Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 06:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

My daughter’s counselor met her husband online and she proudly mentioned it in public many times. And she’s very good looking. Some fields have more of one type of sex vs the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 06:34 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I can't even imagine. If I was single and interested in meeting someone (can't even imagine) it would be in the produce aisle. Wouldn't do internet dating. Ah.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I told my husband that if anything ever happened to him I would rather live with the dogs instead of another mate . I guess I also have seen far too many of those dateline shows where they talk of these senior men and women taking other seniors for their money and them disappearing . Yeah okay , no way , no how . I also have talked to several senior women at our church and they are very happy being by themselves and or with a cat . I told one a couple of sundays ago you need to get you a senior boyfriend she said would rather be laid out in the funeral parlor . LOL . She is a lil doll .
So funny. I feel the same.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:43 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I can't even imagine. If I was single and interested in meeting someone (can't even imagine) it would be in the produce aisle. Wouldn't do internet dating. Ah.
You'd be pretty lonely. Nobody shops any more. You'd more likely meet someone having your groceries delivered. Or the pizza. I've seen some nice looking UPS drivers.

Seriously, I prefer being single but life is online now. Yes, you have to be careful. Yes, there are women and men who have been taken advantage of but that's IRL as well as online.

There's a lot of ways to meet someone. Online is certainly an option.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Last edited by PAhippo; 07-04-2019 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 AM

515 posts, read 360,089 times
Although I have had mixed results with online dating, I will say it saves time. Meeting people in social situations is fine, and a good idea. But from a mans perspective you waste an incredible amount of time trying to determine if a woman is single, interested in dating, and is even willing to go on a date. Some women are married and don't wear a ring. Others are not married but live with a long time partner. Others are tired of men, and don't want to date. The problems are endless. You have to engage the woman in conversation and determine all these things from her answers. One woman I work with has lived with a man for close to 30 years. But she wants to keep it quiet and won't admit it. He never comes to social situations with her. She does not wear a ring. She does not mention her "significant other" in conversation. I have seen man after man ask her out and fail. They wind up confused until they are clued into her living situation. At least with online dating it is more or less upfront. You are both looking to date and have a relationship. It cuts down on some, not all, of the problems that come with meeting somebody.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
Although I have had mixed results with online dating, I will say it saves time. Meeting people in social situations is fine, and a good idea. But from a man's perspective you waste an incredible amount of time trying to determine if a woman is single, interested in dating, and is even willing to go on a date. <snip>At least with online dating it is more or less upfront. You are both looking to date and have a relationship. It cuts down on some, not all, of the problems that come with meeting somebody.
I feel the same and I'm female. It also expands your scope a bit. I'm active in church, in Toastmasters, in the Garden Club (that one's heavily female) and I get to the gym every day. No viable candidates in any of them as far as I know. The guy I'm dating now, whom I met on Match, lives a little over an hour away in a university town I rarely visit. We would not have met off-line- our paths wouldn't have crossed.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:37 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You'd be pretty lonely. Nobody shops any more. You'd more likely meet someone having your groceries delivered. Or the pizza. I've seen some nice looking UPS drivers.

Seriously, I prefer being single but life is online now. Yes, you have to be careful. Yes, there are women and men who have been taken advantage of but that's IRL as well as online.

There's a lot of ways to meet someone. Online is certainly an option.

Welcome to the 21st century.
No one shops anymore? If I go to my local Kroger store in the afternoon it means parking way out, constantly bumping into people and lots of empty shelves. The place is packed every day of the week. It's why I shop at 7 am, which is when they open. Same with the other stores in my area.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:55 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No one shops anymore? If I go to my local Kroger store in the afternoon it means parking way out, constantly bumping into people and lots of empty shelves. The place is packed every day of the week. It's why I shop at 7 am, which is when they open. Same with the other stores in my area.
You don't seem to realize that Alaska is so different than the "lower 48" or you just like to argue about everything. Are you Sarah Palin's husband? jk Isn't Wasilla where she lives?

Last edited by tamiznluv; 07-04-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You don't seem to realize that Alaska is so different than the "lower 48" or you just like to argue about everything. Are you Sarah Palin's husband? jk Isn't Wasilla where she lives?
Laugh of the day! Sarah Palin's hub!

Old 07-04-2019, 10:49 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
To get back to the topic, I put a blurb and a pic I took onto Our Time and then of course was inundated with 1/2 price offers to upgrade but I didn't. I saw in the header of the last email they sent me, I have 232 messages, winks, whatever, waiting for me! JOIN! SPEND MONEY!! Guess my honesty about myself was refreshing?

I was just curious. Wanted to see pics of the men on there. Hmmmm, not interested. Too many look like alkies. Druggies/alkies, been there done that. Nope. It's too bad because I bet there IS a nice man in there but I am not willing to find out. So here I stay with my tablet and tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement