Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 06:09 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

I went on a Yahoo Personals date once with a guy whose hair had apparently fallen out recently, because he only had a slightly receding hairline in his pic.

So stupid. Having a full head of hair was not a priority for me. Being a person of honest character was. The picture had to have been seven or eight years old.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Off topic......I cannot for the life of me figure out why young people have so much trouble meeting people to date. Unless someone moves a lot it seems to me they would know people from high school, university, or their job (although that might not be the wisest date pool). When I was young I met people at parties, the library, work, the pool, skiing (husband!). We ran around in packs and met new people all the time.

It occurs to me that we may just not hear much from people that have good dating/relationships. It may just be a case of the people unable to find relationships being louder/complaining about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 05:43 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Off topic......I cannot for the life of me figure out why young people have so much trouble meeting people to date. Unless someone moves a lot it seems to me they would know people from high school, university, or their job (although that might not be the wisest date pool). When I was young I met people at parties, the library, work, the pool, skiing (husband!). We ran around in packs and met new people all the time.

It occurs to me that we may just not hear much from people that have good dating/relationships. It may just be a case of the people unable to find relationships being louder/complaining about it.
In a high school or university environment, there is a huge pool of potential dating partners. Once someone leaves that environment, the pool of eligible dating partners could substantially shrink or dry up completely, depending on circumstances.

Given that many former classmates may have moved away from the area after graduation, social media and online dating profile sites can provide additional avenues for younger singles (or older, for that matter), to stay in touch with those former classmates, or meet new people they otherwise wouldn't have an opportunity to meet.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Because these days, people move around a lot. So people they knew from school have all left the area. And it's taboo in many workplaces to date someone you work with. Times have changed. It's harder to meet people to date. That is why online dating is such a booming business.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Man you are STILL telling that story???
Nothing is more offensive than the truth
Is that you Karen?
You are right I should let it go I was going on to Memphis to visit my uncle anyway

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-03-2019 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That was far from my experience - good grief!!
That wasn't my experience with online dating either. But I was in my early to mid 30s when I was doing it. I got lots of contacts from men. Women in their 20s got even more hits. I think a lot depends on the person's age and gender, and other factors, as to whether or not they are contacted. I also met my spouse through an online dating service. It may not work for others, but it worked for me. If someone posts a profile and contacts 300 people and can only get one actual date out of it, it's probably because they aren't what most people would consider a desirable potential partner.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:03 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That wasn't my experience with online dating either. But I was in my early to mid 30s when I was doing it. I got lots of contacts from men. Women in their 20s got even more hits. I think a lot depends on the person's age and gender, and other factors, as to whether or not they are contacted. I also met my spouse through an online dating service. It may not work for others, but it worked for me.
That's wonderful that it worked out for you! I wasn't going to share this because others were chastised for including younger people because the thread was about OLD for senior citizens, but since you and other people have mentioned instances that weren't related to seniors only, I'll share it. I think it's a cute little snippet.

My step-daughter met her husband via OLD - I don't know which company/service or whatever you call them. Anyway, they have been married for about 7 years now. The cute part is that they have the exact same birthday. They were born on the same day, same year, about 2 or 3 hours apart.

They've been very happy together and we all love her husband. Great guy - handsome, solid and dependable - just what you would hope for your daughter.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:28 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
That's wonderful that it worked out for you! I wasn't going to share this because others were chastised for including younger people because the thread was about OLD for senior citizens, but since you and other people have mentioned instances that weren't related to seniors only, I'll share it. I think it's a cute little snippet.

My step-daughter met her husband via OLD - I don't know which company/service or whatever you call them. Anyway, they have been married for about 7 years now. The cute part is that they have the exact same birthday. They were born on the same day, same year, about 2 or 3 hours apart.

They've been very happy together and we all love her husband. Great guy - handsome, solid and dependable - just what you would hope for your daughter.
Great story, thank you. They sound cute together.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
My wife won’t let me

Old 07-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post

That's great. I've heard some parents say "I'd never want my kid to meet their spouse online". I'm like, why would it matter? Online dating can work and has lots of success stories. People who otherwise would have never had a chance of meeting each other, and would be stuck with the very small dating pool at their work, church, synagogue, etc.

There are OLD services for seniors and people over a certain age; that's something I would recommend. Some of these others are more geared towards a younger crowd and I don't think an older person would have success on those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement