Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

Nothing has changed in my 71 years -we all go to the movies and cheer our hero’s -the only difference is the people sitting around me are cheering the —assassins, pirates, gangsters and witches -instead of those who protect us from them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 05:23 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Typing was a great class, work in my field used computers and most guys my age did not take typing, that was seen as a class for girls. Knowing how to type on a keyboard and not hunting and pecking was an advantage in those early computer days.

We had buses in our large rural school district and I did not walk to school. My parents didn’t bat an eye though when I rode my bike by myself, 1 1/2 miles, along isolated corn fields to summer recreation at the school five days a week in summer. I was 11.

Halloween found us walking in groups of kids, no adults, miles from home. Tree forts in the woods and climbing trees so high the branches bent. Crossing a field to jump a fence and read a book under a stand of pines, and no one knew where I was. As long as I was home for lunch and dinner, the rest of the time was mine. That world doesn’t exist anymore. I’m lucky I lived it and lucky I survived it.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:24 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
BBCjunkie:
well, there's more to that.
skills were dropped as a "requirement".
the Principal said that voice-command was the future.
of course, she was (and is) correct. the elective remained.

QWERTY keyboard is going the way of Morse Code.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I took typing in 9th grade. It is a skill that I still use to this day. When I joined the military, I was in telecommunications and learned how to type on a teletype. That 9th grade typing class gave me a bit of an advantage. Years later, I taught a couple of typing classes. And after I got out of the service, I got a job doing data entry (terrible job). It all began with that 9th grade class. At my peak, I could probably type about 50 words a minute (less than 5 errors) on a teletype which is slower than a typewriter. Now, I don't know how fast I could type. I haven't taken a timed test in a long time.

Cat

Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
I'm noticing that the vast majority of comments are reminiscing on how US culture was better in times past. I'm not saying that is untrue, but I have to wonder if maybe the past is being romanticized to seem better that it actually may have been?

Also, I'm not sure an African American person who was turned away from businesses or forced to the back of the bus not that long ago (when many of this forum would remember) would have the same fond memories?

In full disclosure, I'm not retired but I like to visit this sub forum for the great discussions and information. I really learn a lot from you all!

Last edited by Jowel; 06-19-2019 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 08:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile So, what changed society?

Some of the changes were good ones. More equal footing for many; disabled access, stuff like that but when did we become so scared to have our kids go outside?

When my kids were growing up (1990's), I tried to do the old fashioned birthday parties and everyone had a blast. We gave out a different color of T-shirt and that was their team. No one knew it at the time but it was fun.

Some of other moms looked down on me, I know.

I also picked a neighborhood where we knew the neighbors and the kids would be safe playing outside.

Was it the advertising?

Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
In what ways has U.S. culture changed since you were young?

Everything has changed, everything.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
In the past, public libraries did not sponsor drag queen story time for children at taxpayers’ expense.

Libraries Respond: Drag Queen Story Hour | Advocacy, Legislation & Issues

Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They also have a program here where kids can graduate with a 2year college diploma before they graduate high school!

I have my questions about that.
In the somewhat rural Appalachian town in which I was raised, it was a godsend for students to be able to earn college credit while attending high school as for many of them, it was the only way that they could have afforded a college education. (In Ohio, this program is called "Post-Secondary Option.") It was also a great way to prepare college-bound students for the faster pace of college instruction and the heavier loads of course work associated with it.

The only difference between when I was in high school and the present is is that an entire associates degree can now be earned at the local state university branch and not just credits to give students a financial and educational "jump start" towards a degree.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Typing was a great class, work in my field used computers and most guys my age did not take typing, that was seen as a class for girls. Knowing how to type on a keyboard and not hunting and pecking was an advantage in those early computer days.

I took two years of typing in high school. About 1/3 of the class were boys during the first year, but the second year, there were about 60 girls and two boys. Am I mistaken, but weren't the keys on manual typewriters more widely-spaced than those on keyboards today? I could touch-type very well on those old typewriters, but my hands are way too large to do it on a computer keyboard. I mostly use my two forefingers to type on them. I've searched for a keyboard with wider spacing on the keys, but they don't seem to exist. There are keyboards that are much larger and with extra sections of keys, but their basic keypads are no wider in their spacing.

Another thing is that ever since I shifted to Windows 10 from Vista several years ago, the spacing seems much more difficult to get right. I often have to go back and correct words where the symbols are jammed together and when I try to delete a letter, often, the letter that seems to be next to it is the one that gets changed. It just isn't possible that my finger coordination could be slipping, as years go by. Anyone else noticed this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement