U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2019, 08:24 AM
 
71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times
Reputation: 49088

Advertisements

I prefer to keep my religion, and morals out of my financial decisions.. as they say ——- it’s just business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 AM
 
6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Reputation: 12815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, frankly such churches are not very Christian, either:

Timothy 5:8, KJV: "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."
Very true

At our church our priest says he will not hire a permanent secretary until we can afford to pay them a living wage (minimum 15 and hour) and provide full benefits - insurance etc. Right now it is some volunteers and one lady that does the more technical work part time - but she is covered with insurance by her regular job.

Once we pay off the new building, he says we will hire a full time person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM
 
6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Reputation: 12815
Most public schools in Texas do not pay into Social Security - but do have a pension plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,572 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Reputation: 27640
It would be very rare for a preschool teacher to be a 1099. Maybe if she's going through some temp agency, she wouldn't have benefits, but the agency would be paying employer FICA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 AM
 
25,976 posts, read 32,984,687 times
Reputation: 32158
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I was reading a thread on one of those neighborhood sites -- let's call it DoorNext.com -- with people from my former town in CA complaining about how hard it is to live there with rents and prices escalating the way they are.

One woman commented that her career was as a preschool teacher at a church, so she has no pension, no Social Security and no Disability! Being an atheist, I'm not familiar with parochial schools but if they employ teachers, are they really exempt from making contributions to Social Security?

Just as an FYI - there are lots of folks whose employers don't participate in SS.


https://www.investmentnews.com/artic...curity-hurdles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM
 
2,087 posts, read 710,136 times
Reputation: 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
At our church our priest says he will not hire a permanent secretary until we can afford to pay them a living wage (minimum 15 and hour) and provide full benefits - insurance etc. Right now it is some volunteers and one lady that does the more technical work part time - but she is covered with insurance by her regular job.
My denomination REQUIRES that all FT workers get benefits. When this was enacted there was concern that churches that couldn't afford it would just cut hors so that employees would be PT. Some of that has happened, but I understand the reasoning that you shouldn't have high standard for clergy benefits (required to be in the National Church medical and pension plan) and another for everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,627 posts, read 4,686,468 times
Reputation: 27916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Just as an FYI - there are lots of folks whose employers don't participate in SS.

https://www.investmentnews.com/artic...curity-hurdles
I am MORE than aware of that, having many in-laws in current or former government jobs. They have pensions.

That is NOT what this thread is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 12:37 PM
 
Location: equator
3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Reputation: 8499
My sister is a missionary, and for many years her organization did not contribute to SS. I guess they had their own plan. But since the 80s they have been putting into SS, so now she can collect. Maybe they saw the light?

When we were young and dumb (as opposed to old and dumb ), we owned our own printing co.
We thought we were being clever that our books never showed a profit so we never had to pay into SS.

I'm paying for that idiocy now. All those working years basically off the rolls of SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,627 posts, read 4,686,468 times
Reputation: 27916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
When we were young and dumb (as opposed to old and dumb ), we owned our own printing co. We thought we were being clever that our books never showed a profit so we never had to pay into SS.

I'm paying for that idiocy now. All those working years basically off the rolls of SS.
To be fair, our generation was told repeatedly over the years that SS would go bust long before we reached FRA, so don't count on it being there for you.

What's worse is that the same message is going out to younger people today and that's why it makes sense to them to work under the table or not show a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Status: "Loving life, wife and job!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: USA
996 posts, read 382,712 times
Reputation: 2669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My sister is a missionary, and for many years her organization did not contribute to SS. I guess they had their own plan. But since the 80s they have been putting into SS, so now she can collect. Maybe they saw the light?

When we were young and dumb (as opposed to old and dumb ), we owned our own printing co.
We thought we were being clever that our books never showed a profit so we never had to pay into SS.

I'm paying for that idiocy now. All those working years basically off the rolls of SS.
Our longtime neighbor did the same. He had his own auto repair shop, lived in a home twice as large as the one that I grew up in and, one year, let it slip to my father the amount he claimed for taxes. It was way less than my father makes.

But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top