U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:35 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times

Advertisements

Ditto I donít trust them
I Took 2 tests different companies 15 years apart
First one said I was 50% oriental 50% mid eastern zero Europe
second one said I was 80% northern European zero Asian 20% mid eastern
I think they throw the swab away look me up on Facebook and take a guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 PM

5,937 posts, read 5,293,703 times
All of my relatives that took the test matched up with their relationship to me. No mistakes.

These people that "did their tree" should realize there may be many more out there. A cousins one night stand, the baby given up for adoption 80 years ago, and many more possibilities.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:35 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Don't care about far-off family 10 times removed - my interest is completely on health matters.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 PM

98 posts, read 41,378 times
Just got my results back. I'm a Romanov.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 PM

407 posts, read 474,000 times
I'm turning 65 soon. All my life I had the fear that the woman I called my sister (16 years older than me) was actually my mother. She denied it, but...anyway, I did the 23 & Me DNA and it confirmed the man I called Dad was my father and the woman I called Mom was my real mother. Whew, what a load off my mind!

I also did the medical part and was relieved with those findings as well. It was worth the money.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Same here. I spent years tracing my genealogy back to the 1500s and can't see what a DNA test would tell me that is "new and different", let alone useful.

I also have privacy concerns. If it could be done on a completely anonymous basis I might consider one of the health-based ones but other than that, no way.

Also, from everything I've read even the better tests have severe limitations... that's why you see the "thousands" of "relatives." Add to that the fact that the ancestry part isn't useful for women (the whole family-line thing only works with male DNA, so unless the woman can submit the DNA of a brother, father or grandfather it's kind of a waste of time and money) IMHO it's more of a trendy-new-toy thing than anything else.

I can think of numerous other things I'd rather spend that $100-$200 on.
ancestry just had a fathers day sale for 59 bucks

Old 06-21-2019, 08:48 PM

298 posts, read 128,874 times
I did ancestry recently. I'm 59% English and Welsh, 37% Irish and Scottish, and 3% German. No big surprises really, just a few second and third cousins I didn't know about and related last names I'd never heard of. That's not surprising either because I don't know much at all about family on my Mother or Father's side. I'm looking into it some out of curiosity though.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:50 PM

23,394 posts, read 28,226,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I don't trust them.
Why? If you match with someone you share bits of DNA inherited from a common ancestor. Nothing to distrust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm with you, engineman.

Have heard too many negatives about doing this.
What negatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Not needed. We know our family tree, paying someone for a test is not our thing
As some here have found out what you think you know may not be true. If you do the DNA you have to be prepared for the possibility.

I have thus far found one line where the surname is wrong. The men in the line carry the name of a guy whose widow got pregnant out of wedlock after he died. She had to go to court and name the father, which she did. DNA kicked off the search that found that information.

I have another line that DNA showed is not related to a certain Irish family. Had to lop off a big branch of that part of my tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I don't trust Ancestry. That is why I went with a different one.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Same here. I spent years tracing my genealogy back to the 1500s and can't see what a DNA test would tell me that is "new and different", let alone useful.

I also have privacy concerns. If it could be done on a completely anonymous basis I might consider one of the health-based ones but other than that, no way.

Also, from everything I've read even the better tests have severe limitations... that's why you see the "thousands" of "relatives." Add to that the fact that the ancestry part isn't useful for women (the whole family-line thing only works with male DNA, so unless the woman can submit the DNA of a brother, father or grandfather it's kind of a waste of time and money) IMHO it's more of a trendy-new-toy thing than anything else.

I can think of numerous other things I'd rather spend that $100-$200 on.
See the replies above. If you have gone that far back odds are there are errors in your tree. DNA may find them, like the "nonpaternal event" and the Irish branch I describe above in my own tree.

If you are so concerned about privacy then do not do it. I do not personally see a problem.

All those thousands of relatives are indeed relatives, though the majority will be distant ones.

The "ancestry" part does work for women. Three types of DNA can be tested. Y DNA is passed from father to son and thus can only be done for males. Mitochondrial DNA is passed from mother to child - male or female - and thus tracks back through the extended female line. Autosomal DNA is passed to both sons and daughters and autosomal DNA is where those thousands of relatives are coming from in your match list. You and your match both need a family tree to see which ancestors you share, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Ditto I donít trust them
I Took 2 tests different companies 15 years apart
First one said I was 50% oriental 50% mid eastern zero Europe
second one said I was 80% northern European zero Asian 20% mid eastern
I think they throw the swab away look me up on Facebook and take a guess
Ethnicity results depend on the populations you are being compared to and may change as those populations are updated and increase in the number of people included in the data base. They are always estimates.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:15 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
DH & I both did the Ancestry test when it first came out. Not for ethnicity/origins but because we wanted to connect with unknown blood relatives who might help us with genealogical research.
For that latter purpose, it's been 100% accurate and a real bonus. It enabled us to validate our family trees and to either confirm or discard many very old entries that had previously just been "theories".

One nice bonus is that even after several years, I continue to discover previously unknown living relatives who have just done the test and discovered a connection. Most often they're the offspring of a sibling of one of my grandparents or great-grandparents. Occasionally, like this month, I hear from a grandchild of a cousin. Since most of my cousins are older than me and have passed, it's nice to make contact with their descendants and to share photos/memories, etc.

All that said, if I had it to do over again I wouldn't. Because of privacy concerns, i.e., I don't like govt. being able to access my dna.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:53 PM

13,312 posts, read 25,542,533 times
I just did it recently. No interest in the family tree idea. I am accurately 48% Ashkenazi Jewish, which I figured with my Ukrainian Jewish father, and the non-Jewish Ukrainian side came out as 30% Balkan and the rest Latvian. That made sense as that branch was in Odessa, a port, and quite near the Balkans and other ports.

All I got from it was that I should probably never go out in the sun with all this Caucasian ancestry and pale skin. In fact, my father's last name translates to something like "snow white."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or