U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:57 AM

4,136 posts, read 1,886,778 times

Advertisements

^ It can be. I imagine that most retirees' Income is Not well aligned with Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM

71,470 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^ It can be. I imagine that most retirees' Income is Not well aligned with Market.
it is if it is in bonds , cash instruments , reits or equities ... your whole opening draw in retirement will be based on those values . while some may be more volatile then others they all still follow the same rules ...

only social security , pension , annuities and to some extent rental income are not included when stress testing the portfolio for it's contribution to the income pot.

what does not get stress tested using value is insurance type products with pension like income .. real estate is to localized to have any rules or back testing so it is kept outside of the traditional assets stress tested. you are basically on your own with real estate in that regard .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-02-2019 at 10:26 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 06:52 PM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Quote:
Correct.

I'd at least imagine this would be the case for the ones who follow the "you should be largely OUT of 'the market' in retirement" advice.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 PM

#153^

Most retirees will retire with debt/mortgage, SS, and a paltry IRA. Plus a couple of years on Obamacare since they retired early and in not in great health. I imagine that their mostly SS retirement will Not be aligned to the Market.
Only advice I give is to myself. Too many factors and nuances to say anything elze. I encourage more disclosures for those who do offer "suggestions".

Old 07-03-2019, 02:01 AM

71,470 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
#153^

Most retirees will retire with debt/mortgage, SS, and a paltry IRA. Plus a couple of years on Obamacare since they retired early and in not in great health. I imagine that their mostly SS retirement will Not be aligned to the Market.
Only advice I give is to myself. Too many factors and nuances to say anything elze. I encourage more disclosures for those who do offer "suggestions".
most retirees have little money at any point in their lives so usually they are exempt from most financial discussions about investment strategy in retirement. so these discussions will never be about " most "

Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Well said. I have never touched my IRA's (except for RMD's) but I did set up some other accounts to draw from to supplement my SS. They are the same Mutual Funds (as I like what I have) but they are not designated as IRA's.

If the markets (bottom line of most Mutual Funds) mess themselves, I could easily cut back spending and ride it out.

Bye bye vacations, expensive restaurants, new car every 2-3 years, expensive scotch/golf balls, young lady friend, etc. It will be tough..........LOL
I plead with you to at all cost keep the young lady friend. Your evenings with her keep you rolling and lifestyle focused. Without that you wouldn’t be you!

Old 07-04-2019, 10:03 AM

7,176 posts, read 8,625,644 times
I never understand why posters get concerned with what others are going to do in their retirements. I mean, really who cares what someone on the Internet does? Each person is unique with their own set of needs & considerations.

The real question is what will YOU (OP) do to manage YOUR retirement expenses and your portfolio in whatever market you are contemplating? If you have a plan for yourself (and spouse) then you're all set and that's all you need to be concerned about. If you don't have a plan and don't know what to do then you need to get a plan so you can follow it, and that means talking to someone with expertise in estate planning or elderly planning.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:58 AM

^ Happy 4th of July. Reaffirm your Independence from all tyranny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or