U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 12:08 PM

18 posts, read 8,604 times

Advertisements

I think younger people fare better with online dating than people 60+. I don't have statistics on why, but maybe because young people are more into technology and they have that in common.

That said, I feel that older women, as noted by others, are a target for con artists and criminals. I have a friend in her late 60s that was recently was fleeced out of thousands of dollars, and is now in court over this. We're viewed as desperate and lonely, and therefore vulnerable. Widows are especially appealing to these types because it's assumed they have a pension or were left money by the deceased husband. I've noticed women who own their own houses, especially the widowed ones, are also at risk, as was the case of my friend. Older men are often taken advantage of by younger women for pure financial gain. One poster mentioned the stories on Dateline (and add Forensic Files to that), some that are pure evil: people quickly marrying someone, taking out life insurance policies, and then murdering the spouse. This is not a one time occurrence, I've seen several of these stories.

I would advise people in our age group to skip the online stuff. Too many skilled liars and con artists who see us dollar signs, and "disposable." So then, what to do? I like the idea of the social gatherings that local senior citizens centers offer. These most always offer the opportunity to dance and when we were younger, that's how we met many of our partners: at dances! Volunteer work is another good way to meet people, as long as you're choosing activities that draw volunteers of a similar age. Keep an eye out for singles dances for older people that may be offered at social clubs like VFW and the Elks. The clubs sponsor the event, but they're open to all; you need not be a member. An introduction by a trusted friend or relative is also valuable, but not always easy to come by.
I would also advise against going to regular bars and nightclubs. The people that go to clubs are not looking to meet older people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:33 PM

73,180 posts, read 72,988,974 times
I always found it easiest to meet just doing the things you like ... it seems really easy meeting people of all ages at our gym .. I converse with so many people there just because we are all there ... while I am not looking I don’t think it would be hard following through with anyone I had an interest in there plus you both see what your getting at least physically.

I met my wife at the local jogging path .. I was roller blading and she was jogging .....

I thought I was seeing the shadow of a tree in my path .as I got closer it was a chain from the bench to a garbage pail someone left in the middle of the path .... well I had been looking at her and hit the chain ... I fell , she stopped and helped me as I was bleeding ..

Saw her again a day later there and we talked and jogged and the rest is history... that was 19 years ago.

We belong to a photography club and that is a good place to meet others who share your interests ...these are the best ways since you meet with no expectations or pressure just in conversation..

Now that I got back big time in to drumming again I spend a lot of time in the studio ....you are always getting in to conversations with others ... again it seems fairly easy to meet people without it actually being a planned event .

I think people just need to go back to the old school way of meeting .. today these forced date situations rarely work out.

It is always easiest when you are somewhere where you share a common interest and just strike up a conversation... you already have stuff in common .

These dating sites are so bad from what I see my friends. Go through .

It usually has a conversation that goes something like SO ENOUGH ABOUT ME , what you think about me ? Lol

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-02-2019 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 12:49 PM

10,377 posts, read 3,964,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
and they all want young beautiful women. Well they may want it and try to get one, but if I was young and beautiful I wouldn't want an old geezer. Lol. And a 75 year old poster on here confirmed it. He want "50ish" eye roll. Can't blame him for trying though. Lol
There's no way i would marry a 75 year old man. And I would only date him if he was in excellent health - no heart disease, no diabetes, no history of stroke. And works out on a regular basis. I'm not going to sign up to become anyone's unpaid caregiver.

To be honest, I think anyone should be suspicious of any one over 60 wanting to get married. There are enormous legal ramifications to getting married late in life.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:10 PM

2,510 posts, read 887,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There's no way i would marry a 75 year old man. And I would only date him if he was in excellent health - no heart disease, no diabetes, no history of stroke. And works out on a regular basis. I'm not going to sign up to become anyone's unpaid caregiver.

To be honest, I think anyone should be suspicious of any one over 60 wanting to get married. There are enormous legal ramifications to getting married late in life.
There's a guy in my Garden Club who's widowed- maybe late 70s. At one point I was close enough and in good enough light to read the 3 metal "dog tags" he always wore: "Stents", "Diabetic" and "Warfarin". Ummm, no!

And I totally agree on the perils of getting married late in life- probably not gonna happen for me. I'm still open to relationships, though.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:39 PM

14,003 posts, read 6,699,167 times
Mathjak, thanks for the good tips. I’ll pass on to my kid and her roommate, next time you see a good looking man, try to get hurt somehow, bleeding would help. Might get better response in LA.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I see naked men every week. Not sure how old they are.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:45 PM

73,180 posts, read 72,988,974 times
I bet you are one of those women my mom warned me about ..the kinds that undress me with their eyes ....I am always going ,hello , I am up here. Lol

Old 09-02-2019, 05:15 PM

10,377 posts, read 3,964,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyking55 View Post
I think younger people fare better with online dating than people 60+. I don't have statistics on why, but maybe because young people are more into technology and they have that in common. .
It's because typically your age is the first thing they see in your profile. People can set filters for a certain age range and exclude everyone outside of that age range. They'll never even see the profiles of, say, women over 45 if they want younger.

I met my husband through match.com. Age is on every profile.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I bet you are one of those women my mom warned me about ..the kinds that undress me with their eyes ....I am always going ,hello , I am up here. Lol
Mathjak, they get paid $35 an hour just to be naked. I thought it was easy money for senior citizens but I quickly realized thatís hard work, to stand still for so many minutes.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
It's because typically your age is the first thing they see in your profile. People can set filters for a certain age range and exclude everyone outside of that age range. They'll never even see the profiles of, say, women over 45 if they want younger.

I met my husband through match.com. Age is on every profile.
When Iím 62, I will list my age as 26. Maybe Iím dyslexic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or