U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 PM

1,622 posts, read 557,035 times

Advertisements

Guess I'm the anomaly because I dread being called for jury duty. Yes I know it's my responsibility as a citizen, yadda yadda, but after having worked in a law office, being married to and then divorced from an attorney (and thus had to move in that social circle for decades) I have such a cynical and suspicious attitude toward lawyers that I am now automatically hostile to any of them in a courtroom setting. So I would not be a good juror because I always assume that all trial attorneys are unethical sharks, LOL

The other reason is that due to various medical conditions I can't sit for long periods of time without major discomfort without orthopedic cushioning; I also have to eat small amounts of food roughly every 2 hours and make sure I'm properly hydrated which of course entails bathroom breaks. None of those three things are conducive to a courtroom setting where jurors need to sit for hours on end. So every time I get a questionnaire I do return it, as required by law, but I always detail those issues in the Remarks section.

My state is one of only about a dozen that does NOT automatically exempt seniors from jury duty. Most states automatically take you off the rolls once you turn 65 or 70, depending on the state. Many Federal courts have an upper age limit of 70 but it depends on the specific Federal District Court located in a specific state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd like to be on an "interesting" case that wasn't extremely well known.
I was on the jury for a murder case in the 1990s. It was one of the most fascinating things I've ever listened to.

The only other time I was on a jury was a forgery case. The defendant was a police officer. The minute the foreman said, "Guilty" she was no longer a police officer.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,711,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Guess I'm the anomaly because I dread being called for jury duty. Yes I know it's my responsibility as a citizen, yadda yadda, but after having worked in a law office, being married to and then divorced from an attorney (and thus had to move in that social circle for decades) I have such a cynical and suspicious attitude toward lawyers that I am now automatically hostile to any of them in a courtroom setting. So I would not be a good juror because I always assume that all trial attorneys are unethical sharks, LOL

The other reason is that due to various medical conditions I can't sit for long periods of time without major discomfort without orthopedic cushioning; I also have to eat small amounts of food roughly every 2 hours and make sure I'm properly hydrated which of course entails bathroom breaks. None of those three things are conducive to a courtroom setting where jurors need to sit for hours on end. So every time I get a questionnaire I do return it, as required by law, but I always detail those issues in the Remarks section.

My state is one of only about a dozen that does NOT automatically exempt seniors from jury duty. Most states automatically take you off the rolls once you turn 65 or 70, depending on the state. Many Federal courts have an upper age limit of 70 but it depends on the specific Federal District Court located in a specific state.
I socialized with judges and attorneys for most of my career -- and then, of course, I saw MANY attorneys almost every day, because there weren't just trials, there were hearings -- many hearings -- also. I never thought of attorneys an unethical sharks. I never knew any sharks personally. I did many, many incompetent attorneys -- and I think that is the big problem.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,711,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WankelThis View Post
I was on a civil trial a few years ago. It lasted three weeks. Some of the older jurors fell asleep, especially after lunch. Although lot of it was boring, you had to pay attention. There were times when you just wanted to scream out "How many times do you have to ask the same question in different ways?" At least in Colorado, jurors were allowed to submit written questions to the witnesses, subject to review by the judge and lawyers, so that kept it interesting. Some jurors did not want to pay attention to the jury instructions from the judge (we had 53 instructions). There were personality conflicts during deliberations. And during the trial, all you had was a chair to sit in, but know that the lawyers on both sides submitted several 3 inch binders of written materials for the jurors to review. Ever tried to balance a 3 inch binder on your lap and try to take notes at the same time? Some jurors put their binders on the railing. Of course they fell off and split open. Good times. LOL.
LOLOLOLOL Yeah, I remember. LOLOLOLOLOL I also remember a judge who, shortly after Simpson was convicted, who started out voir dire by smiling, "This trial [a civil trial] is more than likely not going to NEARLY as interesting as The OJ Sompson case." And the courtroom erupted into laughter -- including the attorneys.

I really liked what I did when I was a courtroom clerk. Family Law (divorce, custody, domestic violence, TROs) was rough -- sometimes very sad and often very painful -- and Probate taught me just how nasty people can get when it comes to money (omg, I came to believe in Vampires -- LOL), but the Civil cases and attorneys -- they were great. And lots of times they were even fun.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 PM

9,800 posts, read 5,476,447 times
It is not that I dodge jury duty but..........

.......I know too much. As I have been told for a criminal trial, "any lawyer worth his salt would drop you like a hot balloon in a fraction of a second".

I might get picked up for a civil trial but once again, I know too much.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 PM

8,388 posts, read 9,134,430 times
I’m tired of being called for jury duty every year. We don’t have that much crime, but a lot of people here tend to ignore jury summons. I’ll be exempt in 6 months due to being 70.

The last two times I had to show up were interesting. I worked with cops. The judge (who knew me)asked I if could be impartial. I said I take what cops say at face value so no. Our cops are good and honest, so an easy decision. I got dismissed. Second trial. The judge asked if I was familiar with the facts of the case. I said yes. In an article in our local paper the defendant confessed to the arresting officer that he did set fire to building. I stated that to the court and the jury pool. I was sent home and the defendant ended up pleading guilty.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
I just got a jury qualification form, but in California if you are at least 70 you can opt out. One benefit of being old!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
I was on a jury two years ago. The case was interesting, but it was over and done in a couple of hours. The defendant represented himself and didn't do a very good job of it.
Old saying...He who represents himself has a fool for a client. I first heard that when one on my coworkers was arrested for possession of cocaine and decided to represent himself. During one of those pretrial hearings the judge misquoted the amount of cocaine he was charged with possessing, so my coworker quickly corrects him by saying he only had an ounce of cocaine on him. What a fool...you just confessed to how much cocaine you had! His last name was Horton and from then on he was known as Snortin' Horton.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:02 AM

98 posts, read 41,378 times
I'm one of those who would like to be on a jury at least once to experience it. I've been summoned exactly 3 times in my life, and never gotten to the point where I was considered or questioned. Several of my coworkers seemed to get summoned every year, and a couple of them actually got to serve. We were in LE, (dispatchers, not sworn), but that never exempted any of them.

I just was never able to figure out why some got called every year, and others almost never. Maybe I'm on some kind of government "do not call" list. ;~)

Old 06-21-2019, 02:26 AM

14,255 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
Each time Iím called to jury duty, I always wear an appropriate shirt.

I saw someone who wore a similar shirt to jury duty. The judge did not see the humor and held the prospective juror in contempt. After he apologized, he was fined $100 and told to reverse the shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or