Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 02:14 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times

Advertisements

For goodness sakes, they are not in their 80s. Go live your life. It is possible to do that right where you are. Go see a therapist to learn how to say "No" & "that won't work for me". Your time is just as valuable as theirs is. You are not their house staff, or are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 PM

535 posts, read 343,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem with this whole retirement scenario is that she hasn't seem to have thought about it (or at least talked about it) before the last six months or so. There have been some staff departures and other changes at work that she doesn't like, but virtually everyone has been dealing with that. It seems fairly spur of the moment. His employer also laid off about half their staff. It's not like his employment is that stable either. Her banking job is going to be a lot more stable than manufacturing.

If he gets laid off, they are toast.

I don't understand Dad's logic at all. It's not like she's ever been pressed to do anything after work, but she has previously at least done her laundry and such. She went shopping last night - no idea if she got anything, but then she complained that she doesn't want to do the laundry to go to the beach. They leave Saturday morning. The lawn hasn't been mowed in two weeks due to all the rain, so my guess is that he'll be doing all the lawn work Friday during the day, doing all the laundry, packing most things - meanwhile, Mom will spend most of the evening watching television.

He works a very physical job. I've been helping them on a lot of the house stuff lately. What's going to happen to him when he's having to mow the acre plus on a hill, do all the housework, work full-time, etc., into his 60s, while Mom probably does little to nothing? Several of his uncles died after sudden heart attacks in their 60s. Mom has said they "can't relocate," so I don't know what their options are.

The bottom line is that what might have seemed fine two decades ago when they were 40 and I was 12 (big house needing a lot of work, big, hilly yard with lots of trees, lots of pets) is not appropriate at 60 nearing retirement with health issues. Adjustments really haven't been made.
Go live your life and act poor. In other words, don't help them financially if they run into trouble. Quit being their "go to" person in times of trouble. QUIT helping them. Tell your mom to view the laundry as going to the gym. She needs the exercise. Offer to go on walks with her, NOT help with the chores. She is 60, not 80.
You are also better off assisting them with healthy meals.
Tell her to quit acting as if she's 80.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:30 PM

150 posts, read 143,311 times
People:

He is not looking for advice. Much has been given with no acknowledgement.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:22 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni78 View Post
People:

He is not looking for advice. Much has been given with no acknowledgement.
He works all day, then spends evenings running around for his parents and girlfriend. He will come back to respond eventually.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Age 61 and 62 are not considered "elderly" anymore.

I'm not sure what can be done about morbid obesity. Even the people I know who had weight loss surgery, all of them gained the weight back eventually.

But I would stop doing her laundry.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:16 PM

37,616 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I am going to ask you the question I finally asked myself after my 52 year old mom moved in with us for 20 years.
52??? 20 years?? Eek!!

Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
The OP is also a drinker.

He's overweight.

Has unhealthy relationships.

Uses alcohol to self-medicate.

Otherwise, he sounds like a very nice guy.

He needs to get a spine and live his own life - either in his current town, or move FAR AWAY!

If you think about it, his problems are kind of an excuse not to step up to the plate of his own life and claim it!

Get rid of these whiney, lazy people feeding off of your co-dependence, OP!

Get a life!

Have fun!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you think about it, his problems are kind of an excuse not to step up to the plate of his own life and claim it!

Get rid of these whiney, lazy people feeding off of your co-dependence, OP!
I think you're right, and perhaps that is what he needs to hear: Co-dependance. That seems to be the root of his problems.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think you're right, and perhaps that is what he needs to hear: Co-dependance. That seems to be the root of his problems.
Yes, it can be a great feeling to think that so much rests on you rushing in to save the day...and the righteous thinking that you're the only good and healthy one doing so. Meanwhile you're not only hurting yourself but those you purportedly want to help.

OP - this is not just a pattern with your family but also your GF - you picked someone that seems to require as much aid as your parents!

So, let your parents struggle a little. Without your help, your father's eyes may open (further) and he can put some pressure on your mother in a way you cannot. Help him to help her, by stopping your help!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Live your own life, Put yourself first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement