U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,680,291 times

Advertisements

...This one is a first, for me.

DH just packed up his car and headed back to California. There's an amateur radio event this weekend he wants to do with his Stanford group. OK, that's not weird. Many -- maybe even most -- hams are retired.

He's also clutching a jury summons and hopes to be selected for a jury.

Well, more power to him, doing his civic duty and all that. We are a two-state household: I'm a resident of 48 and he's still hoping the next time he crosses the border it will have reverted to the California of the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,340,059 times
Maybe I'm weird too. I always thought being on a jury would be interesting. I am 71 and never got a summons to serve. I know someone in her 50s who has been called 3 times and served on juries all 3 times. But she lives in a major US city. Her take was that they had a hard time getting enough intelligent people to serve, thus the multiple calls.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,103,444 times
I've always wanted to be on a jury, but my job has kept me from being considered. Maybe I have that to look forward to when I retire as well!

Old 06-20-2019, 10:19 AM

31,599 posts, read 19,939,787 times
I actually found being on a jury interesting, but found being the Foreperson stressful.

DH was just called in and he was hoping to get selected because he thought the case was interesting, but he wasn't selected, and never will be because he is retired law enforcement.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH was just called in and he was hoping to get selected because he thought the case was interesting, but he wasn't selected, and never will be because he is retired law enforcement.
I hope mine gets selected since he wants it so badly but since nearly his entire family is current or retired LE, I wouldn't put money on it.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 AM

31,599 posts, read 19,939,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I hope mine gets selected since he wants it so badly but since nearly his entire family is current or retired LE, I wouldn't put money on it.
I hope he gets it too. It's the simple things in life, right?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Maybe I'm weird too. I always thought being on a jury would be interesting. I am 71 and never got a summons to serve.
You never got summoned? Not even once?

I would get summoned twice a year because I was listed under two different surnames in their database.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
I thought I was the only one who liked jury duty, LOL. Never qualified during my career years, so I was kind of stoked to be called up after I retired. Interesting case, and fortunately a fairly short one.

ps. Going back for a short visit might be a good way for him to finally close the door on California. Now that he's had some time to adjust to your new town, the traffic and general tension of southern California might be much more striking. That's certainly what happens to us whenever we have to go back to northern VA. I didn't notice it that much while I was living there, but now, whenever I visit, I can't believe how stressful it seems there.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,535,380 times
I'd like to be on an "interesting" case that wasn't extremely well known.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,059,176 times
I was on a couple of civil cases when I was much younger. I don't think I would be picked for a criminal case, I have strong opinions about how the prosecution works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or