Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:48 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
So, it's not really saying you're Jewish, it's saying you came from an area that was prominently Jewish.

I'm Jewish, because my mother was Jewish. That's how it works in Jewish law. There's no, half Jewish, or quarter Jewish. If your mother's Jewish, then you are.

Of course you're free to convert in, or convert out. But really, if you show up at a synagogue, nobody will quiz you.
I wrote this on the Jewish board. My dad was Jewish and we were SUPPOSED to be raised Jewish but the local synagogue would not recognized nor welcomed us because our mother was not Jewish. Because of that synagogue, none of us are practicing Jews (including Dad before he passed away). But, I do honor my Jewish heritage, my Jewish ancestors (especially my grandmother). And I really don't care what the Jewish law says, I have said all my life and I will continue to say that I am 1/2 Jewish and my DNA proves that point.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 AM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Ethnicity Estimate

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 64%
Germanic Europe 20%
Norway 6%

Sweden 6%
Ireland & Scotland4%

I thought that I was more Irish and German than what it says, but it basically agrees with my research done on my family tree. I have no idea yet though where the 6 % Norway and the 6%
Sweden come from...other than it is apparently from my Mothers side of the family.
I have three first cousins who took the ancestry test, and they all showed up, and a couple of second cousins that I know that showed up.
It has been really interesting. I am so glad that I did it.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:47 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Both my daughters submitted their DNA tests (Family Tree & 23 & Me) before I decided to. I have traced both my and my husband's family.

All of our results show a who's who of all our female ancestors, including our Paternal Female Ancestors. Isn't that basic genetics? A man can only give his daughter his X chromosome which would contain the genes of all of his female ancestors and countries they were from.

I downloaded my DNA from Ancestry to Family Tree which my younger daughter used since I wanted to see if it would list us as a Match. Daughter used her married name to submit it. Yes, at the top of my DNA Match list it had her and I in a Mother/Daughter DNA Match. I suppose an adoptee or donor conceived child would have to get very, very lucky that their father or mother also took a DNA test on the same site they did.

Who's your Mommy?
Yep, Ancestry matched me and my son perfectly as mother/son. Matched my nephew as a half nephew or second cousin (I thought he was a full nephew; turns out he's half ), matched my two first cousins as first cousins.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Wow, sounds like my ancestry, Crazee Cat Lady. I also have always had my cats - lol. We are somewhat similar. What surprised me was that I have a half-brother! My dad had an affair when he was about 17 with a much older woman...we just found out when we did our Ancestry. His sister is totally freaked out, and has actually gone in and changed her Tree and moved around various people to make his "father" NOT our father. It is very weird. However, we (there are 4 girls in our family) DID Facetime with him a few weeks ago and I think he was overwhelmed at all the good vibes and welcomes he got. He's a sweet man. Too bad we're both in our 70s, but at least we know.

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
43%

Ireland & Scotland
37%
Central Ireland
North Leinster & East Connacht
North East Leinster & South Ulster

Norway
18%
Eastern Norway
Østlandet & Vestlandet

Sweden
2%

Old 06-29-2019, 03:22 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I wrote this on the Jewish board. My dad was Jewish and we were SUPPOSED to be raised Jewish but the local synagogue would not recognized nor welcomed us because our mother was not Jewish. Because of that synagogue, none of us are practicing Jews (including Dad before he passed away). But, I do honor my Jewish heritage, my Jewish ancestors (especially my grandmother). And I really don't care what the Jewish law says, I have said all my life and I will continue to say that I am 1/2 Jewish and my DNA proves that point.

Cat
Hey, it's a free country. You can say or do what ever you like.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
That's the same for my daughter. She has all my Scandinavian & Irish heritage, and her father is full Jewish. So, her DNA says 50% European Jewish.

But she doesn't actually care because she's into Asian things. She'd rather be half Asian instead - lol. But it was good to know the percentages.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:34 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
That is wonderful that you have Jewish heritage. I would cherish that forever. If either one of your grandparents were Jewish you would be able to make Aliyah to Israel. That would be super. I'm so sorry for the rejection. I've heard that law explained before, but still don't get it. A good Jewish father is very important in raising a Jewish family. Maybe it will change in time. Best regards, and Shalom.

P.S. To my understanding there are two different aspects to this. One is religious, and the other is bloodline. After all, you are the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. That can be traced.

Israel has been tracing different people by dna now for a long time. That includes african tribes that can trace their male line to the tribe of Levi. I believe that since Israel is on the cutting edge of breakthroughs such as this that it will only be a matter of time before they use dna tests to sort things out.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0714071409.htm

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/4...h-and-science/

https://www.worldjewishcongress.org/...c-tests-reveal

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 07-06-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 12:50 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I don't know if I would gain much knowledge from a DNA test. I know the names and birth places of 12 generations of my Mother's maternal and paternal ancestors. They earliest of those 12 generations arrived in Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1634 & 1635 from England.

My father's maternal ancestors were immigrants from Germany in 1871. I know the town they came from in Germany, and I have visited the town. My father's father was an immigrant from Scotland, and everything I have seen from his ancestors says they had lived in Scotland for hundred of years.

So a DNA test should tell me I am roughly 25 percent Scotch, 25 percent German, 30-40 percent English, and probably a 10-20 percent mix of something else from northern Europe.

Maybe I'll take a DNA test just to see if it matches my own estimate, which I think is pretty accurate.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:58 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That is wonderful that you have Jewish heritage. I would cherish that forever. If either one of your grandparents were Jewish you would be able to make Aliyah to Israel. That would be super. I'm so sorry for the rejection. I've heard that law explained before, but still don't get it. A good Jewish father is very important in raising a Jewish family. Maybe it will change in time. Best regards, and Shalom.

P.S. To my understanding there are two different aspects to this. One is religious, and the other is bloodline. After all, you are the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. That can be traced.

Israel has been tracing different people by dna now for a long time. That includes african tribes that can trace their male line to the tribe of Levi. I believe that since Israel is on the cutting edge of breakthroughs such as this that it will only be a matter of time before they use dna tests to sort things out.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0714071409.htm

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/4...h-and-science/

https://www.worldjewishcongress.org/...c-tests-reveal

-----------------------------------------------------

I did get a chance to go to Israel but it was just a tourist thing. I did go to the Western Wall, though.

Cat

Old 07-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Default Being Jewish

I did contact "Birthright Israel" which gives free trips to Israel for those who are Jewish. I showed my daughter's DNA and they said she was definitely eligible - only my daughter didn't want to go.... oh well.

She's more into Asia and being half Jewish doesn't bother her. Although I do think that (I'm a mother, so just bear with me) her high IQ is from her Jewish side. Just saying.

Now that they have DNA tests, they can tell that a child is Jewish or not. In the past they only took the mother because you couldn't prove who the father really was. Thus, with DNA tests now, more kids are considered Jewish because their fathers are Jewish.

I will note, though, that I am divorced from him. He was brilliant, but mean! He and his two siblings went to Gifted Schools in NYC, but that didn't mean he was a good person. Thus, I raised my daughter alone and I think she benefited from not having him and his abusive personality around her.

My daughter is a great person, we are very close, and I have been very supportive of her. She is the jewel of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement