U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM

1,651 posts, read 567,483 times

Advertisements

I have a question for female posters who took the 23&Me "Ancestry Service" test only, and did not also submit DNA from a close male relative: What kind of information (categories) was in the report that you received? Did you find it useful, or simply just interesting?

Asking because @Roselvr mentioned this: "She should also consider doing her mtDNA at FTDNA. mtDNa is her mothers line. It may tell her what her mothers last name was." But none of the mtDNA tests can do that. This is the FTMTDNA info-page which explains that their tests can rule out a relationship (at certain levels), it cannot go into that sort of individual detail as names (unless her mother took the same test there and also signed a consent form to be contacted.)

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...st-will-learn/

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-matches-page/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 04:31 PM

6,370 posts, read 3,580,666 times
Both my daughters submitted their DNA tests (Family Tree & 23 & Me) before I decided to. I have traced both my and my husband's family.

All of our results show a who's who of all our female ancestors, including our Paternal Female Ancestors. Isn't that basic genetics? A man can only give his daughter his X chromosome which would contain the genes of all of his female ancestors and countries they were from.

I downloaded my DNA from Ancestry to Family Tree which my younger daughter used since I wanted to see if it would list us as a Match. Daughter used her married name to submit it. Yes, at the top of my DNA Match list it had her and I in a Mother/Daughter DNA Match. I suppose an adoptee or donor conceived child would have to get very, very lucky that their father or mother also took a DNA test on the same site they did.

Who's your Mommy?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:52 PM

10,700 posts, read 21,356,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I have a question for female posters who took the 23&Me "Ancestry Service" test only, and did not also submit DNA from a close male relative: What kind of information (categories) was in the report that you received? Did you find it useful, or simply just interesting?
23 and me gives family matching and a haplogroup of your mothers side which can actually be gotten for free on WeGene in my family tree and DNA directions.

WeGene, - gives ethnicity for free as well as haplogroup. I'm still learning the site. 23andme's V5 chip now has been supported by WeGene. Users who tested with 23andme after August and uploaded your data shall have access to your ancestry composition analysis and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Asking because @Roselvr mentioned this: "She should also consider doing her mtDNA at FTDNA. mtDNa is her mothers line. It may tell her what her mothers last name was." But none of the mtDNA tests can do that. This is the FTMTDNA info-page which explains that their tests can rule out a relationship (at certain levels), it cannot go into that sort of individual detail as names (unless her mother took the same test there and also signed a consent form to be contacted.)

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...st-will-learn/

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-matches-page/
Your question would be better in the genealogy section where people like PA2UK can give you a better answer. I did a Y-DNA test for my uncle; it should show common last names but my uncles didn't. I assumed the mtDNA test works the same way. I found one of your links for the male version but am not seeing one for Y-DNA – Matches Page

What is a Y-Chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) STR test? What will I learn?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 PM

23,413 posts, read 28,264,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Both my daughters submitted their DNA tests (Family Tree & 23 & Me) before I decided to. I have traced both my and my husband's family.

All of our results show a who's who of all our female ancestors, including our Paternal Female Ancestors. Isn't that basic genetics? A man can only give his daughter his X chromosome which would contain the genes of all of his female ancestors and countries they were from.

I downloaded my DNA from Ancestry to Family Tree which my younger daughter used since I wanted to see if it would list us as a Match. Daughter used her married name to submit it. Yes, at the top of my DNA Match list it had her and I in a Mother/Daughter DNA Match. I suppose an adoptee or donor conceived child would have to get very, very lucky that their father or mother also took a DNA test on the same site they did.

Who's your Mommy?
A father also gives his daughters autosomal DNA. Half of that comes from mom and half from dad.

The X will contain DNA from some of his female ancestors, not all of them. Females have two X chromosomes, one from mom and one from dad. The one she gives to a son could be the one from her mother or the one from her dad.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:58 PM

23,413 posts, read 28,264,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
23 and me gives family matching and a haplogroup of your mothers side which can actually be gotten for free on WeGene in my family tree and DNA directions.

WeGene, - gives ethnicity for free as well as haplogroup. I'm still learning the site. 23andme's V5 chip now has been supported by WeGene. Users who tested with 23andme after August and uploaded your data shall have access to your ancestry composition analysis and others

Your question would be better in the genealogy section where people like PA2UK can give you a better answer. I did a Y-DNA test for my uncle; it should show common last names but my uncles didn't. I assumed the mtDNA test works the same way. I found one of your links for the male version but am not seeing one for Y-DNA Matches Page

What is a Y-Chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) STR test? What will I learn?
Mitochondrial DNA does not help with surnames because female children in in the US most often are given the surname of the father, not the mother, and mitochondrial DNA is passed through the direct maternal line.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 PM

6,570 posts, read 3,664,491 times
I don't see haplogroups being all that helpful. My paternal haplogroup (Y) is quite rare in my paternal ancestral villages in Pomerania. Our ancestors were much more mobile than we imagine. My maternal haplogroup (X) follows my mother's line to Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry but it originated near the Caspian Sea. That's interesting but not the reason I took a DNA test. I can't really relate to hunter/gatherer ancestors from a mythic era 7,000 years ago.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 PM

364 posts, read 553,066 times
I've taken 23 and me and also Ancestry tests. The only "surprise" I discovered was in my grandparents' generation. My mom had an uncle she didn't know about, not listed in Grandma's charts, an out of wedlock son of her grandfather. I found the relative connections were quite accurate with both companies, but I'm less impressed with their ancestry reports.
My ancestry estimates were quite different from the two companies, the 23 and me estimate comes much closer to what I see in my ancestry chart. I am more than half French and German, but Ancestry thinks I'm a lot more English. The latest estimates show the Irish part down to the counties. 23 and me shows the largest Irish component as Donegal, but Ancestry has it as Ulster. My Grandma's charts show many ancestors from different parts of Donegal, one from Sligo, and one from Derry, so I think the prize goes to 23 and me.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:16 AM

10,700 posts, read 21,356,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Mitochondrial DNA does not help with surnames because female children in in the US most often are given the surname of the father, not the mother, and mitochondrial DNA is passed through the direct maternal line.
I knew that... Blond moment lol

Old 06-27-2019, 08:29 AM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Nope, no surprises except learning that a lot of people I knew as kids were related to me a third and fourth cousins. My grandfather was one of 13 kids.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope, no surprises except learning that a lot of people I knew as kids were related to me a third and fourth cousins. My grandfather was one of 13 kids.
A long time friend also took the test and it turned out we matched up.

Very distant so still have not found the connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or