U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,675,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yes, clematis. We had to move it as it was too hot there for it. Aren't they pretty flowers?
Yes, they're beautiful! I've always loved them and used to have some when I lived in Ohio. I don't have any now. Not sure how well they would do in SC. I'll have to find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:03 AM

31,970 posts, read 36,594,800 times
At the Brothel, between gigs.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:52 PM

4,923 posts, read 2,272,349 times
At home on the desktop or iPad, with maybe an occasional exception of sitting in the waiting room at the kids' orthodontist.

I generally have a tab up on each device at all times & sometimes a second tab open in 'reply to topic' mode. Due to the repetitive & ritualistic behaviors that define autism & that I have a severely autistic adolescent, I typically cannot finish any post that is longer than one paragraph in one sitting. Every morning during this summer break requires:

When kid wakes up, he is on the iPad for 20 minutes then switches to the desktop for 20 minutes, regardless of eating breakfast & this 'q20min' schedule continues to alternate until 11 am. Starting at 9:20 am, the last 10 min of every 20 min iPad cycle will involve plugging the headphones in & pacing/lunging throughout the entire main level of the house with fists clenched, loudly humming in a monotone "nggg" sound (Imagine a 6'3" bumble-bee).

Every iPad cycle ends with; "Will you charge this for me", even if it is at 99% battery. Nothing else can be done when it's time to charge the iPad or panic sets in. Nothing. If your hands are both full; drop it. If I'm typing on the desktop, I stop mid-word, it's literally not worth the panic that develops if I don't.

11 am is always 'clothing time' but if desk time started anywhere from 10:45 am - 11 am; I do not get to finish my word or else panic sets in. When I say "panic sets in", BTW; I do not mean he communicates anxiety by screaming or yelling. He can't, he's autistic.

Panic means being 100% silent while slowly & deliberately moving to punch you in the head. It's not as ominous as it sounds when you know to expect it; all you have to do is say "Yes?" really loud & take one step towards him & he runs away, screaming like a 6'3", 6-year-old girl.

If you don't expect it, unfortunately; you will be punched in the head by a 6'3" adolescent male. Every post I write that is longer than one paragraph usually involves the diversion of 2-3 head punches. It's been months since he landed one. Typically, the only verbal communication until 11 am, every day, consists of about 10 "Will you charge this for me"'s & 5 "NGGGG"s.

I won't horrify you with my afternoons, evenings or overnights; I wouldn't do any of this except that I really love that kid & I love CityData, despite never knowing which one will be more confrontational.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:22 PM

3,955 posts, read 2,026,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
At home on the desktop or iPad, with maybe an occasional exception of sitting in the waiting room at the kids' orthodontist.

I generally have a tab up on each device at all times & sometimes a second tab open in 'reply to topic' mode. Due to the repetitive & ritualistic behaviors that define autism & that I have a severely autistic adolescent, I typically cannot finish any post that is longer than one paragraph in one sitting. Every morning during this summer break requires:

When kid wakes up, he is on the iPad for 20 minutes then switches to the desktop for 20 minutes, regardless of eating breakfast & this 'q20min' schedule continues to alternate until 11 am. Starting at 9:20 am, the last 10 min of every 20 min iPad cycle will involve plugging the headphones in & pacing/lunging throughout the entire main level of the house with fists clenched, loudly humming in a monotone "nggg" sound (Imagine a 6'3" bumble-bee).

Every iPad cycle ends with; "Will you charge this for me", even if it is at 99% battery. Nothing else can be done when it's time to charge the iPad or panic sets in. Nothing. If your hands are both full; drop it. If I'm typing on the desktop, I stop mid-word, it's literally not worth the panic that develops if I don't.

11 am is always 'clothing time' but if desk time started anywhere from 10:45 am - 11 am; I do not get to finish my word or else panic sets in. When I say "panic sets in", BTW; I do not mean he communicates anxiety by screaming or yelling. He can't, he's autistic.

Panic means being 100% silent while slowly & deliberately moving to punch you in the head. It's not as ominous as it sounds when you know to expect it; all you have to do is say "Yes?" really loud & take one step towards him & he runs away, screaming like a 6'3", 6-year-old girl.

If you don't expect it, unfortunately; you will be punched in the head by a 6'3" adolescent male. Every post I write that is longer than one paragraph usually involves the diversion of 2-3 head punches. It's been months since he landed one. Typically, the only verbal communication until 11 am, every day, consists of about 10 "Will you charge this for me"'s & 5 "NGGGG"s.

I won't horrify you with my afternoons, evenings or overnights; I wouldn't do any of this except that I really love that kid & I love CityData, despite never knowing which one will be more confrontational.
Holy ****, coschristi, you have my total respect for your unstinting care for your son. Your patience must be phenomenal. Peace and blessings to you.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 2,540,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At the Brothel, between gigs.
But I thought your name was Rick,... John.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:27 AM

37,946 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It would be hard to get a picture out the window with the lilac so close but here's a partial picture of the area I see. I look out from behind the left of the picture and toward the right.

Grumpy neighbor is behind the fence. Rabbits, squirrel, birds, toads, pet cat on this side.

Oh.... Wow!!! What an eye candy!!!
Beautiful, serene garden...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:57 AM

18,341 posts, read 23,506,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

bless your heart...Ö.you my dear, are a saint

Old 06-28-2019, 03:00 AM

18,341 posts, read 23,506,172 times
im usually in my living room in maine...looking out my big picture window onto the lake..

right now its foggy but I can barely see and hear a pair of loons...they have a little one..
soon I will see ospreys and eagles come for breakfast of fish and then Canada geese with their little ones..

Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 AM

6,523 posts, read 1,336,586 times
Always in our den/office at home. (We don't have a Smartphone or a portable laptop.)

Old 06-30-2019, 06:22 AM

2,430 posts, read 3,657,283 times
In the Dining Room enjoying Breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or