U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 AM

6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

(This thread is going to be a bust, isn't it? LOLOLOLOLOLOL Oh well, I tried. LOLOLOLOLOL)
Don't be impatient if you don't receive any responses at first. I don't know how many threads I have started -- probably at least a dozen -- that received no responses for hours, but ended up with ten or more pages of replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 08:41 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,708,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Don't be impatient if you don't receive any responses at first. I don't know how many threads I have started -- probably at least a dozen -- that received no responses for hours, but ended up with ten or more pages of replies!
We need an emoji that is laughing! Yeah, I know. Thanks. And just from the few responses so far (more than I thought there would EVER be) -- I've learned a lot. This thread may turn out very good!

Old 06-21-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That would depend on whether or not I knew how my current life would turn out. Iin other words, if I knew who and when I would marry, if nothing changed, for example -- OR if you are just talking about general advice.

If I did not know how my life would turn out, I would just tell myself to go to a four-year university and obtain a degree; to take better care of my health and teeth; and to not care so much about what other people thought -- and especially not my relatives.

If I did know how my future would be if I did nothing to change it, I would still tell myself the above, but I would add the following:

1. To have a career that would be almost immune to later technology and that I would enjoy. (In my case, I think that would involve me becoming a paralegal).

2. To not marry my first two husbands and to marry my first husband sooner. (My current husband and I have been married 35 years, and my only regret about that is that we did not meet sooner.)

3. To not adopt older children, and probably not even an infant or toddler. (I am not saying that no one should adopt, but that is was just a big mistake for us and for them, too. Our expectations were too high, which was our fault and not theirs.)

4. To move to a four seasons climate about 1990 and buy a nice home there ASAP.
General advice, of course. And your post is very good (IMHO)!

Old 06-21-2019, 08:59 AM

1,632 posts, read 557,035 times
The most important advice I could ever give my younger self (meaning from my teen years onward for several decades) is to never try to be what you think someone else wants you to be, in terms of personal relationships; it's never worth it, and it rarely works out in the end.

Of course that mindset was a result of how 1940s and 1950s culture viewed girls and women and what their ultimate goal 'should' be (i.e., "getting a man/husband".) I'd make a huge pitch to my younger self to ditch that way of thinking and just be myself with no external or internal pressure to be anything else.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM

3,714 posts, read 3,116,335 times
Not that I would have listened anyway but I would tell myself not to listen to advice from old people. Their regrets color their advice too much, not to mention the advice tends to involve a life path they didn't follow themselves.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 AM

401 posts, read 71,604 times
"Save and sacrifice NOW while you are young and fit, as opposed to old and less able to cope, and rather than figuring you will enjoy yourself now and let tomorrow take care of itself!"

(Other "tips" I might have offered... "Buy Microsoft!")

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 06-21-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-21-2019, 09:34 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Looking back I would reassure myself that things will generally work out pretty well over time. Don't worry too much and don't do anything rash. (Pay a little more attention to those dot-com investments, dummy.) There will be some tough times but stick with it. If you have a gut feeling that something isn't right, take a second or third look. Be a bit more attentive and assertive on health issues -- Doctors are only practicing medicine.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Not that I would have listened anyway but I would tell myself not to listen to advice from old people. Their regrets color their advice too much, not to mention the advice tends to involve a life path they didn't follow themselves.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Looking back I would reassure myself that things will generally work out pretty well over time. Don't worry too much and don't do anything rash. (Pay a little more attention to those dot-com investments, dummy.) There will be some tough times but stick with it. If you have a gut feeling that something isn't right, take a second or third look. Be a bit more attentive and assertive on health issues -- Doctors are only practicing medicine.
I agree with it all. One slight change: doctors are practicing only medical insurance. And if we're old, they also practice age discrimination.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:14 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
--Get in the habit of doing yoga while you're young and bend a lot more easily.

--Wear better shoes when you're young, before you find out the hard way what heels can do to you.

--Don't buy things to impress other people. Every time I ever did that I ended up feeling I had thrown my money away on junk. And the people I wanted to impress didn't turn out to be worth it.

--Don't worry so much about finding your mate. You can't hurry love, and he's out there.

--Take those opportunities to travel, especially when you're young. I never regretted the adventures I had, although when I was young I wondered if I might be spending money I should have been saving.

--And at the same time I'd give my younger self some reassurance that all those little sacrifices I DID make for the sake of saving money for retirement did indeed turn out to be worth it. The things I did choose to sacrifice weren't things I cared much about, and the money compounded in a very nice way. Job well done! Also reassurance that my career choice was indeed the right one for me. When I was younger, I wasn't always sure because I never made a lot of money. But I would tell my younger self that everything worked out in the end, and I had a wonderful career that I ended up being proud of.

--Oh, and don't listen to those friends of yours who back in the 80s insisted the stock market is designed so that it will never go over 4,000. LOL LOL LOL

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-21-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or