U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 PM

17,846 posts, read 54,109,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wouldn't recommend it for people over age 65. I found my husband online but I was age 60 and he was 67 and living in the UK. It was an ordeal getting him here though Immigration, took years and loads of money. We wish we had found each other many years earlier.

I decided to look in the UK because the American men online were so obnoxious and just bragged about their money and their cars. Booooring. I'm not after their money. Who cares about their cars. They were full of themselves. At least the several British men I dated--and who came over here to meet me--were decent, polite, modest, kind, and we were compatible. One was going to buy me a ticket to come visit him but at the last minute he admitted that had lied about his age and was 75 instead of 65 but what a sweet, nice man. A 15 year age difference would have been too much. Another who did come over had been abused as a child and wasn't good at relationships, but he was wonderful and fun, and at least he confided in me and we said we would always be soulmates.

Of the British men I never met, a few kept in touch anyway by phone and email. They were all wonderful and kind, and would call to see how I was and to offer support because I was alone and newly divorced from a husband who had run off due to a complete mental breakdown and wanted no part of me.

The men online usually want a much younger woman. The woman online are often located in another country and just want a green card. That's what I'm hearing lately. One woman came over, got married and got the green card and one year later she called the police and said she was being abused. Her husband got thrown out of his own house. He divorced her--she was Russian and it's Russians who are trying to flee their countries. I know one guy now who is being pursued by a 20 year old Russian girl--he has no money to pay for a green card so the joke is on HER.

Of course, there's always the Nigerian prince scam, lol. They will send you their multi millions if you will just give them your bank account number!
Ummm, having read the requirements for individuals entering the country, back when the president was complaining about family wavers, that sweetie will almost certainly be deported back to Russia. It takes a ten year marriage and other requirements to be allowed to stay. Legal immigration is not an easy process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 09:12 PM

17,004 posts, read 17,320,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Exactly.

My roommate is 73 but i first met him when he told me he was 46!

They grow on you
I'm curious how old he really was when he claimed that he was 46.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
i'm curious how old he really was when he claimed that he was 46.
49!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
I was 35 or so

Old 06-27-2019, 09:41 PM

8,115 posts, read 8,616,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Many people who are currently in their early 70's have used computers extensively for 30+ years for both work and personal uses.

Erroneous assumptions and inaccuracies all over the place about this.

And the people currently in their early 70's who have used computers for 30+ years are not just computer science majors or nerds - they are people who worked in a vast array of professions and careers.

(I don't want to get off on this side topic except to correct the erroneous idea that seniors and older people have not been computer users for many decades at work, in their careers and professions, and in personal life and haven't done social networking on them)

(also age 50 is not a senior in today's world)

Your above statement is completely wrong. And don't judge everything on what your relatives happen to do or have done - there is a much wider world than your relatives.
Exactly. If you are 70 today, then you were 40 in 1989. Most businesses were very computerized by that time. You were probably using Word Perfect and then morphed into Microsoft Office products before you were 50.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,798,899 times
Since I've been married for a very long time I haven't used online dating.

However I do know two folks who have, and both had good results.

One is my mother-in-law, who after being a widow for a couple of years asked my wife to set up her an account. So at age 80 she eventually met a fellow 82, and for the past ten years they have been very good friends, staying over each other's places occasionally and going out to some events. They mostly maintain independent lives, but have a good solid relationship considering it started so late. They are good company for each other.

The other is a friend of mine in California. He lost his wife about five years ago and started to date about two years after she passed away. He had a lot of "misses" in his dating experiences, but was persistent and didn't let it get him down. Eventually he found a great lady who has been an absolute home run for him, they are a great match. It took over a dozen failed dates to eventually meet the right lady, but it was well worth it to him. So at 70, he has restarted his life again and is having a great time having her go places and do things with him. She moved in with him less than 3 months after their first date, and it is still going very well over a year later.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:18 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ummm, having read the requirements for individuals entering the country, back when the president was complaining about family wavers, that sweetie will almost certainly be deported back to Russia. It takes a ten year marriage and other requirements to be allowed to stay. Legal immigration is not an easy process.
I've been married to my English husband for almost ten years. I think it's five years that they are sort of on probation and could be deported. You have to promise to be responsible for them for five years financially and you could report them and get them deported. I had fun with that for five years when I wanted my own way, lol. Just kidding.

It's VERY hard to get into the country legally and very expensive and takes years. You know, actually I think the guy who married the young Russian girl did have her deported. He was an idiot though and somehow paid her way AGAIN to come back. Probably they were still married. Then she ran off or something. She didn't care about him at all but she was very, VERY beautiful. I saw the pictures of her. He was just a jerk, someone I met online and I threw him back, too crazy.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:27 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I described it wrongly as 'bad experiences'. The OP used that terminology in her original post.

I didn't have any bad experiences.

What I found is way too many undesirables, and way too few desirables. Very slim pickings of desirables.

And also a depressing array of men who looked like criminals, ex-convicts, low-lifes, and uneducated people. (and sounded that way too in their profiles)

And that older men usually want women younger than their own age.
Exactly. When I did it, I was in my early 60s, I think. They wanted women around age 20, lol.

I didn't find the criminals or low lifes but I found arrogant guys with lots of money to throw around. They always had their picture taken next to their very expensive car and they would brag about their house/houses. Many of them didn't want relationships but said such things as, "Looking for an attractive woman to sit in my (fill in the blank fancy expensive sports car) as I cruise up and down the coast" or "I have a magnificent home at the beach and would like women to come and spend weekends for which I will pay."
The most arrogant and snotty guy was a doctor who bragged on and on, listed all his cars, all his houses, and "the woman must look and act properly at the country club and other clubs to which I belong." I could easily have filled the part (I think) but he sounded so conceited and materialistic, that I ended up writing and telling him that he didn't come across very well. He wrote me a nasty note back.

Woman usually want a nice man. Kindness, understanding, companionship, caring. Most of us are not impressed with much else. The type of man who wants a 20 year old woman when he is 70 yrs old is going to be taken for a ride! And it won't be in his fancy car either, lol.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:47 PM

5,422 posts, read 3,440,673 times
I meant that in their photos, many of the men looked like ex-convicts, criminals, and low-lifes, and many looked and sounded uneducated in their profiles.

(especially looked the above described way on POF.com (PlentyofFish.com)

I did not meet any of the above described in person nor respond to their profiles.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,068,748 times
One senior gentleman here has posted on the local social media that he is looking for a wife/companion. He stated that he will be in the produce section of the Safeway store every Tuesday from 3 to 4 if any woman is interested. Now that's a new way to get a date without using an on line service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or