U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 05:04 PM

7,594 posts, read 4,674,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I dunno - people sound super excited to find out about 4th cousins and all the loose women in the family.
Heh.

The whole thing reminds me of those prime-time melodramas in the Eighties...Dynasty, Falcon Crest...and every time someone announces another 4th cousin found or that Mama cheated, I picture that person with Big Hair and padded shoulders.

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 05:41 PM

19,817 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I found out that Ancestry's matching is not based entirely on DNA. I have my dad's family waaay back and because they are in my tree I often get matched with people who have the same names but they aren't blood related. I just share a name with them because it's in my tree. I also noticed that they will match me to someone who is mentioned only once in my tree....married into the family....and then I get hints from everyone who has that last name in their tree. They are not at all related. At least not to me.

No surprises as to my ethnicity. Came out 62% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe, 35% Ireland and Scotland, 1% each France and Spain. Hmmmm.... My new 'cousin' I found has the same numbers but she also has a few other things thrown in as well. And our genetic maps match as well.
I took mine a few years ago through 23&Me so there is no matching of names, just DNA matches. You've got roughly the same genetic makeup as I do, lol. I think I have more France and Germany. Of course, back thousands of years ago those areas had different boundaries and different names and what Ancestry calls it is often different from what 23&Me calls it.

My sister did her testing on Ancestry and when she got the results, guess what? She and I are sisters. of course. No surprises and her ancestral composition is similar to what I got on the 23&Me site but in Ancestry's manner of speaking/different boundaries/countries, etc.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 PM

21,832 posts, read 14,341,548 times
I did. I pressured DH to do his. I was much more interested in my results. I have had no surprises. Every so often I get asked to share results, and I do. My sister had already done our genealogy. We got one or two surprises from that, but nothing drastic.

Years ago when my mother visited her grandmother's family in England, she found out another surprise.

My results tallied with much of the family lore.

No surprises at all.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have no interest in ever taking a DNA test and I certainly don't want to end up in anyone else's search. I just don't care if there are cousins, half-siblings (would they be the size of hobbits?), finding out that my father was not my father, etc. My father could not have been less interested in being my father. I don't need a test to tell me he wasn't.

I don't see the point in it for me. It seems that people like to talk about this stuff endlessly as though they've discovered they're really long-lost members of the Hapsburg Dynasty. Big deal. You go back far enough and we're all related.

I could never understand people whose one point of pride was that their ancestor came over on the Mayflower.
Wow, that's not what it's about at all. Nobody's trying to show off. It's a hobby and a lot of older people are interested in it.

I got interested at my dad's funeral when his brother came up to me and said he never even knew his grandfather's name. He wished he could find out about the family. I said I would look on my computer. Little did I know!

This was before Ancestry.com. What I found out was pretty devastating and I cried my eyes out. Turns out when no one even tells you your own grandfather's name, there's a pretty good reason why. Although I'm still not 100% sure what the story was.

But now I know where we came from and how they suffered. I have tons of respect for my ancestors now. And it has lead to meeting some people in person and being taken around the sad, decrepit old industrial centers in the north of England, seeing where they lived and walking where they walked. In fact, every time I get enough pennies saved up, that's where I go. Right back there. Where it all happened and where our family finally broke off and some came here while others stayed behind.

Speaking of the Mayflower, yes, I may have someone on my mother's side but so do millions of other people. Still it's history and it makes history more interesting. But I'm not bothering to spend the time and money doing the research and joining any Mayflower Society. I'd rather find out who my Arariah's father in CT was back around 1750. All I know is "he died in abject poverty." Genealogy is like a game, a puzzle, a challenge. Learning about your DNA is just the icing on the cake! I'm surprised more people aren't curious.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:45 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,379,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Well, as it turns out, they are accurate. I was in so much denial I also did one at another site with the same results (same surnames I didn't recognize). I do have some family left but it's people that we weren't ever close to, their children also showed up and my half sister showed up that I grew up with.

Anyway, I found out I have a father I never knew about that is almost 90 and some half siblings. I spoke to one of my half siblings and my mother and her father lived in the same area, in fact, they were neighbors during that period of time. I won't be meeting him because his children from his 2nd marriage want nothing to do with me and they don't plan to tell him about me. I got the feeling I was dog poo on the bottom of their shoe they were trying to scrape off. NOT a good feeling but they need to realize this isn't my fault and I can live without them, I had no intention of invading their family and don't want anything from them. This entire thing has been difficult and I would hope if the tables were turned I would be more gracious and kind. I did see a photo of my new found dear old dad and it looks like he spit me... so yes, I trust the results.

I trust the results too. It was spot on matching me and my son and matching me and my first cousins on my dadís side. What was a surprise is that I do not share ANY matches on my dadís side with one of my nephews, which can only mean his dad, my brother, was not my dadís child.

It also matched my son with a sister and cousin my husband didnít know existed.

Also, I never knew my momís family and she was apparently adopted. All of our birth certificates except one lists her adopted maiden name. The name she gave on my youngest siblingís birth certificate is apparently her birth name because I have DNA matches with people with that name in their family trees, and itís not a common name. I have messaged several of them and no one will respond. I canít tell which person was her father but I get the feeling she was a secret either nobody knows about or nobody is telling.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am still confused. Why should someone who is not a DNA match show up as a DNA match?

It is just a hobby, for goodness' sake.

It isn't DNA matching. It's surname matching. You could put ANY name into your tree and you'll be notified of "possible" matches with that name. Yours or not.

"Just a hobby"...lol Maybe, but it's a fascinating one.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
It isn't DNA matching. It's surname matching. You could put ANY name into your tree and you'll be notified of "possible" matches with that name. Yours or not.

"Just a hobby"...lol Maybe, but it's a fascinating one.
Are you saying that on Ancestry, when you send in your money for a DNA test, they also match you up with other people who have the same surname?

I did my DNA testing on 23&Me and it's mostly for finding out what you're made of/where you ancestors came from. You'll see the results as a world map and as DNA segments, in graphs, pie charts, etc. There's nothing about matching surnames. In fact, probably half the matches I get are anonymous. If I got a second cousin I might send them a message but I don't know their name and they are under no obligation to reply to me.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
As I have stated in an earlier post, my mother was into genealogy-in fact many of her genealogy books are in the Library of Congress. She had a lot of dealings with Ancestry (which is owned by the Mormon Church). They wanted her to share EVERYTHING she had with them but yet they wanted her to pay for their information.
FYI, Ancestry is not owned by the Mormon Church. In 2013, Ancestry partnered with FamilySearch and the two organizations have partnered in digitizing records.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
FYI, Ancestry is not owned by the Mormon Church. In 2013, Ancestry partnered with FamilySearch and the two organizations have partnered in digitizing records.
FamilySearch is owned by the Morman Church. When I first started family history, you would go to a Family History Center and use their computers and send away for their records. Their records used to be unreliable but now they are actually scanned instead of just transcribed by hand, so they are accurate.

What I never liked was that the reason the Mormons want to help you with your genealogy is so that they can pray your ancestors into heaven. That sort of creeps me out, but it doesn't creep me out enough to make me stop using their records. I don't really think their praying about my ancestors affects me in any way.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
I sorta "get" the bashing directed in this thread at folks who for various reasons have researched their family history. But they're missing the point.

Because back in the day, and heck even up till today, I've not much cared for those who have worked hard to prove they're worthy of being accepted into the Sons of the American Revolution, or the Daughters of the Confederacy or other somesuch. As a librarian, I was exposed to many. Long story short, just about every white person in the US is eligible for both.There's really nothing special about it. DH & I easily found the evidence to prove we were but had no desire to join up.

On the flip side, DH & I enjoyed every minute we spent researching our family roots. For us, it was all about the search, the chase. Every *validated* step forward was a victory. We didn't give a hoot if the newly validated ancestor was a slave handler, a law dodging scoundrel, a pious Quaker abolitionist, whatever. We were on a scavenger hunt. We were both elated and sad when we put that last puzzle piece in place.
That's what you call a hobby. Now we've moved on to trying the best way to attract bluebirds, butterflies, and hummingbirds to our yard. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or