U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM

71,470 posts, read 71,652,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Those were the smartest people you know? Wow you need better friends and acquaintances. They were just blinded by greed.
to date no one ever lost a dime in any 10 or 20 year period with a 50/50 mix , so clearly these people were not investing smart. you had to go out of your way to loose money as diversified funds have never been higher .. if they lost money it wasn't markets but their own doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 10:10 AM

7,176 posts, read 8,625,644 times
Investments may be best managed by someone who knows what they're doing *and* has fiduciary responsibility to the client to manage the portfolio appropriately to match the client's needs *IF* the investor cannot do it because they are compromised in some way, be it emotionally, cognitively, or some combination.

There are many smart people who are too emotional--they fall in love with their picks, they develop a fondness for a company, they're convinced something has to give and go their way in some sector, they need investing drama because just being in solid stocks and funds is "too boring" or they can't or won't allow their investments to just be and are constantly dabbling. They're on the quest to be 'perfect' when they'd do better just being mostly consistent over many years.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:45 AM

4,136 posts, read 1,886,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This makes a lot of sense, Iím glad they are moving that way.
Thanks Tuborg. Glad that CCRC are able to give more options.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my buddy loaded up on lucent stock too. i tried to convince him he is NOT INVESTING , he is speculating by betting on the whims and outcome of one company .

most of these lost it all stories are not about investing , they are about speculating in the whims of individual companies that went bad.

this is why i never invested in my own industry too... you see things the rest of the world does not care about ..
Lucent, ATT, Compaq, Hewlett Packard...R.I.P. (Thanks Carly)... Hope you do better as a POTUS (Perfect role)

Retirement savings? Not a problem for her! (Need to be 'strategic' about how you LEAVE a company)
Carly Sneed Fiorina - Biggest Golden Parachutes - TIME

I witnessed (2) retiree couples die from the stress of having left their eggs in the Golden Goose (excellent stock) before "The Witch" did her magic on the company valuation.

Best to have a Plan B(ear Market / career loss). At work, or during retirement.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:36 PM

7,895 posts, read 5,028,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Those were the smartest people you know? Wow you need better friends and acquaintances. They were just blinded by greed.
It is precisely the smartest, who are most seduced by their own genius. It would never occur to the less-smart, to indulge in some ambitious fancy. Let's not mistake mere lack of imagination for outright wisdom. If I avoid some heady speculation, it may not be because I saw through it, and was wary of the risk. I may simply have been ignorant of the whole matter.

The truly dumb, so to speak, would be those who held off in buying tech-stocks throughout the 90s, but then plunged with aplomb into the frenzy, just as it was about to end. It's the fear of missing out, rather than some hubristic belief in one's prowess or judgment.

Greed affects us all, whether smart or dumb. The distinction is that smarter people have more opportunities to go astray, so that when failure overtakes them, it's more spectacular.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
Actually, the dumb ones in my family do very well in stocks. They just park it.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:57 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Thanks Tuborg. Glad that CCRC are able to give more options.
When you really get serious about the whole CCRC process and system you see a lot of what is discussed in this forum at work in their planning and the thinking of their potential clients.
This thread is right on target with how to pay for a CCRC and do you want a larger portfolio or higher monthly income at age 80. How to finance your CCRC cost can be a decision directly related to the title of this thread.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:34 PM

4,136 posts, read 1,886,778 times
^ Agreed. A Portfolio of various stuff, is very different than Income; and Income is different from Portfolio.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:56 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,725,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'd still have to sell as I needed money, but would probably withdraw significantly less.

I think the problem comes when you HAVE to withdraw $X,000 every year to meet basic expenses and $X,000 has become, say, 10% of your current assets. In an extended bear market that's a disaster and that's how people "lose all their savings" in a bear market.

Forty percent of my spending is travel and charity. I could cut back on both if needed. I hope I never have to.
Well said. I have never touched my IRA's (except for RMD's) but I did set up some other accounts to draw from to supplement my SS. They are the same Mutual Funds (as I like what I have) but they are not designated as IRA's.

If the markets (bottom line of most Mutual Funds) mess themselves, I could easily cut back spending and ride it out.

Bye bye vacations, expensive restaurants, new car every 2-3 years, expensive scotch/golf balls, young lady friend, etc. It will be tough..........LOL

Old 07-02-2019, 02:40 AM

71,470 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^ Agreed. A Portfolio of various stuff, is very different than Income; and Income is different from Portfolio.
it depends on the income sources ..it is all related .. my income to live on comes from a portfolio and that income draw is based on portfolio value ...so appreciation and income can be directly related .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or