Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 02:29 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Not only is FB used to connect with family, friends, it is used broadly for businesses, and also for political views.
Yes, the bolded is particularly true.

I've noticed businesses have widely been incorporating FB into their marketing and advertising plan in recent years. I've seen businesses display something like "Like us on Facebook, and get a discount on your next purchase". Then, people see their family & friends like these businesses, so it works kind of like free advertising for the business, since they might be more inclined to patronize a place their family or friend says they like.

I personally don't have profiles posted on any social media outlets, so I don't really have skin in that game, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 02:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It depends on what we are talking about as "senior" here.

I am a couple of months shy of 52. I sent Internet emails as far back as 1985 and after graduating college in 1989 used computers extensively too. But I went to a college that was very "techy", I was one of the early "computer science" majors there, and this college had in a crude, internal "early adopter" kind of way many tech things that people take for granted today like online interactive gaming and even forums much like this, something that was mostly not true outside of the academic and military environments at that time. I often joke so ahead of the curve on all this that I was really meant to be born 20-30 years later, and truth be told, most people into this stuff at that time were "nerds" (yes, I pretty much was, I admit it ) and 20s and younger.

Since "senior" dating sites usually define it as 50 and up, if you are talking about people in their 50s, you are correct as I can say what you say of most if not all of my peers. Once you start getting north of 60, and certainly 65 (the more common definition of "senior"), which I thought this thread was more about, then I don't think it's so erroneous. I'm not saying that anyone over that age is a complete technophobe (my 75 year old mother and her 80 year old brother certainly are not), but I don't think it was so "ubiquetous" for them until recently.
I am 72. I used computers in my work quite extensively until I retired as did my DH. We have had personal computing in one form or another in our home since the late 1980s. I’ve participated in several online forums through the years.

If someone around my age worked they probably used a computer. Certainly 60 year olds, would likely be computer literate. My parents’ generation—not so much. People who have lived into their nineties are probably not used to using computers or personal electronics. Some who have lived into their eighties, possibly. And there are exceptions to everything!

Old 07-02-2019, 03:05 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes, the bolded is particularly true.

I've noticed businesses have widely been incorporating FB into their marketing and advertising plan in recent years. I've seen businesses display something like "Like us on Facebook, and get a discount on your next purchase". Then, people see their family & friends like these businesses, so it works kind of like free advertising for the business, since they might be more inclined to patronize a place their family or friend says they like.

I personally don't have profiles posted on any social media outlets, so I don't really have skin in that game, anyway.
Yes I agree, doing business on FB is the way to connect these days, most assuredly. At least until another platform is constructed. Or the FB monopoly is split up.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:32 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I only mentioned it as an aside to why I would leave FB. But since you asked. The issue i mentioned is huge, and very widespread. It has to do with free speech, and being able to air opposing viewpoints. Not only is FB used to connect with family, friends, it is used broadly for businesses, and also for political views. The following link will explain it more thoroughly. If you haven't heard of this yet, you will. There is a lot about it out there, you just have to look for it. Conservative content is being suppressed. They are picking winners, and losers, and there is a big uproar about it.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...-raheem-kassam

------------------------------------------------------
OK, thanks for the info. Would not be appropriate to discuss the issue further here, but it just reinforces my choice to not engage in politics on FB.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:39 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
That's funny. I recall going to a friend's mothers funeral about 15 years ago, and two older women were hitting on the widower in the funeral parlor. It's like he was just baked bread at the bakery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
above, when i posted YES, i remembered my father-in-law.
my MIL died first, and "the word" spread quickly that my FIL was "single".
he had no need of any help at all. it was/is a Gold Rush.
so...yes...it is "different". i became aware of HOW different in 2017.

Last edited by bobspez; 07-02-2019 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 05:32 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, thanks for the info. Would not be appropriate to discuss the issue further here, but it just reinforces my choice to not engage in politics on FB.
Thank you. I won't mention it further.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:43 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am not so sure on how many young people find a match with on-line dating. I read an article in the Atlantic recently that had some pretty bad numbers, something like 1 out of 300 contacts made in the dating app actually end up being a date.
That was far from my experience - good grief!!

Old 07-02-2019, 05:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
My hot cute blond from eharmony met me in the parking lot in Nashville when I got off the plane there she was
Quasimodo

Old 07-02-2019, 05:50 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
My hot cute blond from eharmony met me in the parking lot in Nashville when I got off the plane there she was
Quasimodo
Man you are STILL telling that story???

Old 07-02-2019, 06:01 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Man you are STILL telling that story???
We've all had those dates that are 5-10 years older than their profile.
Never understood that one. Bad way to start a relationship and when they tell me it's strike 3 automatically.

Or the photos are 5-10 years old. Even worse.

Opps, she forgot to mention she's gained 50lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement