U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,507,532 times

Advertisements

I work for a small church that has a preschool attached. All the employees pay into social security. All the employees (even part-time) are part of the pension plan. The employee puts in up to 4%, that is matched and another 5% is added in. That is 13% into the pension system!

If the employee puts in nothing they still get 5% from the employer. I know all churches/preschools are different but I wanted to point out that not all are what the OP stated. We also get paid sick days and paid vacation days and 10 paid holiday per year. I know I am fortunate and that not all churches provide this but when I see a big mega church, paying minimum wage and no benefits I think to myself they are taking advantage of their employees. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 11:37 PM

578 posts, read 169,550 times
churches and many teaching jobs don't have to pay into ss, but then they also cannot claim ss. why would they do that? people are desperate and don't always make the right career decisions. It's sort of like paying $35,000 per year for a history degree. Idiocy.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 PM

7,615 posts, read 4,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Aren't you an independent contractor (or self-employed), OP, with your online business? (I think you sell jewelry online, but maybe that's not it?)
Yes, I am. And I too have to pay the entire SS contribution.

But that's not the same thing as being employed, in this instance, by a church. It seems the church may have exercised its right not to pay the employer portion of the teacher's Social Security. Apparently, since she has no benefit, she didn't pay either and wasn't required to.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:06 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,660,491 times
In my admittedly limited experience with employees of a denominational church (i.e. national presence and traditional brand) Pastors are covered by a pension plan operated by the national organization. I won't guess about SS but my suspicion is that they are covered there too.

Secretaries, Choir Directors, Custodians, Child Care and the such in a small congregation could all be considered part-time per-diem employees without added benefits.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 AM

200 posts, read 188,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Since I've never posted anything anti-religious/anti-church/anti-Christian and in fact have no such beliefs, I think you need to take your discernment meter into the shop and have it worked on.

I know where you live. I guessed it long ago from your description and you confirmed it. It's a small town far from the realities of living in California coastal cities. You are out of touch if you believe "everyone who lives in CA can afford it." Those with marginal jobs and salaries are being forced out. Many of those people are single, widowed or divorced women.
I agree with this. As a single, long since divorced, women, and now retired, I can identify with the struggle.
Add to that, if you are trying to support a family, it just makes it that much harder.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,602,882 times
Forgive the choppy text: the key ext to the letter, "M" is shot.

ALL 3 o the private Christia schools I'm iterviewig with curretly have beifits & retiremet

Old 06-25-2019, 05:10 AM

8,391 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I know where you live. I guessed it long ago from your description and you confirmed it. It's a small town far from the realities of living in California coastal cities. You are out of touch if you believe "everyone who lives in CA can afford it." Those with marginal jobs and salaries are being forced out. Many of those people are single, widowed or divorced women.
Well I never said "everyone". "Nearly everyone" is not the same as everyone. But yes I divorced myself from the realities of living in an expensive area decades ago. Its a choice. People can chose to live in expensive areas, be it Seattle, Portland, Denver or various locations in the eastern US or Vancouver Canada. I chose to live in CA, away from the expensive parts of the State. I'm a San Francisco native so I know a thing or two. Most of CA is not expensive coastal cities, where the cost of housing is high

Those with marginal jobs have a hard time making it regardless of where they live, even in Texas or Alabama. It is not just a California problem. Are you aware of the COL in Hong Kong, Paris or Berlin? LA or San Jose are bargains!

Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
Anyone who chose to be a fulltime, stay at home parent works with no chance of pension or social security.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 AM

71,501 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Anyone who chose to be a fulltime, stay at home parent works with no chance of pension or social security.
Not true if they are married or an ex spouse to someone eligible to receive benefits ....they may get both pension rights that pass and spousal benefits from ss , as well as survivor benefits....you don’t need your own work history to collect , you only need to meet the criteria as a spouse or ex spouse.
many work at jobs that may offer neither because they don’t need their own record ...my wife does better based on my record then her own.

In fact I bet a lot of married couples have one of them doing better under their spouses record.

This is why marriage and not just playing house together can be important

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-25-2019 at 06:05 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 06:09 AM

2,080 posts, read 706,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I did, most of my life.
I was an independent salesman, so nothing at all was taken from my commissions. That meant I had to pay both parts of my own social security, provide my own pension, and make quarterly payments to the IRS.

It all worked out well. But you have to make pretty good money if you're going to do it that way.
Yeah, there's a LOT of that. A friend worked for years as an IT contractor and did well, but paid into SS and saved money for retirement on his own. Employers love independent contractors- far easier to get rid of them and they have to pay for their own benefits.

I'm part of a church in a major denomination; our priest and the Music Director are our only paid employees but we used to have a paid secretary. We paid/pay into the national church pension plan for all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I live in CA nearly everyone who lives in CA can afford it. Otherwise, think about it, if people could not afford to live here would they not move away?
I read a news article about how one HOA in CA was requiring residents to keep their garage doors open during certain hours of the day so that it would discourage homeowners from renting out their garage as a living unit. I guess that's what some people living in CA can afford. I've been there and it's beautiful but no way I'd want to live there.

One more observation: I was raised Roman Catholic and they could, legitimately, exclude priests and nuns from SS. It hasn't worked out well. I think they figured they would always be a supply of younger nuns to take care of the older ones and that they could fund retired priests' homes. My mother had a cousin who was a teaching nun and in her 40s she taught in a secular school for 10 years. That was to get her enough credits to qualify for Medicare. Gaming the system, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or