U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 PM

2,532 posts, read 949,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Use Ancestry the next time it goes on sale. Sign up for notifications from this thread. We update it when it goes on sale. Then upload your DNA to the free sites after you get your results back; that will take care of all the databases except 23 and me.

Geneology & DNA Sites - Free Dates & Specials Thread - Post them Here

Have you uploaded to all the free databases? If not, you should. Directions are below. That makes your DNA dollars go farther to get more family matches or help more family with knowing their relatives.

I keep a public tree on family search that's easy to link to when I meet new relatives that need help. It allows them to see records attached to family so they see that it's right.
Thank you very much. I'm just now reading through your earlier post on this, and saved the link. Will do as you say, and sign up for the notifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 PM

1,427 posts, read 2,568,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Well, as it turns out, they are accurate. I was in so much denial I also did one at another site with the same results (same surnames I didn't recognize). I do have some family left but it's people that we weren't ever close to, their children also showed up and my half sister showed up that I grew up with.

Anyway, I found out I have a father I never knew about that is almost 90 and some half siblings. I spoke to one of my half siblings and my mother and her father lived in the same area, in fact, they were neighbors during that period of time. I won't be meeting him because his children from his 2nd marriage want nothing to do with me and they don't plan to tell him about me. I got the feeling I was dog poo on the bottom of their shoe they were trying to scrape off. NOT a good feeling but they need to realize this isn't my fault and I can live without them, I had no intention of invading their family and don't want anything from them. This entire thing has been difficult and I would hope if the tables were turned I would be more gracious and kind. I did see a photo of my new found dear old dad and it looks like he spit me... so yes, I trust the results.
I'm very much in the same place you are. I'm an adoptee, from a state with closed adoption records that finally were opened a few years back. I only recently ordered my original birth certificate, and started doing Ancestry.com at the same time. Birth mom's surname showed up only occasionally in the trees of DNA matches, and then only 4+ generations back. A bit of a dead end there. When a first cousin showed up -- bingo! She and her mom were kind enough to assist me and we sorted out that my birth dad was her youngest uncle. I did reach out to him. Twice. And I know he received my emails. But he has opted not to communicate. However, I have seen photos, and I am the spitting image. After 50+ years of being the elephant in a family of small people, I finally "look like" someone. A big, tall someone. I'll always have that, even if he never comes around to wanting any kind of communication.

I am gracious and kind when contacted, as I know you will be. I hope there is good karma in there somewhere for both of us.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:03 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,362,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Hubby & I did ours. I used to tell everyone that I was 1/2 Jewish. Turns out I was wrong. I am only 49.6% Jewish.

Cat
Since Judaism is a religion, how could your DNA possibly tell that?

Old 06-23-2019, 10:19 PM

13,006 posts, read 6,219,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Since Judaism is a religion, how could your DNA possibly tell that?
Ancestry.com has a category "European Jewish". After I had my test done, they said I was 2%. Then they refined the results and I'm now 1%.

Here is an article as to how that all came to be:

https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...s-an-Ethnicity

Old 06-24-2019, 05:38 AM

6,344 posts, read 3,573,078 times
I've traced my genealogy since the 70's, long before the Internet, Ancestry, or DNA testing. I always knew my grandpa had a half brother, born out of wedlock, which my research confirmed. I discovered a woman in New Zealand on Ancestry who had great-grandpa (from England), and ME, in her family tree.

I contacted her and found that besides an out of wedlock son, great-grandpa also had an out of wedlock daughter. This woman was his daughter's granddaughter. She was from England but had moved to New Zealand as an adult.

Taking that DNA test, this woman came up on my DNA matches so I suppose her research was true.

So you just might find some cousins you never knew about, including around the world!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:14 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
Well after finding out about my bio-dad, I had to do a little "pruning" on my private family tree, right down the middle. LOL. I won't be posting my tree on-line since I don't plan on telling half of my "cousins" that they are no longer related to me by blood. No reason to start the gossip machine and give them any more reasons to spit on my mom's memory.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:27 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,460,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Not interested ever.
This, right here. I'll never get one, I have no interest in knowing.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:22 AM

284 posts, read 138,476 times
I did it and no big surprises.
My husband also did it since he is adopted. He always knew his birth mom's name but not his dad. Through his DNA he found a paternal aunt. It has been wonderful. His dad is dead but he looks just like them. He met his 1/2 sister and it was great. We went down to Illinois and he met about 25 assorted relatives. He talks to his aunt about once every 2 weeks. She always suspected he existed. On his mom's side she is still alive and does not want to meet him and he respects that. But he also has 3-1/2 siblings and has met two of them. They have stayed in close contact. We met his sister for dinner when she was nearby 2 weeks ago.
Funny thing is he was never interested in finding this part of his life and I kind of pushed it. And now he is so glad I did since it has been a great experience.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Well after finding out about my bio-dad, I had to do a little "pruning" on my private family tree, right down the middle. LOL. I won't be posting my tree on-line since I don't plan on telling half of my "cousins" that they are no longer related to me by blood. No reason to start the gossip machine and give them any more reasons to spit on my mom's memory.

I have to delete my entire paternal tree. All of my local cousins now know the story. Half of them don't believe it and it doesn't matter to the rest. I'm still their sister/cousin/aunt etc.. None of them ever knew my bio mom so can't think/say anything. I wonder if I'll ever be able to find out who my paternal family is. At this late date, maybe not.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:52 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,650,165 times
I'm on Ancestry (mostly) but also have accounts on 23andme and Myheritage. The volume of people all over the world taking DNA tests is incredible. As of now (9:30 AM) I have 17 new DNA matches since last night on Ancestry and it will likely reach 40 before tonight. Most are unidentifiably connected 5th cousins or beyond but several will be close enough to be identified by a family surname line. I will likely have 20+ on Myheritage and maybe a half-dozen on 23andme. I have probably somewhere around 6000 DNA cousins over the three platforms and maybe only about 3-5% are duplicates. So if I am having that many matches in a day, the number of people testing and going into the databases must be in the thousands or tens of thousands every day. I only have access to three companies but there are many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or