U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 10:56 AM

23,090 posts, read 19,525,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Laugh of the day! Sarah Palin's hub!
I said that because I think another poster said this poster said they used to have a government job? State Trooper is government, yes? Tod(d) Palin is now EX-Statie, right? Anyhow, I am glad someone caught my humor and got a laff. X3 btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 11:03 AM

8,945 posts, read 10,987,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You'd be pretty lonely. Nobody shops any more. You'd more likely meet someone having your groceries delivered. Or the pizza. I've seen some nice looking UPS drivers.

Seriously, I prefer being single but life is online now. Yes, you have to be careful. Yes, there are women and men who have been taken advantage of but that's IRL as well as online.

There's a lot of ways to meet someone. Online is certainly an option.

Welcome to the 21st century.
LOL. It's only an option if you are interested (feels too contrived to me). When everyone was in the bars in the 70's meeting men, I was home most of the time, reading or doing other things. I met who I met when the time was right. I'd rather meet someone taking a class, at a book club, walking the dog (if I had one), etc.

Being lonely is a state of mind. People can be lonely in marriages, with big families, etc. and being single doesn't have to be lonely. There are loads of single people who do just fine.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-04-2019 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 11:25 AM

208 posts, read 123,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I have seen man after man ask her out and fail. They wind up confused until they are clued into her living situation. At least with online dating it is more or less upfront. You are both looking to date and have a relationship. It cuts down on some, not all, of the problems that come with meeting somebody.
I wonder if part of the allure for online dating apps is rejection doesn't seem so personal?

I've never tried online dating, it seems too much like ordering groceries on line...I want this, this and this, no substitutions. I think I'd rather run into the back of someone's foot in line at the check out counter and see where it goes from there.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:12 PM

20,199 posts, read 19,196,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
I wonder if part of the allure for online dating apps is rejection doesn't seem so personal?

I've never tried online dating, it seems too much like ordering groceries on line...I want this, this and this, no substitutions. I think I'd rather run into the back of someone's foot in line at the check out counter and see where it goes from there.
Ha! Good one.

I never had much luck meeting men and that's why online dating was great for me. I never was the bar type and I'm on the quiet side, and if I ever did strike up a conversation with a man, they would turn out to be married. Online dating gave me a chance to look from home at my own convenience and read what these people wrote about themselves and what they thought was important in life.

A lot were too shallow, too conceited, or "too" something so I eliminated them. I'm pretty picky anyway--didn't want someone who just cares about cars or watching tv. As to your first sentence, may be true--I always found it a tiny bit embarrassing flirting with a man only to find out that he was already married. At least in online dating, they are looking for someone. Some do turn out to be married though--I never met one who was married but one married man did contact me. Turned out he was really nice, was in a miserable marriage only staying because of the kids, but he kept in touch with me occasionally by phone for a year just to talk and offer emotional support since I was newly divorced. He never cheated on his wife, never asked to meet me, and I respected him for that. Turns out there ARE some nice people out there.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 PM

239 posts, read 87,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ha! Good one.

I never had much luck meeting men and that's why online dating was great for me. I never was the bar type and I'm on the quiet side, and if I ever did strike up a conversation with a man, they would turn out to be married. Online dating gave me a chance to look from home at my own convenience and read what these people wrote about themselves and what they thought was important in life.

A lot were too shallow, too conceited, or "too" something so I eliminated them. I'm pretty picky anyway--didn't want someone who just cares about cars or watching tv. As to your first sentence, may be true--I always found it a tiny bit embarrassing flirting with a man only to find out that he was already married. At least in online dating, they are looking for someone. Some do turn out to be married though--I never met one who was married but one married man did contact me. Turned out he was really nice, was in a miserable marriage only staying because of the kids, but he kept in touch with me occasionally by phone for a year just to talk and offer emotional support since I was newly divorced. He never cheated on his wife, never asked to meet me, and I respected him for that. Turns out there ARE some nice people out there.

I agree. I gave up taking "one day" classes because you never had time to talk to anybody. You really need the social interaction of several classes to get to talk to people before and after. The same with book clubs, volunteering, etc. I used to volunteer at an art fair each year but I never met anybody there so I quit doing it. In any group you have to weed out the married, living with somebody, those not interested, those that you don't care for and those that don't care for you. It all takes a huge amount of time. I never had any luck just talking to strangers either. How does that work? Going from I never met you in my life to want to go out? So even though online dating is full of problems for an older person I think it has many positives. I wish there was an easier way.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:32 PM

533 posts, read 234,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
I think I'd rather run into the back of someone's foot in line at the check out counter and see where it goes from there.

Please do not run into the back of my foot at Walmart. I already have people asking me to reach items they could easily get themselves. I am never at my best while shopping.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,618,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Right. They even try on Facebook. I get these friend requests from <unknown name> with a picture of a handsome older man with carefully styled hair that I guess I'm supposed to think is real and accept. I always wonder if there are women who fall for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I do, too- started happening as soon as I changed my status from Married to Single 2 years after DH died. I had connected with the guy I was dating on FB so I thought it was time, but figured "Widowed" would make me a real target.

Yes, I got Friend Requests from nice-looking guys with brand-new profiles and no other friends. Two were military; I put their pictures in Google Images and found they were real military- except that there was an article about how the one had had many fraudulent profiles created with his picture (he was happily married) and I suspect the other had no idea he had a FB profile. Sad. I reported both.
My Facebook profile is pretty locked down: no relationship given, you can't see my Friends list, etc. But just like the two of you (and I'm sure many others), I get random friend requests from men with new profiles who are (1) supposedly good looking (I'm positive photos are stolen from someone else's profile), (2) supposedly widowed, and (3) supposedly in the military. Their friends list is usually comprised totally of women who, I guess, did not realize that these men are utter fakes.

If I don't know you, your friend request will get deleted...even if you're a friend of a friend.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,618,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I've noticed businesses have widely been incorporating FB into their marketing and advertising plan in recent years. I've seen businesses display something like "Like us on Facebook, and get a discount on your next purchase". Then, people see their family & friends like these businesses, so it works kind of like free advertising for the business, since they might be more inclined to patronize a place their family or friend says they like.
I'm pretty sure that in order to have a Facebook page for a business, you have to pay, so there is no free advertising on that particular platform.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:41 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,336,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You don't seem to realize that Alaska is so different than the "lower 48" or you just like to argue about everything. Are you Sarah Palin's husband? jk Isn't Wasilla where she lives?
It's the same when I winter in AZ. Shop early or the store will be packed with people later in the day. And Sarah's husband's name is Todd.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:08 AM

32,320 posts, read 37,050,081 times
Did anyone watch the movie The Book Club ?

Even Federal Judge Candice Bergen did on line dating and it was very humorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or