U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 04:34 PM

1,748 posts, read 3,217,095 times

Advertisements

The only thing most of us can do these days his hope a deceased relative leaves us some money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 04:37 PM

1,320 posts, read 643,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
The only thing most of us can do these days his hope a deceased relative leaves us some money
There is always the lottery. Co-worker, just won a mil.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 PM

277 posts, read 149,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'll believe that when I see it.

You may be the first, but I've never seen anybody turn down money that they worked for and are legally and morally entitled to. Maybe take the SS and then you can donate it to seniors in need.
Believe what you wish. I avoid taking any government handouts or depending on the state fulfilling its promises as much as possible. Yes, I'm an outlier; not to put too fine a point on it, but most people don't bother much about standing on principle when it benefits them to do otherwise. *shrug* I'm doing my best to prepare for my own future, as responsibility demands.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:59 PM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Believe what you wish. I avoid taking any government handouts or depending on the state fulfilling its promises as much as possible. Yes, I'm an outlier; not to put too fine a point on it, but most people don't bother much about standing on principle when it benefits them to do otherwise. *shrug* I'm doing my best to prepare for my own future, as responsibility demands.
My mother was like that when she legitimately qualified for forms of low-income assistance. But I did convince her to take SS, thank heavens.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 PM

2,076 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
I would very gladly take a job for which neither my employer nor myself was required to pay into a government ponzi scheme. If I ever retire, and if by some miracle Social Security still exists when I do, I would not take it anyway.
Yes, I would love to have opted out, too, but allowing people to opt out would cause the Ponzi scheme to collapse. I started collecting Survivor Benefits after DH died and will have no guilt whatsoever about collecting on my own record at 70; according to a pretty rigorous study comparing what a benefit similar to SS (with COLA, Spousal, Survivor benefits, etc.) would cost in the open market to the accumulated value of my and my employers' contributions accumulated at a reasonable rate of interest, I'm getting about 70% of the value; the rest is "re-distributed". (I made over the SS wage cap most of my career.)

And then I pay taxes- both State and Federal- on 85% of it.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:31 PM

3,876 posts, read 1,646,297 times
I worked a lot of jobs that didn't have pensions and some that didn't pay into SS. Most didn't have health insurance or sick leave or vacation pay, either. These jobs were usually creative and fulfilling, but I know there are horrible jobs that don't build retirement.

But then I looked to the future and sold out to get the benefits. I'm happy to be retired so I can just do fulfilling projects again.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I worked a lot of jobs that didn't have pensions and some that didn't pay into SS. Most didn't have health insurance or sick leave or vacation pay, either. These jobs were usually creative and fulfilling, but I know there are horrible jobs that don't build retirement.

But then I looked to the future and sold out to get the benefits. I'm happy to be retired so I can just do fulfilling projects again.
There's a time and a place for creativity, and often that time is in retirement.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:54 AM

1,243 posts, read 586,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes, I would love to have opted out, too, but allowing people to opt out would cause the Ponzi scheme to collapse. I started collecting Survivor Benefits after DH died and will have no guilt whatsoever about collecting on my own record at 70; according to a pretty rigorous study comparing what a benefit similar to SS (with COLA, Spousal, Survivor benefits, etc.) would cost in the open market to the accumulated value of my and my employers' contributions accumulated at a reasonable rate of interest, I'm getting about 70% of the value; the rest is "re-distributed". (I made over the SS wage cap most of my career.)

And then I pay taxes- both State and Federal- on 85% of it.
Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme. Obviously, you have collected your benefits with no one trying to defraud you.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:20 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times
I would think one would be very grateful for receiving Survivor Benefits from Social Security.

Rather than being grateful - and amazed that Survivor Benefits are even provided at all in any way by a system - to complain about receiving Survivor Benefits from Social Security if just bizarre.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth - and complaining about receiving Survivors Benefits is mind-boggling.

If a person cannot appreciate receiving Survivors Benefits, that person should give the Survivors Benefits to someone who can appreciate them or someone who needs them, like some women who live solely on $716 per month of Social Security or a retired senior who is low-income.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:40 PM

150 posts, read 29,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
So, areyou saying, once a teacher, you better stay a teacher? If you leave teaching......all those years are lost,as far as SS
Only in those states listed, at least for this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or