U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2019, 11:51 PM
 
5,422 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Reputation: 13657

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

After my mother died, I would stop in to check on my dad. Several months after she passed away I stopped by and there was my dad, sitting in "his chair" surrounded by five church ladies. They all arrived separately bearing pies, cake, cornbread and other goodies. This was the first time they all arrived on the same day.
Did that result in any dates or relationships or a companion for your Dad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2019, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
21,534 posts, read 43,962,244 times
Reputation: 15132
Friend of mine had a neighbor "Irene" whose husband of over 40 years died of cancer about four years ago. He didn't linger long. They were both in their early 70's. She was still working as a visiting nurse, I think. When he was alive, they loved to travel.

He wasn't in the ground three months, when she started her online search on Catholic Singles. Met quite a few men, so I hear, dated several. Within nine months of hubby's death, she was planning her wedding to another widower in our area. Don't think hubby was gone a year, when she remarried.

She moved in with him before they married. Both had houses to sell. Hers was sold first. She then worked on selling his, then they moved to a rural condo out in the sticks. Shortly thereafter she had a mild stroke and they moved again back to the city to a premier senior living facility (CCC), but both are still in decent shape, I hear.

I asked my friend what spurred Irene to move so fast. Friend replied, Irene went to church and was ignored by the couples she and hubby had known earlier. Made her so mad, she said she'd be damned if she was going to stand for that treatment. So, she went out and found herself a man.

My son met his wife on eHarmony. As did a friend of his. Both marriages perfectly compatible. eHarmony questionnaires are quite daunting, can take several or more hours to complete - hopefully weeds out most of the grifters.

Catholic Singles and eHarmony might be a better sites than POF, Our Time, and their ilk.

Sounds like many of those who've succeeded were persistent in their search and undeterred by numerous bad experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 01:08 AM
 
5,422 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Reputation: 13657
The problem with Christianmingle.com and Catholicsingles.com is that one needs to be genuinely religious.

For agnostics, atheists, and people who are just not interested in religion, do not follow a religion, and really have little to nothing to do with religion - it is not genuine or authentic to try to date people on those two dating sites.

One woman who met her husband on Christianmingle.com told me to go on that dating website and just tell men that "I love God". LOL. It is not as simple as that, for certain. Saying that would be inauthentic and foreign to many like myself.

Also, a non-religious person could not necessarily relate well with men who make religion the center of their life - there are many people who do that - even on the non-religious dating websites, some say 'Must love Jesus' and similar requirements.

Even if religion is not quite the center of their lives, they still most likely would have expectations of religious and/or church attending people to date.

I agree, though, that ChristianMingle.com and Catholicsingles.com are probably great ways to meet people to date, find a companion, develop a relationship. There is also Jdate.com for Jewish people.

I don't think eHarmony works as well for seniors. (as it did for your younger son & his friend)

Quite a while back, I completed the eHarmony questionnaire, signed up, and there were no seniors in my age group even signed up with profiles on the site. That was back a while ago - it may have changed, but probably not much.

Any senior person who met a senior person on eHarmony can pipe up if they met someone there or dated there - and in that case, it has changed. If so, any success stories of seniors on eHarmony?

(interested in senior experiences only, not experiences of younger people on eHarmony - experiences of young people or younger people on eHarmony have no application to seniors)

Last edited by matisse12; 06-29-2019 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Reputation: 11907
Several years ago a friend kept telling me to try E-Harmony. So I signed up. Paid the $250 they were charging at that time. Filled out the questionnaire (yes it was very long).

Never heard from anyone. I wrote to E-H because they were always on TV practically promising you would find someone, maybe more than one someones.

Their answer? You are too old.

I was in my 60s, have a good picture, wrote a good profile.

What a waste of money. Should have taken a nice vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
Reputation: 19382
EHarmony won't accept your application if you state you are atheist. I had heard this and didn't believe it so I started a profile on there just to find out. I filled out the app honestly and put atheist in the religion question. They replied that they couldn't help me and turned down my app with no explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 AM
 
8,225 posts, read 10,776,670 times
Reputation: 7621
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I tried an over 50 dating site (at age 75) but the only responses I got were from women my own age which I am not interested in. The 50ish age women I contacted did not respond. I gave up after a few months.
So,got what you deserved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 AM
 
25,964 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Reputation: 32145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Several years ago a friend kept telling me to try E-Harmony. So I signed up. Paid the $250 they were charging at that time. Filled out the questionnaire (yes it was very long).

Never heard from anyone. I wrote to E-H because they were always on TV practically promising you would find someone, maybe more than one someones.

Their answer? You are too old.

I was in my 60s, have a good picture, wrote a good profile.

What a waste of money. Should have taken a nice vacation.
Weird.

It's been a while, but 2 gals I worked with both started with eHarmony at the same time (they are good friends). They were in their 50s at the time. They both met nice men, and wound up having a double wedding.

There are good and bad experiences, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:22 AM
 
25,964 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Reputation: 32145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I'm not single BUT this just a word of warning, please be careful....to anyone meeting people online. I watch way too many shows on ID and if I were single I'd be afraid in this day and age to date anyone I met online. Lots of horror stories for seniors as well as young people.
You will find more horror stories regarding people that met via some other way, I assure you.
OLD works for many many people. You have to use common sense, no matter HOW you meet someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:23 AM
 
25,964 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Reputation: 32145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I tried an over 50 dating site (at age 75) but the only responses I got were from women my own age which I am not interested in. The 50ish age women I contacted did not respond. I gave up after a few months.
Hahahahaha! Yes the OLD part is surely where the problem lies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:33 AM
 
199 posts, read 73,587 times
Reputation: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The problem with Christianmingle.com and Catholicsingles.com is that one needs to be genuinely religious.

For agnostics, atheists, and people who are just not interested in religion, do not follow a religion, and really have little to nothing to do with religion - it is not genuine or authentic to try to date people on those two dating sites.

One woman who met her husband on Christianmingle.com told me to go on that dating website and just tell men that "I love God". LOL. It is not as simple as that, for certain. Saying that would be inauthentic and foreign to many like myself.

Also, a non-religious person could not necessarily relate well with men who make religion the center of their life - there are many people who do that - even on the non-religious dating websites, some say 'Must love Jesus' and similar requirements.

Even if religion is not quite the center of their lives, they still most likely would have expectations of religious and/or church attending people to date.

I agree, though, that ChristianMingle.com and Catholicsingles.com are probably great ways to meet people to date, find a companion, develop a relationship. There is also Jdate.com for Jewish people.

I don't think eHarmony works as well for seniors. (as it did for your younger son & his friend)

Quite a while back, I completed the eHarmony questionnaire, signed up, and there were no seniors in my age group even signed up with profiles on the site. That was back a while ago - it may have changed, but probably not much.

Any senior person who met a senior person on eHarmony can pipe up if they met someone there or dated there - and in that case, it has changed. If so, any success stories of seniors on eHarmony?

(interested in senior experiences only, not experiences of younger people on eHarmony - experiences of young people or younger people on eHarmony have no application to seniors)



There are a number of red flags on dating sites. Religion is a big one. If they mention god in the profile, such as "god is number one in my life" - then you better be on the same page. If not, move on. Some people use church just for a social outlet but others are deeply involved. Finding a partner that thinks the way you do about this issue is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top