U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:15 AM

1,316 posts, read 832,470 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Arizona for four years. I've gotten a summons three times! Two for state and one for federal. One was dismissed before trial. I wasn't selected to serve for the other two cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 07:40 PM

9,743 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
...This one is a first, for me.

DH just packed up his car and headed back to California. There's an amateur radio event this weekend he wants to do with his Stanford group. OK, that's not weird. Many -- maybe even most -- hams are retired.
M
He's also clutching a jury summons and hopes to be selected for a jury.

Well, more power to him, doing his civic duty and all that. We are a two-state household: I'm a resident of 48 and he's still hoping the next time he crosses the border it will have reverted to the California of the 1950s.

That event would be the annual Amateur Radio Field Day. Field Day

My husband is off with a few of his fellow ham friends participating in Field Day in a friend's cabin cruiser docked behind his home.

I've been summoned for jury duty three times, got to serve on a jury once, in the county municipal court. It was very interesting, the trial lasted about 2. 5 days and at that point they were successful in getting the defendent to agree to a plea deal. I recall after the trial was concluded, the judge asked the jury, attorneys and any of the law students observing the trial
if we wanted to stay and discuss the trial, to ask questions and discuss some things that couldn't be brought up during the trial. I found that the most interesting.

My husband has always wanted to serve on a jury, but he never has. He's been called for jury duty several times, and he got close once. He was actually selected for a jury, and the trial waa set to begin after lunch. So the jurors went to lunch, and got back, ready to take their places on the jury, but instead they were informed they were all dismissed and could go home. No explanations or reasons were given. But on his metro train commute home, my husband happened to see the bailiff working with this jury, and asked him what had happened. The bailiff told my husband that the defendent had escaped from the courthouse during the lunch break.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:46 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That event would be the annual Amateur Radio Field Day. Field Day
Also known as "Goody! I get to shop all weekend!"

That's just what I do. I don't know what the other wives do. Wait until he finds out I bought a treadmill.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 PM

185 posts, read 31,102 times
I was exempt from regular jury duty for 20+ years as military although I was in the pool for a general court marshal once and served on a special court marshal. Since being eligible for normal jury duty about 8 years ago, I have received 3 summons - 2 county and 1 federal, and I served on one jury. The federal one had to fill out about 10 pages on experiences and history.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
I've been called several times, got to voir dire once on a civil case and was dismissed by the plaintiff who was representing himself in a case against a major cosmetics manufacturer. What a dodo. We were told what the case was about before the voir dire questions started, and he asked nonsensical questions of the prospective jurors that had no relation to the topic of the case, but he was trying to delve into the jurors occupations, and disqualify people based upon those facts. WTH???

I did get to serve once on a criminal trial. The trial turned out to be an utter waste of everyone's time. The defendant was accused of evading police. We had some cop haters on the jury and they just refused to consider the facts and voted "not guilty" no matter what the facts showed. We wasted 3 days (one day for selection, one day of trial, one day of deliberation) of the time for the jurors, the judge, the court officers, the lawyers, the defendant, etc. on a very petty charge.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Also known as "Goody! I get to shop all weekend!"

That's just what I do. I don't know what the other wives do. Wait until he finds out I bought a treadmill.

ROFL!!! I hear ya. I've generally been roped into our local ham radio club's Field Day activities ( I have a ham license too), but this year I begged off, using instructions to take it easy ( and no driving or lifting yet) after some recent minor surgery as my excuse.

Enjoy your treadmill.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I've given you rep today! -- and found two other of your posts where I would love to give rep, but C-D won't let me!

I lived in coastal Southern CA for 57 years. If I could move back to the coastal CA of the 50s, 60s, even 70s -- I'd move back there in the next 5 minutes. It really was heaven 'back then'. Now it's like living in an overstuffed sardine can that can't go more than 2 mph down any street/freeway. A bit of an exaggeration -- but not by much. I retired 8 years early just to get out of CA! I don't even bother visiting anymore. What a mess it's become.
Yes, and yes. I feel the same way when I go back to visit. I get stressed before I even get to my destination when I go back to visit family. One hour on the freeways and back in the sprawl and I can't wait to get away again.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've been called several times, got to voir dire once on a civil case and was dismissed by the plaintiff who was representing himself in a case against a major cosmetics manufacturer. What a dodo. We were told what the case was about before the voir dire questions started, and he asked nonsensical questions of the prospective jurors that had no relation to the topic of the case, but he was trying to delve into the jurors occupations, and disqualify people based upon those facts. WTH???

I did get to serve once on a criminal trial. The trial turned out to be an utter waste of everyone's time. The defendant was accused of evading police. We had some cop haters on the jury and they just refused to consider the facts and voted "not guilty" no matter what the facts showed. We wasted 3 days (one day for selection, one day of trial, one day of deliberation) of the time for the jurors, the judge, the court officers, the lawyers, the defendant, etc. on a very petty charge.
Boy, experiences like that would tend to sour somebody on the judicial process, wouldn't they?

Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 AM

13,040 posts, read 15,382,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Maybe I'm weird too. I always thought being on a jury would be interesting. I am 71 and never got a summons to serve. I know someone in her 50s who has been called 3 times and served on juries all 3 times. But she lives in a major US city. Her take was that they had a hard time getting enough intelligent people to serve, thus the multiple calls.
My first laugh of the day!

I've gotten a couple of summons for jury duty, but haven't been selected, probably because I owned a business that I actually needed to be there to work. Plus I had three little kids. I think one of them I received a summons for was the Richard Grissom case. He was convicted on circumstantial evidence of the murder of three young women in 1989 and to this day their bodies have never been found. I actually would have liked to be selected for that case.

https://law.justia.com/cases/kansas/.../66-268-3.html

Last edited by luzianne; 06-23-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 AM

What do you guys think of the concept of professional jurors?

This would be a pool of people who would get extra training on the responsibilities and ramifications of their juror actions, and training on the jury instructions, and how they're used and why. They would be people who've been selected for their above average intelligence and logic capabilities, and who have demonstrated their attitude toward fairness by using hypotheticals, etc. They would have to pass background checks to weed out those with prejudices due to prior encounters with the criminal justice system, etc. They would represent what most people would want their own jury to be like if they were on trial i.e. law abiding, intelligent people, who are serious about what's at stake, and who can thoroughly understand the process and the judge's instructions.

After my experience as a juror, I think I would prefer professionals if I was on trial. I was stunned by my co-jurors and their lack of comprehension of the law, and inability to listen, comprehend, and remember the testimony. They really just voted on how much they liked the defendant based upon his similarity to them. They simply refused to find him guilty, because they couldn't understand why he was accused of something they felt was not a crime. He ran from cops, they would run from cops too, so "not guilty". (edited to add: when I say similarity I'm not referring to race. This was a white defendant, and an all white jury, in a 90+% white county)

Maybe this is too off-topic, but I'm curious. So many people want to get out of jury duty, maybe this should be a thing.

Last edited by TheShadow; 06-23-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or