U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 PM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times

Advertisements

Avoid any kind of partnership. Lots of scammers out there.

Never trust your employer.

Have every adventure you can while young enough to enjoy and be able to do it.

Entrepreneurship is a great character-builder but you'll work harder than any job. And have more satisfaction.

I was able to do the last two, but wish I'd known the first two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 12:52 PM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Stay on Active Duty. [I served for 6 years and got out, then 4 years later I re-enlisted and I got my pension when I completed 20-years. That 4-year stretch of 'broken service' delayed my advancement. If I had stayed on Active Duty the whole time, I would have reached retirement at a higher pay-grade.]

When I was 20, I bought a Kawasaki 1000, but then I dreamed of riding a GoldWing. I did not buy a GoldWing until I was 45. I should have bought a GoldWing when I was 20.

The Navy pays really good Re-Enlistment bonuses. I spent it on women and drinking. I should have invested 50% each time.

Every year when I took annual leave I went home to visit family. It was boring and my relatives always displayed contempt for my career. I should have used my leave time to go visit Tahiti, Bora Bora, Bahamas, etc.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM

9,188 posts, read 9,267,265 times
Honestly, I cannot think of much we did that was wrong. I am mostly at peace because I don't have any major regrets about life. What advice would I give?

1. Pick a career that you want to do not just one where you will make the most money. And, pick one that does not damage your body or your health.

2. Get an education. College or technical school depending on your individual aptitude.

3. Strongly consider getting married and raising a family. Its not for everyone, but it is for probably a majority of people. Make certain though that before you have children, you can support your family decently. A good spouse, a good marriage and a happy family life will do more for your health and peace of mind than any other thing will.

4. Exercise and eat a decent diet. All the money in the world will not compensate you for bad health.

5. Save your money and invest it for retirement.

6. Try and develop both hobbies and friends. You can never have enough friends in this world.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:28 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Anyone can post, of course, but this is primarily for those of us who are fully retired (doesn't matter for how long -- just that you are fully retired).

In other words, what do you wish that you had known, when you were, say, 20-30 years old, that you know now.

I'm going to reply, but I don't want to influence any way, so I'll post later on in the thread.

Well, I will reply, if just one other person posts.
I would tell myself to go off to college after high school instead of attending college locally.Also, dont give up on math so easily.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 PM

12,291 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I would advise myself to invent the internet sooner so I could have been posting on forums 30+ years ago
Sorry, but Al Gore beat you to it! I notice many of the responses are about money. After all, money is very important in life. And a few obvious health issues (don't smoke, eat right, exercise). Don't buy a big house, get the smallest you can live with in the neighborhood you like. Bigger houses just attract more stuff. Don't waste time following celebrities, they don't care about you. When you look for the first job, choose one that will give you the most experience, not necessarily the best paying. Use sunscreen, wear hearing protection.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:15 PM

150 posts, read 43,082 times
Save more (or just save something)
Exercise more
Drink and eat less
Look before leaping.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM

2,169 posts, read 531,207 times
Buy low, sell high. Marginal cost=marginal revenue.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
I would tell myself to listen to my dad and go to the university instead of rebelling and going to a stupid little state college. The state college was dumbed down, it only offered a few majors and there was a limited number of potential friends.

Also, if I had gone to the university, there were a lot more boys than girls so I would have had a much better chance of meeting a nice man, not the guy I met at the small college and got divorced from. I also would have had a much larger choice of majors and might have ended up in a job I really liked. (although there really wasn't very much available to women back in those days.)

I would also say, Do not trust anyone and don't ever let your husband handle the finances.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Do not get married.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,069,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Honestly, I cannot think of much we did that was wrong. I am mostly at peace because I don't have any major regrets about life. What advice would I give?

1. Pick a career that you want to do not just one where you will make the most money. And, pick one that does not damage your body or your health.

2. Get an education. College or technical school depending on your individual aptitude.

3. Strongly consider getting married and raising a family. Its not for everyone, but it is for probably a majority of people. Make certain though that before you have children, you can support your family decently. A good spouse, a good marriage and a happy family life will do more for your health and peace of mind than any other thing will.

4. Exercise and eat a decent diet. All the money in the world will not compensate you for bad health.

5. Save your money and invest it for retirement.

6. Try and develop both hobbies and friends. You can never have enough friends in this world.
Awesome post. I especially like the line about picking a career that doesn't damage your health. After having a few very physically demanding jobs, I decided it was not worth it. I see a lot of people in retirement having body parts replaced from damage done from their careers.

I do have great respect for people that do the tough jobs and think they should be well compensated and have good retirement plans. Some type of 20 and out type deal so they can leave the field before their bodies break down. Unfortunately, that is not the case and we will always need laborers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or