U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 04:40 AM

12,287 posts, read 15,181,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Why are retired people hanging around college campuses? That's creepy.
Maybe to the young students seeing all those old women and men hanging around there. But a lot of them want to learn new things, or just navigate the online world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 AM

12,677 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
@ 70 years old I'll just say that society has gone to hell in a hand bag since I was a kid..anyone my age would certainly agree..
Hmmm. Seems more like to hell in a smartphone to me.

All those people with their heads buried in phones and the rest of their anatomy up in the air. A culture of humanoid ostriches pawing their external hemorrhoids.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 AM

19,515 posts, read 20,889,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

All those people with their heads buried in phones and the rest of their anatomy up in the air. A culture of humanoid ostriches pawing their external hemorrhoids.
Time for a Prep H Apocalypse!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 AM

1,629 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Another thing that has changed is proper grammar and spelling. ... People just don't seem to care anymore and I feel sorry for those who do care and do try but were never taught grammar in school. ... I realize that all of us make typos and other errors, and of course there is autocorrect on the phones, but in today's culture there are a lot of people who don't know how to speak or write the English language even though they are native born Americans. ...Apparently grammar and spelling are no longer taught in schools. ...AND it's shocking to me that a college graduate cannot read anything unless it's in printing. I don't expect perfect formal English on CD, but out in the world when you see these errors on signs and in newspapers and magazines--everywhere, actually, it seems to indicate that people just don't know or don't care anymore.

Where's a "standing ovation" emoji when you need one? (Thumbs-up will do, but your post definitely qualifies for more than that. )

One of the more irksome local examples of what you describe was a sign in my former town's public library media section that said DVD's and CD's . This was in a library, for Pete's sake -- one would assume that someone working in a place devoted to reading would be aware of proper punctuation and correct the error but the sign remained even after I brought it to their attention. For all I know, it may still be there (I moved to another town six years ago.) As you say, many people simply don't care.

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw my 35-year-old son write anything in cursive other than his signature on a check or order form....but can't. That preference goes back to his high school days in the early 2000s, so I think the shift away from cursive may well have begun during the 1990s.

On the other hand (no pun intended!) I prefer to write in cursive but I'll be the first to admit that it would probably be more readable if I didn't. I'm an impatient/fast writer and the results demonstrate that. My father had an equally bad -- if not worse -- handwriting but my mom's was excellent. She'd learned it via the Palmer Method but her efforts to teach it to me were obviously futile.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue View Post
The view on retirement changed. People are so spoiled they think they need a million dollars to retire.

A couple who earns close to 17K yr gross, or $1200 a month after deductions with health insurance & renting rv spots....whose fixed monthly expenses is half that ($600 mo) is living a "bare bones retirement".

Despite having a brand new 1000 sq ft home w/pool, no utility bills, access to the best food around (plenty of organic fruit & vegetables) Internet w/ aa wall projector, landline, cell, 3 computers,

toys- bikes, motorcycles paddleboats, etc, contributing $5500 a year to the retirement account, 1 pick up truck, 1 newer car, involved in the Sierra Club, volunteer work, fish, socialize. Who also lost 75lbs due to their new diet of real food.

During the great depression, or even prior, what would they have thought about all of this today?

Would they deem this lifestyle as "work"? inquiring minds want to know oops wrong forum! sorry
Sure, they may only need $17k gross at that point, but you're not getting to that point earning so little income for much of your life.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:07 AM

5,156 posts, read 6,347,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw my 35-year-old son write anything in cursive other than his signature on a check or order form....but can't. That preference goes back to his high school days in the early 2000s, so I think the shift away from cursive may well have begun during the 1990s.

On the other hand (no pun intended!) I prefer to write in cursive but I'll be the first to admit that it would probably be more readable if I didn't. I'm an impatient/fast writer and the results demonstrate that. My father had an equally bad -- if not worse -- handwriting but my mom's was excellent. She'd learned it via the Palmer Method but her efforts to teach it to me were obviously futile.
Who remembers submitting writing specimens in elementary school? If I remember correctly, we would submit a writing specimen around four times a year to Peterson writing. I was wondering if they still exist and was surprised to find the company's website. See https://peterson-handwriting.com/ The company started in 1908.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 AM

1,508 posts, read 677,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Walking along the sidewalk, but staring at a smartphone instead of watching where you're going --
I see this a lot, but that doesn't make it any less strange.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:02 AM

1,508 posts, read 677,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Why are retired people hanging around college campuses? That's creepy.
1) To learn stuff?

2) To admire the architecture and landscaping?

3) To visit the grandkids?

4) To see what THEIR tax dollars helped pay for?

Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 PM

12,677 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Walking along the sidewalk, but staring at a smartphone instead of watching where you're going --
I see this a lot, but that doesn't make it any less strange.
Yup, agreed. Every morning, even saw a young woman never lift her eyes from her phone, suddenly turn off the sidewalk and walk smack into the side of a car coming through the roundabout. She was spun around fell on the roadway....and screamed, "My phone, my phone" as people rushed to her.

I don't care so much that we ain't what we used to be, but gawd not this!

Old 06-26-2019, 01:15 PM

14,215 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Current music is back in the clutches of Top 40 garbage, and we are back to searching for indie musicians who actually know how to create art. Even truly talented artists like Beyonce have been consumed by the production value crap machine that is mass media music today. Examples? Here's Beyonce.

Who run the world?(Girls)
Who run this motha?(Girls)

Here's a cut from Joni Mitchell's first album.

Peridots and periwinkle blue medallions
Gilded galleons spilled across the ocean floor
Treasure somewhere in the sea and he will find where
Never mind their questions there's no answer for
The roll of the harbor wake
The songs that the rigging makes
The taste of the spray he takes
And he learns to give
He aches and he learns to live
He stakes all his silver
On a promise to be free
Mermaids live in colonies
All his sea dreams come to me

You never heard that one on AM radio, did you?

It's hard to find creative new music. I have a friend who does a show called Papa Dukie's Blues every Friday night on KMUZ (check it out). That's a small, local, subscriber and internet station. Most of what he plays is old stuff, sometimes from the beginning of recorded music, sometimes more modern. BTW, the station is pre-empting the whole day of programming on July 2 for live coverage of the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival. After Katrina, a lot of NOLA blues musicians found a warm welcome in Portland. When they went home, they left a revitalized local blues scene. Check it out.

I can't rep you again for this, but, you have just illustrated why I like the old 50's to maybe 80's music much better than the - stuff - being cranked out today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or