U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:31 AM

4,234 posts, read 7,266,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I find it to be a relief actually. I remember the days I'd find someone really attractive in a store, and I'd try to sneak in as many "pictures" of that person as I could, knowing I'd never see that person again. Then the accompanying sadness!

I really don't know if mankind is turning out more unattractive people or is my age a factor? Even those starring in movies, it's rare I find anyone attractive in movies today. Unless it's Jim Caviezel or Keanu Reeves in it.

Is this something that happens when you get older, and what will it be like when I turn 80?
I am not quite 80 (72 and a Male) but I have great news for you. Unless women are wired totally different than us Men you will still find that twenty something HOTTIE desirable even when you are 80. If what you want to hear is "will I be just as desirable at 80 as I was at 23?",sadly the answer is "probably not".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,122,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I am not quite 80 (72 and a Male) but I have great news for you. Unless women are wired totally different than us Men you will still find that twenty something HOTTIE desirable even when you are 80. If what you want to hear is "will I be just as desirable at 80 as I was at 23?",sadly the answer is "probably not".
So true. It's called sexual attraction. It doesn't mean you become an idiot and think a 23 year old finds you attractive in return. I don't care if you're Jane Fonda. You're not as attractive as you are in your 20s and 30s no matter how thin you are or how much make up you put on or what color you dye your hair. There's a biological reason for that. It's reality.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:45 AM

2,387 posts, read 912,016 times
I find less and less people my age or older attractive. So many do not age well at all. The years of sun and plastered in makeup is finally catching up to them. Can only hide so much behind a mask.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:05 AM

1,910 posts, read 960,948 times
I can remember in my younger days, looking at people and thinking, "Ooh, I wish I had her hair...or that dress...or that figure...."

Now, I look around and think, "Damn, I forgot my glasses again."

Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 AM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times
Just the opposite for me.

I find older people more attractive than I used to. And more people look interesting to me.

Must be losing my mind?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 AM

579 posts, read 170,608 times
Quote:
I find it to be a relief actually. I remember the days I'd find someone really attractive in a store, and I'd try to sneak in as many "pictures" of that person as I could, knowing I'd never see that person again. Then the accompanying sadness!

I really don't know if mankind is turning out more unattractive people or is my age a factor? Even those starring in movies, it's rare I find anyone attractive in movies today. Unless it's Jim Caviezel or Keanu Reeves in it.

Is this something that happens when you get older, and what will it be like when I turn 80?
yet another great post and thought provoking. Thank you for posting such a bold statement.

In spite of growing up in a family who were all about appearances and quite superficial, as a youth and even today I don't agree with their guidelines and always went for those with substance over appearance. Some are eccentric and some were intellectuals and some were struggling through hard emotional times. None fit in with what I was raised to believe as attractive.

The desire to surround myself with intellectuals and people of substance has grown stronger. So in answer to your question, yes, attractive people, as you say, seem fewer and far between when it comes to what I deem attractive.

Does that make sense?

I enjoy intelligence and depth over fake people and finding those qualities is in fact becoming rarer and rarer. That's another thread. But I digress.

Keanu Reeves qualifies on all accounts, btw. It is unusual to find both physical beauty and emotional depth to his level. He's beautiful inside and out, he's the type I seek out to be friends with. But I would like someone like him even if he wasn't, shall I say, hot? He's my man of the year.

Last edited by settled00; 06-23-2019 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 09:44 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,476,566 times
Quote:

I think everyone has a "standard" of what attractive looks like, and often it is linked to one's generational cultures. That kid next to you in line might be very attractive to the other kid in the next line, but someone much older would only see the tats, spiked hair, and piercings and roll their eyes.

It is also true that our standards melt away a little when someone takes a sincere interest in us. One might be put off by a strangers looks, until that stranger becomes a friend.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:10 AM

579 posts, read 170,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
yet another great post and thought provoking. Thank you for posting such a bold statement.

In spite of growing up in a family who were all about appearances and quite superficial, as a youth and even today I don't agree with their guidelines and always went for those with substance over appearance. Some are eccentric and some were intellectuals and some were struggling through hard emotional times. None fit in with what I was raised to believe as attractive.

The desire to surround myself with intellectuals and people of substance has grown stronger. So in answer to your question, yes, attractive people, as you say, seem fewer and far between when it comes to what I deem attractive.

Does that make sense?

I enjoy intelligence and depth over fake people and finding those qualities is in fact becoming rarer and rarer. That's another thread. But I digress.

Keanu Reeves qualifies on all accounts, btw. It is unusual to find both physical beauty and emotional depth to his level. He's beautiful inside and out, he's the type I seek out to be friends with. But I would like someone like him even if he wasn't, shall I say, hot? He's my man of the year.
now that I think of it, Keanue is attractive because of his depth and compassion. It makes him who he is --not his looks, although one cannot deny his physical attributes have opened doors and is probably the main reason he is a candidate for TIME's man of the year.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:40 PM

56,079 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
People forget Martha Stewart started life as a photo model. Once I mentioned to a young woman in my office that she looked like Elizabeth Taylor. She was insulted that I would compare her to an elderly hag. Of course, I had a 20 year old Elizabeth Taylor in mind. I had a similar response from mentioning that a young woman looked a lot like Katherine Hepburn.
My friend's mom said, when Liz had reached her older years, "When we were young, we all wanted to look like Elizabeth Taylor...and now we do."

Another friend was told by a man she worked with that she reminded him of Eleanor Roosevelt, whom he apparently admired...but she did not feel complimented. There was a resemblance, but I wasn't going to say anything!

Old 06-23-2019, 01:42 PM

56,079 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I get up, look in the mirror, and

Then I go out and see how so many people are younger and more attractive than ever before.
"Inside every old person is a young person, surprised."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or