U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 05:22 PM

5,937 posts, read 5,293,703 times

Advertisements

Things like Work/Life Balance did not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 05:28 PM

346 posts, read 160,608 times
Exactly! My parents didn't smoke but we had a half dozen ashtrays since every other person who visited did. Making ashtrays for your parents in Scouts and at school was a common craft project; I made at least two.

Ca. 1982, I worked in a cubicle farm where employees in every cubicle surrounding mine smoked and there was a constant haze. I brought in a primitive air purifier to try to make the air breathable around my desk. There would have been no point in complaining, since the manager also smoked at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I remember people, including me, smoking everywhere: in restaurants, at work, in planes, in cars with kids, in homes in front of sick people... ashtrays were on every flat surface in a living room or den.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:47 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,483,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
The United States is becoming a theocracy and journalism has become a joke.
It may seem that way in the South, but religion is losing ground steadily in most parts of the US, including the South. Religious organizations are allying themselves with political candidates in an attempt to maintain control and/or make religion compulsory, but it's the last gasp of a failing world. The US is headed the way of Europe, where religion is an historic oddity that has no real relevance to modern life.

I was vastly entertained last year at news coverage of a tornado. A woman and her children had ridden out the tornado in a bathtub, and escaped unscathed, though their mobile home was reduced to rubble. A TV reporter interviewed her, and said, "I bet you are thanking the good lord for sparing your life."

She said, "I'm an atheist." The look on his face was classic.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I remember people, including me, smoking everywhere: in restaurants, at work, in planes, in cars with kids, in homes in front of sick people... ashtrays were on every flat surface in a living room or den.
I used to love the Monday morning staff meetings, with a pile of donuts, a big pot of coffee, and a table full of ashtrays. The boss would bring in his inbox and line out our entire department for a week. Sometimes the smoke got so thick we would open a window.

First the cigs went away. Then the donuts went away. Then the staff meetings went away, because nobody wanted to sit in a jail cell with a dozen other people on Monday morning. I quit smoking not long after that, because trying to work during a nicotine fit was a PITA.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

431 posts, read 177,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It may seem that way in the South, but religion is losing ground steadily in most parts of the US, including the South. Religious organizations are allying themselves with political candidates in an attempt to maintain control and/or make religion compulsory, but it's the last gasp of a failing world. The US is headed the way of Europe, where religion is an historic oddity that has no real relevance to modern life.

I was vastly entertained last year at news coverage of a tornado. A woman and her children had ridden out the tornado in a bathtub, and escaped unscathed, though their mobile home was reduced to rubble. A TV reporter interviewed her, and said, "I bet you are thanking the good lord for sparing your life."

She said, "I'm an atheist." The look on his face was classic.
So, a live TV reporter in a nation where "religion is losing ground steadily" is allowed to say what he said, and it made the evening news? Hmmm ....

Religion in Europe is not necessarily "an historic oddity." In Britain, the Head of State is also the Head of the Church and gives an annual Christmas speech (not a winter holiday speech) and an open show of attending church on Christmas morning and Easter Sunday. AFAIK people tend to get married in houses of worship, and, if Christian, to have their children christened, whether or not the parents are active churchgoers themselves.

If religion were "an historic oddity" in Europe, Muslims would not be setting off bombs to destroy themselves along with the non-Muslim "infidels," nor would people be sending money to help restore the Cathedral of Notre Dame, and it would not have made the news all over the world. Instead the fire would have been ignored and the ruins quietly demolished.

But hey. Who restored the World Trade Center twin towers? Hmm?

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
So, a live TV reporter in a nation where "religion is losing ground steadily" is allowed to say what he said, and it made the evening news? Hmmm ....

Religion in Europe is not necessarily "an historic oddity." In Britain, the Head of State is also the Head of the Church and gives an annual Christmas speech (not a winter holiday speech) and an open show of attending church on Christmas morning and Easter Sunday. AFAIK people tend to get married in houses of worship, and, if Christian, to have their children christened, whether or not the parents are active churchgoers themselves.

If religion were "an historic oddity" in Europe, Muslims would not be setting off bombs to destroy themselves along with the non-Muslim "infidels," nor would people be sending money to help restore the Cathedral of Notre Dame, and it would not have made the news all over the world. Instead the fire would have been ignored and the ruins quietly demolished.

But hey. Who restored the World Trade Center twin towers? Hmm?
You can be excused for thinking we are heading for a theocracy if all you do is read the evening news. The queen can be excused for ceremonial religious activities. She is, after all, the head of the Church of England. She gets paid for that.

Muslims are also not representative of a trend. They have recently immigrated from countries that have the death penalty for apostasy. The next generation will not take it so seriously. By the third generation, we will just have to deal with the religious nut cases that are the bane of any religion.

Modern communications are changing the religious landscape. Fifty years ago, people lived their whole life without hearing that religion was nonsense. Anyone unwise enough to mention it in public was faced with real social, and possibly legal, consequences. Nowadays you have Jesus on South Park and reasonable people figuring out that there is no such thing as divine intervention. That's a 1-2 punch that is reducing churches to little more than social clubs with a shrinking membership. There is no reason to suspect that Islam will be any different. Any place there are free elections, the Islamists lose power. Their support even in their heartland is obviously pretty shaky. Hang it up to satellite TV and the internet.

Nobody restored the World Trade Center. It was just office space. Don't imagine that the destructive act by a dozen Saudi nut cases is a map to the future.

Oh, and Notre Dame is a museum. Most times, the only people in the place are tourists. Before the fire, you were lucky to get 100 people in the place for Sunday mass, out of a city the size of Paris.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

792 posts, read 210,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
On a date, it was just her and you. She would look into your eyes and you felt like you were on top of the world. With no cells phones to check, the date was exclusive to the company present. Not til the end of the date when the boy walked the girl home and hoped for a good night kiss did she get on the telephone [on the kitchen wall] to give an update to her best friend on how the date went.
You were boyfriend and girlfriend and after a couple weeks you asked her to go steady with you. Jeri and I had been steady for three weeks when she began to discreetly ask my friends when I was going to kiss her. I was terrified (NewYorkGal, where are you when a guy needs moral support??!!!?)!!!!
You have to understand something. Jeri really liked me a lot. I mean a lot. When I did get up the nerve, I thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest. Somehow, I pulled it off. And Jeri was so overjoyed she could not stop talking about it. In class. And had to write 500 times 'I will not talk in class'.
You see, Jeri had that beautiful combination of blonde hair and brown eyes (Going down the old mine - with a transistor radio -- Van Morrison) and when she looked at me with those brown eyes, I just knew she was the prettiest girl in the world.
We were at her little brothers Little League game when she leaned over and kissed me on the cheek, Man, that was nice... To this day I know that kisses on the cheek are the best.
Now days it is about getting laid.

- Johnny Boy
"Then He Kissed Me" The Chrystals

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,373,396 times
Going to the doctors office where they had ash trays in the waiting room.

The doctor had an ashtray on his desk. For doctors the choice of cigarette was Camel. Youtube "More Doctors Smoke Camels Than Any Other Cigarette"

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Things like Work/Life Balance did not exist.
It did in my family. Dad liked to go to state parks or on a drive in the country on Sunday. We walked trails in the woods, picnicked, and fished. We went out-of-state on a (modest) one week long family vacation in the summer.

Dad was born in 1919, and mom in 1926. They knew how to have fun. There wasn't much of that going on when they were young.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

6,540 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
How about other Lutherans (i.e., Lutherans of other synods)? Did he preach against them too? Like, the Lutherans who couldn't or wouldn't take Communion at this pastor's church because they were of a different Lutheran synod?
No -- this was when I was a kid, before the Seminex schism, so those others were ignored - we're past that now. A former church member who moved away occasionally asks "what's new at church?" - I tell him not much has changed since about 1580.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or