U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 08:05 AM

2,784 posts, read 762,414 times

Advertisements

Just be careful. Not that you are going to meet up with a serial killer or someone who wants to steal your money---just someone to be pretending to be someone they are not (fake photo, demographics, etc.). I've been watching Catfish (originally a movie and now a TV series) where people are convinced they have a wonderful relationship with someone they met online and that they will even get married....even though they have never met and usually haven't Skyped. It's amazing to see how often people are taken in. One woman was madly in love with a guy and texted him daily for 8 years--patiently waiting until he had time to meet her. Each episode the hosts arrange for the two people to finally meet. So far no one has used their real photo and a couple have been women pretending to be men! They are all much younger than seniors, but I'm sure it could happen with over 60 people as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:33 AM

466 posts, read 306,139 times
Just curious. Does anyone have extensive conversations with men who seem very sincere but turn out to be fake?

I've been communicating with a man who promises me the world and never ever asks for money from me. I'm puzzled.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

238 posts, read 87,487 times
Online dating has one big advantage. You know the women are single and want to date. In real life, in groups or church or volunteering you waste an incredible amount of time trying to figure out a persons status. They are married but don't wear a ring, they live with some guy, they are gay, they hate men, they don't want sex anymore, the list is endless. So you join the group or whatever, approach a woman and chat her up, only to find out she is not available for dating. Do this about 10 times and online dating looks pretty good. That being said, it really is a mess. Fake profiles are everywhere, you get where you can spot them. As others have noted, the women all have a great life. They have friends, go kayaking, travel. Then why are they on a dating site? Or they seem to have never graduated from motorcycles, bars, and tattoos. I put right up front I am a democrat and I did not vote for Trump. I don't want to date anybody that supports him, and that cuts out some women. At age 60, I certainly am no prize. But some women even in their 50's look like they have been run over by a train. Yet they still demand a guy with a big wallet and a full head of hair. On the dating sites the men outnumber the women by a big margin. So unlike in real life, ALL women are in huge demand. Women that would not get a second glance in real life think they are a great catch on a dating site. They act accordingly, so you can write multiple women and they don't even bother to respond. You get to where you can read the code about weight too, and often the photos are shot to hide things. How hard is it to take a good full shot on an iphone? The fact that many women don't do it speaks volumes. Once you actually get to the first date, you have to listen to them ramble on about their drunken ex-husbands and how they cheated or otherwise were losers. And yet these women did not just date these guys, they married them. And had kids with them. When it comes to sex, the women in their profiles often put down that it is off the table for some time. I don't mind waiting, but I have plenty of friends. Why are we dating if there will not be some level of intimacy? Even holding hands and snuggling in a movie often seems to be a bridge too far. Overall, it is really stacked against men. The best path is both online and also trying to get out and join groups. But it is hard. Statistics say half the people in the country are single, but you could not prove it by me.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

13,951 posts, read 6,671,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Just curious. Does anyone have extensive conversations with men who seem very sincere but turn out to be fake?

I've been communicating with a man who promises me the world and never ever asks for money from me. I'm puzzled.
Thatís usually the sign. Anyone who promises you the world. My sister met one of those and told me, I suspect something odd about it. Sure enough he was.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

16,541 posts, read 10,496,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
Statistics say half the people in the country are single, but you could not prove it by me.
Maybe because you're ignoring the fact that being single doesn't mean interested in dating. There are those who have been married and don't want to go that route again. There are those who have never been married and are quite happy that way.

And, of course, there are those who do want to date. Probably at this stage of the game they're the minority.

Old Today, 08:57 AM

Or they might want to date but not another senior. That’s my take anyway, if my husband is not around, I want a helper in old age. Must be at least 10 years younger is my requirement.

Old Today, 09:00 AM

2,073 posts, read 2,702,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post

Yep, it happened to me. The guy turned out to have lied about so many things, big and small, including the university he graduated from, his military record, the number of times he had been married, the fact that he had been arrested for domestic violence on one of his wives ...

Promising you the world is a red flag. The problem is (and credit where credit's due: I can't claim to have originated this) when you're looking through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags.

Old Today, 09:06 AM

They know who to target too.

Old Today, 09:08 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,340,156 times
One thing I have learned over the years is talk is cheap. Anyone can promise the world, but can they really do that??

Actions speak louder than words.

Old Today, 12:12 PM

466 posts, read 306,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I tried an over 50 dating site (at age 75) but the only responses I got were from women my own age which I am not interested in. The 50ish age women I contacted did not respond. I gave up after a few months.

Did that surprise you?? Iím sorry but Iím 65 and 75 is too old for me. I can only imagine 50 year olds not wanting a 75 year old man. Btw I look good for my age and am healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or