U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 PM

6,540 posts, read 3,650,165 times

Advertisements

I did two separate company tests and had one analyzed by a third company as well. The results were not the same because the companies use different models and draw their maps differently. Two were reasonably close and conformed somewhat to what I know of my ancestry. The other (Myheritage) seemed to be on another planet. I still have some confusing results but my ancestors were not planning on me doing a DNA test and they moved around a lot and married whoever they wished. Also boundaries between countries changed frequently and some modern countries didn't exist. Some countries were annexed by other countries and no longer exist. Knowing some history helps understand the tests. I have matched a few known close cousins so the tests seem to be capable of matching. I have a few other DNA matches that are mostly 3rd or 4th cousins that I don't recognize. I find that most people who get tested do not have a family tree compiled so you can't identify a common ancestor anyway.

23andme provides some genetic health information mostly on rare inherited conditions but also on some more common things like macular degeneration and alzheimers. They don't test for all markers so the health results are not foolproof. They could miss something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
A surprise nephew and niece from an older brother.

My wife found an entire branch of family that started with a grandmother she couldn't find informati0on about.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:01 AM

19,818 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Not needed. We know our family tree, paying someone for a test is not our thing
It's not about the family tree, although it can be for some people. It's more about finding out your genetic history, where your ancestors came from throughout the centuries. It's fascinating.

I came out UK, Scandinavian, western Europe, but some time before that, maybe going back a few thousand years, my far off ancestors came out of such places as Turkey and north Africa, maybe some from Italy and possibly some Native American too. We are all related, all are one. Neat stuff.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:19 AM

3,750 posts, read 9,597,800 times
My brother is doing all kinds of research on our family. Not much interesting we did not already know.

But my husband helped a relative find his full bio brothers and sisters. The man was adopted out as a young child. Child Welfare back in the 50s told his parents they had too many kids to feed. So his brothers and sisters knew he was out there and all were looking for each other.

His sister in law gave him the present of a DNA test and he quickly matched with my husband. All the parents involved on both sides are deceased but he now has reunited with his brothers and sister and all their relatives. They had a great family reunion and all live relatively close.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:10 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
LOL. Yeah... me too. Two half-siblings I never knew about!
Me too! Two new half-siblings. Discovered that my dad, who's deceased, was not my bio-dad, and my other siblings are really half-siblings also.

I had a suspicion all my adult life that this was the case, but since both my mom and dad are dead, there was no other way to find the truth. I still have questions about whether my mom really knew and hid it from my dad, or whether he knew too, or at least suspected.

Last edited by TheShadow; 06-22-2019 at 05:29 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Not needed. We know our family tree, paying someone for a test is not our thing
i THOUGHT I knew mine.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:52 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,052,492 times
Sadly no surprises. Boring lineage.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:03 AM

Sometimes boring is good.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:19 AM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
23andme also gives you percentage of Neanderthal which I found fascinating. I thought I would have a higher percentage than average because of being almost 100 percent Italian from north mid Italy but I had a smaller percentage than average. The biggest surprise is that I have a small percentage of French and Spanish which occurred about the same time Napoleon invaded Italy so I'm assuming I have at least one French /Spanish ancestor that was in Napoleons army since his army was based for a few days in my mother's home town in Italy back in the 1790s.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:30 AM

1,629 posts, read 557,035 times
posted by mistake, thus removed

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 06-22-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or