Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 09:18 AM

705 posts, read 562,006 times

Advertisements

My husband and I spend very little time apart. When we first got married he even went to the grocery store with me and that continued but lately he has gone alone because of my back. He once told me if he wanted to spend time without me he wouldn't have gotten married. I feel very fortunate to have him, he's one in a million. I've read about some couples lately that died within minutes or hours from each other, I tend to think that will happen with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqg5FtbgoDw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 11:15 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Because they can.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Being divorced so long and being my own boss and NOT having some one control me is My Way of living....my daughter was married to a person who controlled her every move and she was so sick, another story but time on one's own is a GOOD thing. And it;s true when one dies the other one can't live on, I say Bull to that one.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Okay - this might not be a retirement question, but the people that i personally know that do this are retirement age

What is up with this?

(snip)

Do people just stay married for convenience? Is that necessary in this day and age?

Just asking....
Is the question, "why stay ostensibly 'married' if the couple spends more time than not with friends or others, or even on independent trips?"

Answer: dunno, why would they 'stay' married, or even better 'get' married, outside of child rearing?

I find it an abhorrent thought. My 'partner' is a booty call, she's a nice person who occasionally tries to reel me in for more, with zero success. She'll dump me eventually if she has ANY brains, but until then it's not my problem. People believe whatever gibberish they want. I just take off when I can't stand the sight of her, and (much to her chagrin) we get back together weeks later. I'm in my 50s, she 40s. Who cares, end of the day: I do fun things on my own, hauling her around is no different than chaining a dead sea bird around my neck.

To raise children, I do believe marriage is a great idea. For others, it's dullsville in the extreme and a totally unacceptable boat anchor.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Is the question, "why stay ostensibly 'married' if the couple spends more time than not with friends or others, or even on independent trips?"

Answer: dunno, why would they 'stay' married, or even better 'get' married, outside of child rearing?

I find it an abhorrent thought. My 'partner' is a booty call, she's a nice person who occasionally tries to reel me in for more, with zero success. She'll dump me eventually if she has ANY brains, but until then it's not my problem. People believe whatever gibberish they want. I just take off when I can't stand the sight of her, and (much to her chagrin) we get back together weeks later. I'm in my 50s, she 40s. Who cares, end of the day: I do fun things on my own, hauling her around is no different than chaining a dead sea bird around my neck.

To raise children, I do believe marriage is a great idea. For others, it's dullsville in the extreme and a totally unacceptable boat anchor.
Reminds me of how women want their husbands to go shopping with them for everything, I can't imagine that in my life. Sit around near a dressing room while they try things on, good grief.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 PM

705 posts, read 562,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Being divorced so long and being my own boss and NOT having some one control me is My Way of living....my daughter was married to a person who controlled her every move and she was so sick, another story but time on one's own is a GOOD thing. And it;s true when one dies the other one can't live on, I say Bull to that one.
Quote:
Reminds me of how women want their husbands to go shopping with them for everything, I can't imagine that in my life. Sit around near a dressing room while they try things on, good grief.

Just because it's not your choice doesn't make it wrong or unbearable. My husband has never been controlling, we just enjoy each others company and prefer to be together. And there are numerous cases where a spouse has died and the other passed SOON after so it's not bull. Hard as it might be for you to believe, true, unconditional love is rare in this day and age but it does exist. Another case was Debbie Reynolds. While it wasn't her spouse.....She loved her daughter so deeply she said she wanted to be with Carrie so she could take care of her, she passed one day after the death of her daughter, Carrie Fisher.
And I hate shopping, I especially hate shopping for clothes but on occasion my husband has sat while I tried something on and gladly I might add. I have done as much for him while he shopped for clothes, a new hunting rifle, fishing gear etc... I think we are very considerate of each other. We've endured quite a bit together and not all of it was pleasant like our cancer battles. I assure you that we appreciate each moment we have together. If you don't know or want that kind of commitment and love, that's okay, we all have the right to choose the life we live, with who or with nobody but trust me, it does exist. No bull.

I'm not saying we do everything together. He does golf without me...one example but for the most part we do things together and oddly enough so do the other couples we are friends with.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
My husband and I spend very little time apart. When we first got married he even went to the grocery store with me and that continued but lately he has gone alone because of my back. He once told me if he wanted to spend time without me he wouldn't have gotten married. I feel very fortunate to have him, he's one in a million. I've read about some couples lately that died within minutes or hours from each other, I tend to think that will happen with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqg5FtbgoDw
I had a great uncle and aunt that died within minutes of each other.

It even states that in her death certificate.

He died first. She was devastated, threw herself on him, had a stroke and died!!!

Another fact - they were also first cousins -

Hey - they were born in the early 1900s. No big deal then.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:59 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Just because it's not your choice doesn't make it wrong or unbearable. My husband has never been controlling, we just enjoy each others company and prefer to be together. And there are numerous cases where a spouse has died and the other passed SOON after so it's not bull. Hard as it might be for you to believe, true, unconditional love is rare in this day and age but it does exist. Another case was Debbie Reynolds. While it wasn't her spouse.....She loved her daughter so deeply she said she wanted to be with Carrie so she could take care of her, she passed one day after the death of her daughter, Carrie Fisher.
And I hate shopping, I especially hate shopping for clothes but on occasion my husband has sat while I tried something on and gladly I might add. I have done as much for him while he shopped for clothes, a new hunting rifle, fishing gear etc... I think we are very considerate of each other. We've endured quite a bit together and not all of it was pleasant like our cancer battles. I assure you that we appreciate each moment we have together. If you don't know or want that kind of commitment and love, that's okay, we all have the right to choose the life we live, with who or with nobody but trust me, it does exist. No bull.

I'm not saying we do everything together. He does golf without me...one example but for the most part we do things together and oddly enough so do the other couples we are friends with.
Love that!

Old 07-26-2019, 11:09 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
How does that old saying goes? Different strokes for different folks.
We are all different (thank God). We are human.

What makes one person happy can make another person miserable.

It's sad when two opposites get together.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:40 AM

1,500 posts, read 885,882 times
Quote:
That is soooo true.....I rarely go clothes shopping, except maybe Kohl’s..

But my hubby sorta loves going to the grocery store...or esp Costco...problem is he wanders around and I lose him!

I find we are together...or at the same house..we have two...most of the time..I joke that he lives in the garage
..has a TV phone and internet there...
When we go to our desert home we always drive separately...he gets bored out there ...often he leaves earlier or comes later...
We are 75/79
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement