U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 AM
 
6,953 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Reputation: 14779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
A good friend recently told me she doesn't think I'll ever be settled with the decision to retire. I have 330 days (yes I'm keeping count) to go until I'm eligible for federal retirement benefits. She said I'll have to take a leap of faith and see where I land and trust that I'll be OK. I have less than a year and honestly have many reasons why I want to stop working ASAP, but I have started rationalizing why I might keep working indefinitely. Like everyone else, I've evolved over the years and am just tired of getting up at the crack of dawn, commuting, dealing with regulations, playing the work games with people, and the smallest things get under my skin. I've wondered why I'm feeling this contradiction of disliking work, disliking people and want to have fun and be a little more carefree, and at the same time starting to make excuses why I may want to to keep working (stay active, brain stimulation, the money, etc). I've had some health problems recently and have realized anything could happen at any time, we just don't know. So is this the norm for why people want to retire? Just sick of everything about work? My friend retired 10 years a go from teaching and has managed to stay busy, has a nice circle of friends, etc., but my social network was always been work because that's where I have spent 60-70 hours a week for 35 years. And I'm not keen on downsizing and leaving our home, the thought of a retirement village and all the people that go with it makes me cringe, it will kill me to leave here, the privacy, the nature and the fact that we've spent 25 years remodeling this house and it's in great shape. We live rural which to me feels simpler and safer for my taste. Do I need to just take a leap of faith or consider working until I'm sure I'm done. I know no one can make the decision for me. I've been a professional and don't want to spend thousands a year on dues, licensure, continuing education, etc., to keep my license active, so once I lay down the gauntlet, there won't be any turning back. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
From a very quick count that probably missed a few it appears that you have used a first person singular pronoun 34 times and the first person plural four times. It sounds like there's another person involved who should have more to say about the situation than strangers on a message board and who would also know more about the options available to you, their positives and negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2019, 06:55 AM
 
Location: RVA
2,164 posts, read 1,264,598 times
Reputation: 4451
10,000 people a day retire. We just had 1700 retire the same day 3 weeks ago. Once the financials are set, the rest is mental. To suggest that people were dying because they stopped Working, and then living because they came back to work reeks of urban legend. I had regrets of missing the routine positives of something I did for about 40 years, most of it quite enjoyable and well paid. That’s normal, Imho. I also missed high school and college when I graduated. I love learning, having a lot of friends, and naturally (again imho) enjoyed being younger, faster, stronger etc. Retirement typically carries the “getting or already are, old” stigma and that arouses a lot of emotions. If one retired early enough, you will have more years where you are the most carefree you may ever be, assuming money is not an issue. Do what you have a passion for, and ignore everyone else’s naysaying.

If it’s in the cards, you just do what you want, which may or may not be going back to work, or volunteering, or travel, or playing music. Whatever. No telling when I would have stopped working, had a lucrative package not come my way. But I knew I was getting close, because I no longer had the same passion for what I was doing. Just like I clearly remember not being able to wait to graduate HS & college and move on with my life. Looking back I can’t understand why I felt that way, when they were clearly, in retrospect the best times of my life. Thats part of the human condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
Reputation: 17897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
It's harder to make friends the older we get.
Not at all. You have the opportunity to go wherever you want without work getting in the way. You can be spontaneous and not have to have notice to go places or do things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,870 posts, read 1,400,541 times
Reputation: 10071
2012 lost my husband to cancer. age 51
2013 lost my baby brother to cancer age 50
2014 lost my best friend since age 6 to heart attack. age 53.
All of the above scrimped, sacrificed and saved and it got them squat!!


If ever a person got the message that life is short it was me. I got over the OMY syndrome real quick after that. for a minute I really thought I was Job.

I'm 7 months, 10 days, 9 hours until I call it quits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 07:43 AM
 
15 posts, read 3,623 times
Reputation: 61
OP. If you are a federal employee and close to retirement, but need a change of pace/scenery and kind of want to keep working, are you in a series where you can find a job overseas with the federal government? That might be the best of both worlds. Something to consider. My family and I spend eight years overseas with the federal government. We loved it. I am not saying there were not some adversities/challenges, but it was all well worth it. If you already have your "high three", you could even consider a downgrade to get overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Texas
158 posts, read 40,470 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
A good friend recently told me she doesn't think I'll ever be settled with the decision to retire. I have 330 days (yes I'm keeping count) to go until I'm eligible for federal retirement benefits. She said I'll have to take a leap of faith and see where I land and trust that I'll be OK. I have less than a year and honestly have many reasons why I want to stop working ASAP, but I have started rationalizing why I might keep working indefinitely. Like everyone else, I've evolved over the years and am just tired of getting up at the crack of dawn, commuting, dealing with regulations, playing the work games with people, and the smallest things get under my skin. I've wondered why I'm feeling this contradiction of disliking work, disliking people and want to have fun and be a little more carefree, and at the same time starting to make excuses why I may want to to keep working (stay active, brain stimulation, the money, etc). I've had some health problems recently and have realized anything could happen at any time, we just don't know. So is this the norm for why people want to retire? Just sick of everything about work? My friend retired 10 years a go from teaching and has managed to stay busy, has a nice circle of friends, etc., but my social network was always been work because that's where I have spent 60-70 hours a week for 35 years. And I'm not keen on downsizing and leaving our home, the thought of a retirement village and all the people that go with it makes me cringe, it will kill me to leave here, the privacy, the nature and the fact that we've spent 25 years remodeling this house and it's in great shape. We live rural which to me feels simpler and safer for my taste. Do I need to just take a leap of faith or consider working until I'm sure I'm done. I know no one can make the decision for me. I've been a professional and don't want to spend thousands a year on dues, licensure, continuing education, etc., to keep my license active, so once I lay down the gauntlet, there won't be any turning back. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How much planning have you done for retiring financially? What will be your income drop and can you maintain your current financial situation on the income? As a federal employee you will be getting a pension. You should have Thrift Savings Plan to count on as far as $$. You will be able to keep Federal Health Insurance. Expenses will be dropping. As you noted the dues, etc will no longer be necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM
 
6,223 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Reputation: 12746
Well this thread is similar to many. The OP has not joined in or provided any details about the vague initial post.

Mostly we have just seen long posts from Fran telling us how miserable she is. Like that is anything new. That is about all we hear from her. Complaining here is not going to help you and certainly not the OP or others. Miserable and crying every day for months and years on end is not necessary. Please get some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 AM
 
472 posts, read 93,715 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
2012 lost my husband to cancer. age 51
2013 lost my baby brother to cancer age 50
2014 lost my best friend since age 6 to heart attack. age 53.
All of the above scrimped, sacrificed and saved and it got them squat!!


If ever a person got the message that life is short it was me. I got over the OMY syndrome real quick after that. for a minute I really thought I was Job.

I'm 7 months, 10 days, 9 hours until I call it quits.
Eliza, I am sorry for your losses. Like you, I have seen several deaths recently that serve as wake up calls. And also like you, the end (of our work lives) is in sight.... apparently on the same day!

But can I ask... what is "OMY syndrome?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM
 
467 posts, read 106,202 times
Reputation: 1061
Any life change is part "leap of faith"...whether it's a new job, a move over a big distance, having kids, etc.

You can either fear it to the point of not doing it or look at it as your next great life's adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Dayton, OH
600 posts, read 272,175 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Eliza, I am sorry for your losses. Like you, I have seen several deaths recently that serve as wake up calls. And also like you, the end (of our work lives) is in sight.... apparently on the same day!

But can I ask... what is "OMY syndrome?"
One More Year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top