U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
she said she thought it was called Plenty "Offish" - of fish as one word
Hm, I thought that was a joke. Maybe she'll come back and tell us if she was kidding or not.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 PM

2,532 posts, read 949,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Your assumptions are erroneous. First, we are not a generation that "didn't use social networking and such...".

I've been using computers extensively for 30 years since 1989, and for tons of various uses, both personal and work.

And we're talking about online dating for older people and seniors, not your son and daughter in law who met online in their late twenties.
She can mention them if she wants to. No skin off your nose. I'm glad that someone has found happiness on those sites, no matter what their ages are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I tried an over 50 dating site (at age 75) but the only responses I got were from women my own age which I am not interested in. The 50ish age women I contacted did not respond. I gave up after a few months.
I can see what your problem is right away..... You are not being realistic.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:59 PM

8,946 posts, read 7,721,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I can see what your problem is right away..... You are not being realistic.
I agree. Lesson learned, but much of this online babble is teaching/learning.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Uugh! The few ruin it for everyone. Just registered the other day on a site. A "ton" of interest in just two days, but I haven't paid anything so can't see any of the messages or who sent flirts. Guess I'll just have to take everything down and go crawl back into my hole. (It's not so cold in there now that it is summertime.)
Awww, but it was a pretty good ego builder while it lasted. As an intelligent older guy I'm sure you would do well either on a dating site, or in "real life". Happy hunting.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree. Lesson learned, but much of this online babble is teaching/learning.
True. And there is always the next time. You could try 60, and up. We really aren't that bad. Sometimes we just have to adjust the way we think about things, both men, and women. I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:46 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,399,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I do, too- started happening as soon as I changed my status from Married to Single 2 years after DH died. I had connected with the guy I was dating on FB so I thought it was time, but figured "Widowed" would make me a real target.

Yes, I got Friend Requests from nice-looking guys with brand-new profiles and no other friends. Two were military; I put their pictures in Google Images and found they were real military- except that there was an article about how the one had had many fraudulent profiles created with his picture (he was happily married) and I suspect the other had no idea he had a FB profile. Sad. I reported both.
lol, am I the only one who simply "ignores" friend request from strangers?

this is a general question @althena53, not specifically to you. (lol)

Ladies, if a perfect stranger walked up to you and said he wanted to be your "friend" and/or asked for your information however general what would you do?? me, I'd say something like "I have a friend, his name is Mr. Tazer"

when I hear these stories I shake my head because if it happened in real life most folks would be super cautious.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 07-02-2019 at 06:21 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 06:49 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Right. They even try on Facebook. I get these friend requests from <unknown name> with a picture of a handsome older man with carefully styled hair that I guess I'm supposed to think is real and accept. I always wonder if there are women who fall for that.
It goes the other way too.

I get a few spam invites a week from these 10/10 models with few friends or just a couple. It's clear that it's just spam.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:17 AM

13,189 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, am I the only one who simply "ignores" friend request from strangers?

this is a general question @althena53, not specifically to you. (lol)

Ladies, if a perfect stranger walked up to you and said he wanted to be your "friend" and/or asked for your information however general what would you do?? me, I'd say something like "I have a friend, his name is Mr. Tazer"

when I hear these stories I shake my head because if it happened in real life most folks would be super cautious.
Still a stranger, use the same caution when it comes to stranger.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I do, too- started happening as soon as I changed my status from Married to Single 2 years after DH died. I had connected with the guy I was dating on FB so I thought it was time, but figured "Widowed" would make me a real target.

Yes, I got Friend Requests from nice-looking guys with brand-new profiles and no other friends. Two were military; I put their pictures in Google Images and found they were real military- except that there was an article about how the one had had many fraudulent profiles created with his picture (he was happily married) and I suspect the other had no idea he had a FB profile. Sad. I reported both.
Mine says "in a relationship" but I still get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or