Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:58 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times

Advertisements

Adopt-A-Highway.

here is the standard AAH question:
"do you think it's time to tell our highway it's adopted?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM

693 posts, read 704,539 times
I have been volunteering at a soup kitchen for the last 8 years and I love it. I have met so many wonderful people.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:38 AM

178 posts, read 124,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I am a hospice worker. For me, it is time well spent.

I have met the most amazing and inspirational people through this experience. It isn't for everyone, but for me, it is time well spent.

Hospice helped my own family at a time when we were about to lose a family member. I hope I can be of help to those families experiencing it.
Bless you for this! I don’t think it is something I could do, but I really admire the people who work or volunteer in this field.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:30 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
It used to be using my cat for pet therapy. There was one woman at the medical facility who teared up each time, she missed having cats so much...

Old 06-24-2019, 05:38 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I have posted before about volunteering at the food pantry. It keeps me REAL busy and involves a lot of physical activity, which I need. As well as meeting some great people and helping people out. Also, it's not the kind of volunteer gig where the volunteers need to be told what to do by staff. We are all pretty much self-starters and run the food pantry with minimal supervision.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:21 AM

178 posts, read 124,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It used to be using my cat for pet therapy. There was one woman at the medical facility who teared up each time, she missed having cats so much...
I’d love to bring my little furkid to a nursing home or hospital, but dogs are required to be certified therapy animals, and mine wouldn’t pass the test. He’s very sweet with humans but he’s timid around other dogs, which makes him act tough when he’s on leash.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:23 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have posted before about volunteering at the food pantry. It keeps me REAL busy and involves a lot of physical activity, which I need. As well as meeting some great people and helping people out. Also, it's not the kind of volunteer gig where the volunteers need to be told what to do by staff. We are all pretty much self-starters and run the food pantry with minimal supervision.

The FISH pantry in Williamsburg is one of the most popular volunteer gigs around here. A lot of people I know really enjoy it, and I think part of that is knowing they're helping out a place that does a lot of good.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:00 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
I volunteer as a dispatcher for our 55+ community's Community Service Group. I pick up phone messages from our service line from residents who need: rides to appointments and shopping; help with simple home maintenance tasks like changing lightbulbs and air filters; loaned medical equipment like crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, shower stools after surgery; referrals for support groups or approved/qualified paid service providers. After a phone conversation with the resident to get their address and details about their request, I refer the requests to teams of volunteers who perform the services. I then complete a log of the information gathered and actions taken. Keeps me on my toes and is a rewarding activity.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Great ideas here.

I've tried several volunteer deals and found they were not my cup of tea.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:15 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,362 times
I’ve volunteered for various dog rescue groups for 20 years. Fostering, transporting, evaluating shelter dogs, evaluating potential adopters. There’s a never ending supply of homeless dogs, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement