U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 04:14 PM

73,205 posts, read 73,010,057 times

Advertisements

The single women where I work say I make them all very happy ...they see how needy I am and say I am so glad I am single ...but it wasn’t like my wife didn’t know..she did get a copy of the proper care and feeding of mathjak107 from my mom ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 05:10 PM

113 posts, read 26,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I wanted to photograph models in the nude - but they keep telling me to get dressed
An old guy met a really good looking young lady who said 'I'll do anything for 100 dollars. He said "Great, come over and paint my house"

I was very happy when I was single and now I am very happy that I am married. You have to enjoy your own company before others can enjoy your company.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:48 PM

1,254 posts, read 2,209,034 times
Before I quit Match.com I actually met a real person, about 45 minutes away, lived in a retirement community and a widow like myself. We went out a few times, coffee and dinner. Then I noticed she never had time to really "hang out", always busy with senior bowling or whatever. If we did anything it had to be scheduled 1-2 weeks out. I like spontaneity so it was never gonna work. Has anyone run into this sort of thing? I doubt she's married or any of that.

Perhaps some seniors are just too busy to take on a relationship.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 PM

1,254 posts, read 2,209,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I to "have concerns" about getting married at 66. I don't think I will. The two times I've been married haven't really worked out for me financially. When you marry, you are giving the other person the ability to totally wreck your credit, and drain your assets. Too many think that your money is our money, and their money is their money.

But as Athena says, I'm still open to a relationships, I just need to check with my financial adviser and my lawyer, about the implications of a long term relationship and so called, "common law marriage".

I dont think would get hitched again at 65. But I dont see why two seniors cant enjoy each other's company without a ceremony.
BTW, California doesnt have common law marriage, like many states.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 AM

221 posts, read 126,652 times
When someone who's been divorced or widowed jumps back into dating, certainly after a long term relationship, I think it's difficult to stop thinking like a married person and learn to think like a single. There's a learning curve. I think you might be thinking like a married person.

Is this woman someone who's too busy to take on a relationship or someone who's carved out a life for herself as a single person and needs more than a few dinners to decide if a relationship is possible and worth giving up part of the life she has now, or adjusting it to better accommodate a partner?

Old 09-04-2019, 10:53 AM

5,439 posts, read 3,524,985 times
I've noticed that a good number of older men think that dating should be very easy - he asks you out, and a relationship is expected. Just by the mere fact that you've had a date or two or three together, this type of man thinks that's it, that's all it takes - similar to an ethic in place many many decades ago where if one is 'courting' there is no reason why a woman would not accept this man long-term - as he's a gift, he's courting, and the woman most likely takes what comes to her. (according to his thinking)

Old 09-04-2019, 11:46 AM

5,240 posts, read 2,558,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I've noticed that a good number of older men think that dating should be very easy - he asks you out, and a relationship is expected. Just by the mere fact that you've had a date or two or three together, this type of man thinks that's it, that's all it takes - similar to an ethic in place many many decades ago where if one is 'courting' there is no reason why a woman would not accept this man long-term - as he's a gift, he's courting, and the woman most likely takes what comes to her. (according to his thinking)
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. A lot of older people, regardless of gender, are a bit scared about dating. It's new territory in an old body. Because of this, some come across as over-confident, others accidentally put their foot in their mouth, some want to move too quickly, and many are subjected to quick decisions about whether it's worthwhile pursuing any type of relationship.

Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM

73,205 posts, read 73,010,057 times
one of the problems as we get older is that even if you are gym rats like my wife and i , progress is no longer measured in gains . it is measured more in what we are not losing compared to others our age .

it can be very frustrating working out daily only to stay the same but it is what it is . it is just hard to get used to not seeing the results like you used to .

the funny thing is when it comes to my drumming i am seeing amazing progress . i can do things faster and cleaner today then 30 years ago .. so some muscles still respond well but others not so much .. i think the drumming involves more smart muscle . meaning that the existing muscle is there , you are just learning to bring more fibers in to play and not necessarily growing new muscle .

but it does seem there is a limit we bump and we reach a point you can't fight age no matter what you do . so what we are is pretty much what we are. we can reach a point where it is just the best you can do short of surgery . so you just have to learn to take yourself as you are .

good or bad this is what we have to work with and what others see .

good or bad , this is me last week in chicago ... i ain't getting any better no matter how much effort i put in . ha ha ha

Last edited by mathjak107; Yesterday at 04:49 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,593,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
good or bad , this is me last week in chicago ... i ain't getting any better no matter how much effort i put in . ha ha ha
Looking good to me, but there's a big fly on your right shoulder.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

4,829 posts, read 3,354,556 times
^^^^^^^^^ Took me a minute...... but good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or