U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,376,133 times

Advertisements

I live in Ohio with a second home in Georgia where I work.

I commute back and forth two weeks in Ohio and two weeks in far south Georgia except longer times in Ohio during the summer and longer times in Georgia over winter.

I fly back and forth as my days of 12 hour drives are pretty much over. I can still do the drive but just don't want to.

So I can be at my down south office or my down south home or up north at my Ohio home or my cell phone if traveling. Right now I am at my down south home but head back for Ohio on Thursday where I will stay until July 11th and then back again for 12 days and back to Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,677,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think I've answered this question before but I like to have a picture in my mind of each of you as I read your posts and this helps create one for you too.

I am in a Victorian house in a room off the kitchen next to a southeast window. From the window I can see part of our back yard - my rock garden and pond, an arbor with bittersweet, a lilac tree, a ground birdbath, my DH's tomato garden a small flower garden of Asian lilies, part of the garage surrounded with ferns and lily of the valley. In the background is a wooden spite () fence scattered with sun wall hangings. When I look in that direction I am now prompted to smile. LOL

My computer is in an oak roll top desk with a mock Tiffany hummingbird lamp on top and a blown glass pitcher with silk lilacs. There is a small African violet struggling to survive in its new "Starry Night" pot. To my right is a built in bookshelf with pictures of the people I love and reference books I frequently use while posting.

On the desktop are a marble coaster and a hand-carved wooden pencil holder made from oak trees from the grove on a friend's farm we used to play in when we were children. There are my eye drops for glaucoma, a small jar of face cream and a bottle of nail polish, a small flashlight and some post-it notes from Norway with the flag printed on them.

I had a computer chair but after recent back problems have followed my doctor's advice to sit up straight so I sit in the last of my Grandma's turn-of-the-last century oak, press back dining room chairs. The pillow I sit myself down upon is quilted with a cat motif. I sit upon cats! That's a switch.
Great description, but even so, I'd love to see a picture! It just sounds so lovely!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 8 days ago)

30,147 posts, read 2,541,049 times
In a house I don't like, in a town I don't like; however, I do love my state.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 PM

8,624 posts, read 19,049,242 times
I access the site from my phone so it could be anywhere! Lol I usually post from home or the beach.... pretty much the only two places you’ll ever find me

I’m in Jamaica on a mountain side when home (either on the verandah or in the courtyard) and of course, I’m on a beach chair when at the beach.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Great description, but even so, I'd love to see a picture! It just sounds so lovely!
It would be hard to get a picture out the window with the lilac so close but here's a partial picture of the area I see. I look out from behind the left of the picture and toward the right.

Grumpy neighbor is behind the fence. Rabbits, squirrel, birds, toads, pet cat on this side.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:02 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,677,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It would be hard to get a picture out the window with the lilac so close but here's a partial picture of the area I see. I look out from behind the left of the picture and toward the right.

Grumpy neighbor is behind the fence. Rabbits, squirrel, birds, toads, pet cat on this side.
Thanks for posting a picture! Your yard is lovely and magical looking. I love all the plants, flowers and ornamental type things you have - the stone cat, the birdbath and what looks to be a small pond with lily pads, etc. Is that a clematis growing up along that trellis type wooden structure in front of the "spite fence?"

Really beautiful. What a nice view you have!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 AM

3,956 posts, read 2,028,343 times
I'm on my laptop and I'm plunked in my Art Deco chair in the living room where I can simultaneously look out the picture window and the open front door to the porch where the cats are lounging.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm always at my desk at home, eating, when I'm at C-D. I visit several sites while I'm eating my breakfast, and this is one of them. Later in the day, I come back to my desk for lunch, and go through the same sites to see what's new. Then, I come back at dinner. What a life, huh?

LOL...same here. I eat at my desk while I'm online partly because it slows me down. Working in restaurants for so many years, eating on the run...if at all...conditioned me to scarf it down! Not good. Anyway, I am on my PC when I'm doodling around online but read a lot on my phone. I just hate trying to type messages on those tiny letters and it takes me forever. One of these days I'd like to get a laptop.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 AM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
I'm at home drinking tea and searching for my morning chuckle here on City Data. I love to start the day with a good laugh and I can usually find it here.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thanks for posting a picture! Your yard is lovely and magical looking. I love all the plants, flowers and ornamental type things you have - the stone cat, the birdbath and what looks to be a small pond with lily pads, etc. Is that a clematis growing up along that trellis type wooden structure in front of the "spite fence?"

Really beautiful. What a nice view you have!
Yes, clematis. We had to move it as it was too hot there for it. Aren't they pretty flowers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or