U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 AM

11,929 posts, read 20,372,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You check in on Facebook when going to Walmart?

Why?
If I recall correctly, itís a setting, so it checks in automatically. Itís not like you have to pull out your phone and check in.

Itís a great advertising feature for retailers, even better feature for people casing your house.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:20 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
weird - I thought I remembered reading your post which said you had purchased a very inexpensive modest condo, not too long ago. But now you say you're renting and your mother and aunt are suggesting or pressuring you to buy a dwelling instead.

And also that you had broken up with your handicapped girlfriend. Maybe you broke up, but got back together.

Maybe you blew up at your aunt's comment about LBGT and Gay Pride parade or Gay Pride Day because you're conflicted about your bisexuality? Or maybe you're okay with your bisexuality - you haven't exactly said. It could be making you a little uncomfortable in your own skin - or you might be at peace with it - sensing a little conflict though. Maybe you were defending LBGT and Gay Pride events with your aunt whose comment made you blow up - and a defense rightfully so by you.
I sold the condo a couple months back when my team moved to a different city.

I'm hoping to get to a Raleigh or Nashville. I just wanted more flexibility on that front.

I've only seen her a couple times since I went on vacation. I miss her and she'll FaceTime me, but it feels "done" at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM

6,211 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

You keep dumping these never-ending, hard to believe dramas on the retirement forum. I have no idea why, since posting them doesn't seem to ever help you resolve any problems. I've seen people give you solutions dozens and dozens of times, but there's always a million excuses why you can do any of them. Not even the most simple ones. Meanwhile, the sagas get increasingly hard to believe. .......

Meanwhile, none of this has anything to do with retirement. In fact, even the mom issue isn't really a retirement issue, since she hasn't retired yet. This nonsense belongs on the Relationship Forum.
I could not agree more except for the last comments. The OP needs to get off the forums, get off the internet, stop drinking and go forth in life. That could start by finding a good job away from the past problems. Of course, that will do no good unless the OP also grows up.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

When I moved back here in 2016....
How was everything being handled back in 2016? Did you immediately step in or was it gradual? Were all their health situations significantly better then so this wasn't coming into play?

Just trying to figure out how you got into this situation and the best way to get out.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:59 AM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. You keep dumping these never-ending, hard to believe dramas on the retirement forum. I have no idea why, since posting them doesn't seem to ever help you resolve any problems. I've seen people give you solutions dozens and dozens of times, but there's always a million excuses why you can't do any of them. Not even the most simple ones. Meanwhile, the sagas get increasingly hard to believe. Maybe it's the sheer number of them. Plus the condo story, the never ending girlfriend story, the bisexual saga, and the work dramas seem to have inconsistencies. Of course, maybe I'm just a jaded person; I'm sure there are possible explanations. But dude, most of those explanations end up pointing to you creating your own problems for yourself. If anyone is taking advantage of you, it's you.

And I see we have a new drama about people seeing you're at Wal-Mart because of the way you post on Facebook. Another situation where people give you extremely simple solutions, but will you follow them? Of course not, why make a simple change to how you post on FB when you can make excuses that will allow you to keep creating dramas for yourself?

Meanwhile, none of this has anything to do with retirement. At first I thought it was sort of a retirement topic, since it was about your mom. But now it seems like the saga about mom is nothing more than an excuse to bring up all the old familiar dramas. And mom isn't even a retiree, I see, just someone talking about retiring. This belongs on the Relationship Forum.
Sometimes it helps to just post things and get them off your chest

I do that here sometimes. I have issues with my siblings that drive me crazy. After i let it all out, i feel better, but of course it will flair up again.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:02 PM

OP - don't worry too much about them being 60 and not really settled in life

Heck i am 59 and am amazed at the number of people 70 and older that i know still make "plans". And i'm not talking about going on a cruise/vacation

This is things that you would think would have already been done and taken care of - credit card bills, mortgages, car payments etc. Its amazing. You get older, but think you still have all the time in the world

And really you do. What the heck will happen if you never pay your mortgage and you die - nada. You are dead.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 3,042,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If I recall correctly, itís a setting, so it checks in automatically. Itís not like you have to pull out your phone and check in.

Itís a great advertising feature for retailers, even better feature for people casing your house.

Not true. One has to take action to check in someplace on FB.

Quote:
But dude, most of those explanations end up pointing to you creating your own problems for yourself. If anyone is taking advantage of you, it's you.

True. We only let people treat us as we want to be treated.

Also - just because the phone rings doesn't mean one has to answer it.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM

533 posts, read 248,505 times
SC, I'm sorry you are going through all this---it is quite overwhelming.

You've got to find a way to motivate yourself to get moving and make some changes. Perhaps pick one specific thing----diet choices, drinking less, exercising more, saying "no" to family members or girl friend---pick one specific thing each week to work on and go forward from there.

I wish you well. But only you can effect change by how you react to the demands placed on you.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Sometimes it helps to just post things and get them off your chest

I do that here sometimes. I have issues with my siblings that drive me crazy. After i let it all out, i feel better, but of course it will flair up again.

I get what you're saying. One thing I've noticed about you, Clem, is when you feel a need to vent you put posts that in the Chat Thread, instead of starting a new thread for it. That shows respect for the rest of us, and I appreciate it.

SC, I still maintain that the place to post your relationship dramas is in the Relationship Forum. But if you really feel you have to post it here, at least put it in the Chat Thread. You'll get plenty of responses there, and probably a lot less flak.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying. One thing I've noticed about you, Clem, is when you feel a need to vent you put posts that in the Chat Thread, instead of starting a new thread for it. That shows respect for the rest of us, and I appreciate it.

SC, I still maintain that the place to post your relationship dramas is in the Relationship Forum. But if you really feel you have to post it here, at least put it in the Chat Thread. You'll get plenty of responses there, and probably a lot less flak.
or the non-relationship forum or caregiving

Since he is an only child, i can understand how he feels he needs to do these things

We have a friend that says we are lucky to have so many in our family. But with large number of siblings - 11 - it can be a pain too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or