U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 09:11 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times

Advertisements

My daughter avoids those sites, this is a girl who likes to go to church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:40 AM

482 posts, read 204,083 times
The "lonely hearts" business has always been full of fake ads with obvious studio photos of actresses, hookers looking for customers, criminals looking for victims, and people one would naturally cross the street to avoid. Now it's all online, and it's even easier to steal photos from random websites and to provide instant, fake, "hits" with data matching the sucker's profile. My experience is that is what you get on Match.com, and other similar sites -- I tried two but I don't even remember the names. Deleted my profile within 30 minutes. At least I didn't pay any "premium" fees to look at the fake photos.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM

1,185 posts, read 662,420 times
This thread is interesting as I have women friends who are divorced and widowed in their 50s and 60s. They have no interest in dating or getting married again. They love to travel, enjoy their families, have their own activities and homes. I had no idea senior online dating was so common!

Old 06-29-2019, 12:28 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

Several years ago a friend kept telling me to try E-Harmony. So I signed up. Paid the $250 they were charging at that time. Filled out the questionnaire (yes it was very long).

Never heard from anyone. I wrote to E-H because they were always on TV practically promising you would find someone, maybe more than one someones.

Their answer? You are too old.

I was in my 60s, have a good picture, wrote a good profile.

What a waste of money. Should have taken a nice vacation.
Yes, exactly. There are or were no seniors signed up on eHarmony so there are no people to get matched with.

As I stated in my post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Quite a while back, I completed the eHarmony questionnaire, signed up, and there were no seniors in my age group even signed up with profiles on the site.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:32 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
This thread is interesting as I have women friends who are divorced and widowed in their 50s and 60s. They have no interest in dating or getting married again. They love to travel, enjoy their families, have their own activities and homes. I had no idea senior online dating was so common!
I don't think i would either. It would have to be some specatular spontaneous event if that were to happen

I have a couple of divorced friends that have to have a romantic partner. Their husbands were awful, so maybe that is why?

They are looking for something they missed out on?

Old 06-29-2019, 12:45 PM

2,067 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't think i would either. It would have to be some spectacular spontaneous event if that were to happen

I have a couple of divorced friends that have to have a romantic partner. Their husbands were awful, so maybe that is why?

My second husband was a dear man. I'd gladly take him back in his healthy state but that won't happen. Frankly, I love my peaceful house, my slightly eccentric schedule, my outside activities, and having no one else to click the remote. My attitude has been that I want a man in my life only if he adds to it. So far this one has. Some things (to put it delicately) are less fun when you do them by yourself!

Old 06-29-2019, 12:53 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,237,575 times
Quote:
I don't think i would either. It would have to be some specatular spontaneous event if that were to happen

I think you nailed it, Clemencia. There are people (both sexes) who for one reason or another think they have somehow "missed out" on something important. So they seek other partners to make up for their "loss". Unfortunately, many times they find out that what they thought would be better turns out to not be better.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:32 PM

1,185 posts, read 662,420 times
Quote:

Excellent point. Maybe when some people get to a certain point in life, the “shoulda, coulda, woulda” regrets kick in.

I would not want money or stepchildren entanglements (sometimes those two issues are very much entwined).

Of course, some folks really don’t like to be/live alone while others love the privacy. But so many creeps out there . . .

Old 06-29-2019, 01:44 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:

Wanting to be loved or cared for emotionally is more the reason.

Loneliness at times is another reason. Another reason is wanting companionship. Or not liking living alone.

Another is wanting a special connection in life with someone. And wanting to be known on a deeper level by one person.

And intimacy.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:49 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,382,569 times
If I ever find myself without my husband, I'm not planning to look for another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or