Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 02:03 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times

Advertisements

It has to be inflation adjusted since it is what is left over after spending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 02:53 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You're not the boss of me
I think that is something that 6 years say.....

Old 06-29-2019, 03:24 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think that is something that 6 years say.....
You're not my supervisor - Cheryl/Carol

Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
From what I’ve seen higher equity ratio doesn’t necessarily mean higher balance. Looking at people who posted their returns for 1 year, it’s still negative. June to June. Even though this year YTD returns have been spectacular.
???

I’m no investments guru, but my own self managed portfolio, of 75/10/15, (NOT including the 15% in HYS @ 2.2% ) has been 14% YTD, 8% June to June, 9% Avg, last 3 years, 12% annual avg, last 10 years. Only really possible because of my highest salary years enabled much higher savings rates during this great bull run.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:44 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^ so, what happens after the 30th year?.
For portfolios where the cumulative average rate of return (after taxes etc.) exceeds the inflation-adjusted 4% withdrawal rate, nothing happens... the portfolio keeps chugging along. But if the 4% gets adjusted for inflation, where the portfolio doesn't earn enough, eventually withdrawals start overwhelming the capacity of the portfolio.

Running some numbers in my own calculation (not Fire Calc or any other web site), with conservative (but not direly pessimistic) rates of return, I find many scenarios where at year-30 the portfolio is healthy, but in the next 5-10 years it rapidly gets depleted. That's because that initial 4% has grown - due to inflation - to a much higher percent. The upshot is actually an obvious one: if we want a portfolio that endures perpetually, we need a withdrawal rate that is less than the after-tax annual rate of return. If the portfolio just barely manages to track inflation, then the "safe" withdrawal rate is 0%.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:55 AM

what happens most of the time is unless you take raises along the way you end up dying with more than you started ...90
5 of the 119 cycles have ended up with more than you started

in theory though if you planned to age 100 and at 99 had 30k left with 29k in expenses a year , that is a successful outcome but i doubt with 1 years worth of money left you would feel very successful . you could have a buck left the day after you dies and that is considered successful

Old 07-01-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
For portfolios where the cumulative average rate of return (after taxes etc.) exceeds the inflation-adjusted 4% withdrawal rate, nothing happens... the portfolio keeps chugging along. But if the 4% gets adjusted for inflation, where the portfolio doesn't earn enough, eventually withdrawals start overwhelming the capacity of the portfolio.

Running some numbers in my own calculation (not Fire Calc or any other web site), with conservative (but not direly pessimistic) rates of return, I find many scenarios where at year-30 the portfolio is healthy, but in the next 5-10 years it rapidly gets depleted. That's because that initial 4% has grown - due to inflation - to a much higher percent. The upshot is actually an obvious one: if we want a portfolio that endures perpetually, we need a withdrawal rate that is less than the after-tax annual rate of return. If the portfolio just barely manages to track inflation, then the "safe" withdrawal rate is 0%.
the return is not the key , the sequence of those returns are key to what happens ... there can be a 15 year difference between best and worst outcomes using the same exact return in different orders so returns mean little , and sequences mean a whole lot. if you are using straight line average returns where every year is positive you are fooling yourself .

DR MOSHE MILEVSKY wrote a very interesting paper years ago , RETIREMENT RUIN AND THE SEQUENCE OF RETURNS.

he took an example of a constant 7% return year after year based on a 7% average return over 30 years and drew 7% or 950 a month out starting at age 65 . the money was exhausted by age 86. this is typical of what uninformed folks do in an excell spread sheet or reverse amortization calculator when they have to enter a growth rate so they use an average.

he used 7% so you can see the effect in all examples since the accounts could be drained .

next he took the same 7% average return and made it happen in different orders.

he made year 1 up 7% ,year 2 minus -13% and year 3 up 27% and repeated that pattern . the same 7% average return went broke at 83.

again , same 7% average return ,making the first year up 7% , next year up 27% and 3rd year minus -13%. you went broke at age 90. your money lasted 7 years longer than the example above with the same 7% average return.

next he did first year minus -13% , 2nd year up 7% and 3rd year up 27% . you were broke by 81.

that is also the same 7% average return

lastly he made 1st year up 27% ,2nd up 7% and 3rd year down 13% , same 7% average return and you lasted until 95.

that is almost 10 years longer than just figuring a constant 7% year after year ,.

the variation on the same 7% average return in how long your money will last is largely controlled by the order of those gains and losses.

in this case the same 7% average return most folks just throw in an excell spreadsheet and spend down didn't last until 86.5 like the spread sheet said. they went broke based on the order of that 7% average anywhere from 81 to 95.

as you see being down early on can drastically reduce your failure age by a lot even though the average return over time is identical. it isn't just the sequence of returns that has this effect ,it is the sequence of inflation too. now you have the two working against each other as well altering outcomes even more.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-01-2019 at 02:23 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 07:03 AM

64 posts, read 58,846 times
Mathjak - thanks for the good analysis above and summary of the article. However, you left out the best part... what is the solution? Everything you are saying is exactly correct, and actually speaks to the problem with the drawdown method - so what do you do?

Also - another question for those who like this method rather than a passive income strategy. Rather than take 4% out every year and hope to preserve capital by gaining at equal or higher rates of return - why not just protect the capital completely and come up with a strategy that expects a 4% dividend return? Even if you simply bought the SPY ETF and played the overall S&P index, you would expect a 2% yield with a smaller tax hit. Serious question - I would love to understand the thoughts around this! Dante

Old 07-01-2019, 07:07 AM

it is already done for you ... the best calculators today like firecalc are based on the absolute worst outcomes for setting draw rates ..anything better then the worst we have had is a bonus .

a good calculator never uses any assumed average return , it plans around the worst case outcomes . so far are worst time frames for retirees are those who retired in 1907 ,1929,1937 1965,1966 .. 1965/1966 are the worst of the worst so a safe withdrawal rate is based around these outcomes.

a 2% or 4% nominal return is not good because in down years you will be spending down excessive amounts since dividends are not interest and your portfolio is offset by a matching drop ... and it is not inflation adjusted to your personal cost of living increases .

you need specifically a 2% REAL RETURN as a minimum , that is after inflation , as an average actual outcome over the first 15 years of a 30 year retirement ..spend down to far those first 15 years and the greatest bull market in history was to little to late .

but remember .. being 99 and having 30k left when it cost you 30k a year to live may be considered a successful retirement but you won feel so good , so you actually need more than to average a 2% real return .

a 2% real return is only what it takes to hold 4% inflation adjusted spending for 30 years . you may have a buck left for year 31

Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
???

I’m no investments guru, but my own self managed portfolio, of 75/10/15, (NOT including the 15% in HYS @ 2.2% ) has been 14% YTD, 8% June to June, 9% Avg, last 3 years, 12% annual avg, last 10 years. Only really possible because of my highest salary years enabled much higher savings rates during this great bull run.
I saw it in ER forum. 89% in equity he had negative 1 year return, I have no idea why. I thought everybody invested in index, apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement