U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:50 PM

6,293 posts, read 3,566,992 times

Advertisements

We were out for dinner the other night and our waitress was the very picture of a young Elsa Lanchester complete with a halo of flaming hair.

I told her how beautiful she was and who she looked like but, of course, she had never heard of the actress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 01:59 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
So true. It's called sexual attraction. It doesn't mean you become an idiot and think a 23 year old finds you attractive in return. I don't care if you're Jane Fonda. You're not as attractive as you are in your 20s and 30s no matter how thin you are or how much make up you put on or what color you dye your hair. There's a biological reason for that. It's reality.
Although, this works out for some of us. I was not at all attractive in my 20s. But now, at 60, life seems to have evened out a bit. I didn't suddenly become gorgeous, but now I look OK for my age. That terrible oily skin from my youth gives me fewer wrinkles than some. That thick, wavy, flyaway hair that I spent way too much time trying to straighten doesn't show my scalp the way you can see on some women my age.

That height, straight back, and strong bone structure that made me the target of Amazon jokes since I was 14 years old now holds up my body pretty well, and I am still relatively strong. I never had the huge boobs that well-endowed girls got to fling to and fro in the boys' faces for attention, but neither do I have sagging breasts somewhere down around my waist or spend time boo hoo hoo-ing about bra straps cutting my shoulders.

I'm not going to claim that I look ten years younger than I do, but I look pretty good for 60. I will never be described as a pretty woman, but now, at this age, I am quite comfortable in my own skin and no longer feel embarrassed by my appearance or feel I have to work twice as hard as everyone else just to look acceptable. Could lose a few pounds, but I am not morbidly obese. I can easily touch my toes, and I can lie down on the floor and get myself up without using my hands, so there.

And I have a happy relationship with a man a few years older than I am, who, when in a candlelit room with my glasses off, looks just like Chris Hemsworth playing Thor.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 6,249,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I find it to be a relief actually. I remember the days I'd find someone really attractive in a store, and I'd try to sneak in as many "pictures" of that person as I could, knowing I'd never see that person again. Then the accompanying sadness!

I really don't know if mankind is turning out more unattractive people or is my age a factor? Even those starring in movies, it's rare I find anyone attractive in movies today. Unless it's Jim Caviezel or Keanu Reeves in it.

Is this something that happens when you get older, and what will it be like when I turn 80?

Sad when definition of "attractive" means just physical appearance.

What I want to know is what you mean by:

Quote:
I find it to be a relief actually. I remember the days I'd find someone really attractive in a store, and I'd try to sneak in as many "pictures" of that person as I could, knowing I'd never see that person again.

If you are talking about sneaking camera shots of unknowing people, that's SICK!!!!

Old 06-23-2019, 02:10 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Sad when definition of "attractive" means just physical appearance.

What I want to know is what you mean by:

If you are talking about sneaking camera shots of unknowing people, that's SICK!!!!
I don't think the OP meant taking actual pictures.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:47 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Although, this works out for some of us. I was not at all attractive in my 20s. But now, at 60, life seems to have evened out a bit. I didn't suddenly become gorgeous, but now I look OK for my age. That terrible oily skin from my youth gives me fewer wrinkles than some. That thick, wavy, flyaway hair that I spent way too much time trying to straighten doesn't show my scalp the way you can see on some women my age.

That height, straight back, and strong bone structure that made me the target of Amazon jokes since I was 14 years old now holds up my body pretty well, and I am still relatively strong. I never had the huge boobs that well-endowed girls got to fling to and fro in the boys' faces for attention, but neither do I have sagging breasts somewhere down around my waist or spend time boo hoo hoo-ing about bra straps cutting my shoulders.

I'm not going to claim that I look ten years younger than I do, but I look pretty good for 60. I will never be described as a pretty woman, but now, at this age, I am quite comfortable in my own skin and no longer feel embarrassed by my appearance or feel I have to work twice as hard as everyone else just to look acceptable. Could lose a few pounds, but I am not morbidly obese. I can easily touch my toes, and I can lie down on the floor and get myself up without using my hands, so there.

And I have a happy relationship with a man a few years older than I am, who, when in a candlelit room with my glasses off, looks just like Chris Hemsworth playing Thor.
This is what really counts, being comfortable in your own skin. Yes, men as well as women go through pressures when young about looks. The good looking people are usually the most popular and have the most friends among other benefits. I once read a study about good looking people having a better chance of getting a higher paying job too, regardless of qualifications.
I've never been especially good looking and now at my age 60, I'm very good with it. I like who I am. I still try not to be overweight and dress fairly nicely, not dumpy but I really don't care too much what other people think of my looks. It's not my problem.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:51 PM

9,125 posts, read 2,996,123 times
Quote:
I find it to be a relief actually. I remember the days I'd find someone really attractive in a store, and I'd try to sneak in as many "pictures" of that person as I could, knowing I'd never see that person again. Then the accompanying sadness!

I really don't know if mankind is turning out more unattractive people or is my age a factor? Even those starring in movies, it's rare I find anyone attractive in movies today. Unless it's Jim Caviezel or Keanu Reeves in it.

Is this something that happens when you get older, and what will it be like when I turn 80?

It's true that as years go by, my standards for measuring the physical qualities of women have risen steeply. I've looked at movies I first watched 20 or 30 years ago, in which there were women who I regarded as quite good-looking and well-constructed. But when I see these same movies today, I marvel at how I could ever have thought those women were well-shaped at all. I imagine that my standards for such things as a teenager and for all younger men, were even lower. Young boys seem to be easily impressed by the attractiveness of girls and I guess it takes years of refinement, before they become more discerning. There's barely one woman out of a thousand today, who evokes even a glimmer of interest from me.

Of course, there's also the fact that the majority of people in our society today, are fatter and flabbier than ever before. There's still some who are really sharp and stand out, but they come along more seldom than before. I dread that eventually, our standards of beauty may shift to accommodate these sloppy types, who may suppress the concept of the past about the desirability to be lean and trim, with just their sheer numbers.

On a variation of this subject, that was discussed by some previous posters, the aspect of age and attractiveness is something that is quite subjective for different people. There are a few younger women who apparently really find older guys interesting, completely apart from their status or wealth. It doesn't seem that as many younger guys are interested in women who are showing some age. Although a woman who is still sharp at age 40, can get a lot of attention from much younger men, although their interest is probably mostly carnal and short-term. Every now and then, a teen-aged girl or one slightly older, will give me a really sweet smile. Are these just charity smiles? I'm not so foolish as to try to find out the answer, in those incidents.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 06-23-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-23-2019, 09:15 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

No activity is sick, without context of motivation and circumstances. Photos are a means of retaining memories, and when traveling, I'm free to photograph anything I'm free to look at.

Publicly announced non-professional medical analyses are also sick..

Old 06-23-2019, 10:14 PM

405 posts, read 73,195 times
No, I believe it's just the opposite: the older I get, the better previous "oldsters" look.

Now, I've never liked tatted up people, unusual piercings, I don't know what these folks are trying to prove, but I think it looks hideous!

Thx

Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 AM

580 posts, read 177,117 times
I'm reminded of a scene from the 80's movie "Barfly" with Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway, it was some of his best work, IMHO, on par with "The Wrestler", another great role for him - he's truly under-rated.

But anyway, his character is sitting at a bar, and says (paraphrased): "I like people, I have friends. I just like it better when they're not around".

Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 AM

580 posts, read 177,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's true that as years go by, my standards for measuring the physical qualities of women have risen steeply. I've looked at movies I first watched 20 or 30 years ago, in which there were women who I regarded as quite good-looking and well-constructed. But when I see these same movies today, I marvel at how I could ever have thought those women were well-shaped at all. I imagine that my standards for such things as a teenager and for all younger men, were even lower. Young boys seem to be easily impressed by the attractiveness of girls and I guess it takes years of refinement, before they become more discerning. There's barely one woman out of a thousand today, who evokes even a glimmer of interest from me.

Of course, there's also the fact that the majority of people in our society today, are fatter and flabbier than ever before. There's still some who are really sharp and stand out, but they come along more seldom than before. I dread that eventually, our standards of beauty may shift to accommodate these sloppy types, who may suppress the concept of the past about the desirability to be lean and trim, with just their sheer numbers.

On a variation of this subject, that was discussed by some previous posters, the aspect of age and attractiveness is something that is quite subjective for different people. There are a few younger women who apparently really find older guys interesting, completely apart from their status or wealth. It doesn't seem that as many younger guys are interested in women who are showing some age. Although a woman who is still sharp at age 40, can get a lot of attention from much younger men, although their interest is probably mostly carnal and short-term. Every now and then, a teen-aged girl or one slightly older, will give me a really sweet smile. Are these just charity smiles? I'm not so foolish as to try to find out the answer, in those incidents.
Yep, standards of beauty among different cultures vary widely, just look at some of the primitives whose females stretch their neck with rings, bind their feet with rope, insert plates into their lips, or tie long gourds around their wedding vegetables such that they are suspended perpendicular to their bodies. Even western culture can vary widely, going from Michelangelo's "David" to desiring the "voluptuous" in the 1800's which gave way to "Twiggy" in the 1960's, we just can't seem to make up our collective minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or