U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I thought I was the only one who liked jury duty, LOL. Never qualified during my career years, so I was kind of stoked to be called up after I retired. Interesting case, and fortunately a fairly short one.

ps. Going back for a short visit might be a good way for him to finally close the door on California. Now that he's had some time to adjust to your new town, the traffic and general tension of southern California might be much more striking. That's certainly what happens to us whenever we have to go back to northern VA. I didn't notice it that much while I was living there, but now, whenever I visit, I can't believe how stressful it seems there.
Re: stress - I live there now, and I agree. IMHO, the extended hours of heavy traffic coupled with 3-minute lights affects every area of life. I once lived four miles away from my job in Tysons. It used to take me 45 minutes to travel that distance on Rte 123 during peak rush hours (leaving between 7:00 and 9 AM; returning 4 PM to 6 PM). Talk about being beat before you start work, and even more beat at the end of the work day.

IMHO, Northern VA is a nicer place to live if you can work from home. I finally scored that perk five years ago. Not trying to gloat - I'm doing my best to push the SS date to the right. Avoiding the area's traffic is the only way I can make working longer even remotely tolerable. Not complaining - without having to battle traffic on both ends, the job is fairly benign (knock on wood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 PM

7,676 posts, read 4,719,031 times
So DH wandered in this morning. No jury duty.

He does this counterintuitive thing where his trip from Silicon Valley takes him through Los Angeles. This only works well if you do it in the dead of night, so by the time he gets here in the morning he's bleary-eyed and ready to fall into bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or