Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM

5,945 posts, read 5,086,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
When a woman writes she "loves riding her Harley" or she is looking for a guy with a motorcycle to take her on "Harley rides at midnight" - well, I pass them by. Just not something I want to be a part of. If I could drive around in a tank I would, after both the car and motorcycle accidents I have seen. Also, when a woman mentions bar activities I am turned off. References to pool, darts, drinking, etc. I'm too old for that, and it amazes me that women that are 60 are still interested in that type of man or behavior.

Dating sites are tough, especially on older women. A lot of men write about their Harley's, car racing, hunting, etc. None of those things interest me at all. I've known a few good people who either died or lost a limb due to motorcycle accidents. Car racing was never big on my list of things to do but I went along with my then husband who liked them and knew people involved in it. I went with a guy for a while who was an avid outdoors-man which included hunting. I'm an animal lover.
When I read a man's profile on a dating site and he mentions any of those hot buttons (for me), I skip over him. I know it won't work. Got tired of twisting myself into a pretzel trying to like things I didn't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM

5,945 posts, read 5,086,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
From what I've heard regarding dating sites, men usually outnumber women in the younger age ranges, but for seniors, the women usually outnumber men.

One factor could be higher mortality rates for men vs. women, so more widows vs. widowers. Also, when talking about people born of previous generations, the women were more likely to have been conditioned to be dependent on a man for resources & support, whereas the men may be more self-sufficient.

Of course, demographics could vary from one region to another, which could skew the numbers in some areas.

In my age group (I'm 77), I've never depended on a man. Always knew I would have to work and either contribute to the marriage and when divorced, I had to depend on myself 100%. I'm not complaining. Well, maybe only because I stayed married so long.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,668,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Yes, a dinner date allows the two people to see:

1) General hygiene (if any),
2) Table manners (again if any), coordination,
3) Mental state and how they deal with others (hostess, wait staff),
4) Sense of humor (if any).

All in a relatively safe setting.
I would never do dinner with any stranger. Coffee date is much cheaper and quicker, if you dont like the guy or don’t think he is suitable, you can always leave earlier than a dinner date.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:22 PM

741 posts, read 1,317,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
thought I'd give POF another shot. I'm not a paid member.
Others don't accept messages from women over a certain age. Or they want women to be a paid member.
I've never heard of anyone on pof requiring others to be a paid member. Are you sure that's just not pof advertising? "To see xxx's extended profile upgrade now!" I've never upgraded, never paid anything, and doubt that anyone has an "extended" profile. You can still receive and/or send messages to anyone who's within the set parameters.

Quote:
Some are into drag racing, motorcycles, camping in the wild, stuff I'm not at all interested in (like I said, I'm old). Whatever happened to nice quiet dates, dinner, movie, walks.
The same thing happens with women. Common ones are traveling the world, going on cruises, going dancing every night, bonfires on the beach, and/or hiking up mountains. Meanwhile their photos are all sitting down, or holding on to something while standing, so they won't fall over. Many of the profiles are not realistic.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:37 PM

105,824 posts, read 107,820,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Dating sites are tough, especially on older women. A lot of men write about their Harley's, car racing, hunting, etc. None of those things interest me at all. I've known a few good people who either died or lost a limb due to motorcycle accidents. Car racing was never big on my list of things to do but I went along with my then husband who liked them and knew people involved in it. I went with a guy for a while who was an avid outdoors-man which included hunting. I'm an animal lover.
When I read a man's profile on a dating site and he mentions any of those hot buttons (for me), I skip over him. I know it won't work. Got tired of twisting myself into a pretzel trying to like things I didn't like.
my ad would read woman wanted who has a boat and loves hunting , fishing, photography and boating . please post picture of boat and motor

Old 09-06-2019, 01:41 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,211,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My buddy is on plenty of fish .... in one weekend he had over 100 responses ....he lives up state and my wife and I happened to be there that weekend .. my wife was going through the responses with him helping him screen them .. it was just nuts
That is just insane. How old is he and does he look in great shape? I know the dating scene changes in the senior stage as there tend to be more women than men as men die younger. Did he have pictures of his yacht or something? lol

Old 09-06-2019, 01:51 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,237,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Because I've never used a dating site but I'm curious....

When someone has things in their profile you aren't interested in, (hobbies etc.) do you pass them by automatically or send a message and try to get to know them better?

It seems like some of the things people say others write in their profiles aren't things anyone typically does on a daily basis like drag racing, camping (unless they live in their car), walks on the beach etc. Do people balance that out with how they live their daily lives, who they really are, or does that come later if people decide to correspond?
I try and gauge just how attached they are to their hobbies and interests if they're not a match with mine. Example: I live very close to the stadium of major football and baseball team but have NO interest in watching or attending pro sports games. One picture of a guy in a T-shirt with a team logo is fine. If every picture is of him at the stadium...well..never mind. Owning a motorcycle is fine. Expecting me to be up for a trip to Alaska on the back seat is not. I have no issue with political differences unless he phrases it as, "If you voted for X we have nothing in common" or "If you didn't vote for X we have nothing in common". That's true no matter what I think of X.

But- it would be boring to date someone with the exact same interests so I'm willing to meet for coffee as long as there are no extreme differences.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
That is just insane. How old is he and does he look in great shape? I know the dating scene changes in the senior stage as there tend to be more women than men as men die younger. Did he have pictures of his yacht or something? lol
He is a fit guy my age , 67 ......he is wealthy .... but he never lets them know that ..in fact while he collects classic cars and drives a late model Porsche , his date car is a Honda ......

He owned a glass and auto repair place in Brooklyn ....well it was smack in the middle of where they wanted to build the new Barclays center ....they bought his business for millions

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I try and gauge just how attached they are to their hobbies and interests if they're not a match with mine. Example: I live very close to the stadium of major football and baseball team but have NO interest in watching or attending pro sports games. One picture of a guy in a T-shirt with a team logo is fine. If every picture is of him at the stadium...well..never mind. Owning a motorcycle is fine. Expecting me to be up for a trip to Alaska on the back seat is not. I have no issue with political differences unless he phrases it as, "If you voted for X we have nothing in common" or "If you didn't vote for X we have nothing in common". That's true no matter what I think of X.

But- it would be boring to date someone with the exact same interests so I'm willing to meet for coffee as long as there are no extreme differences.
I will tell you an interesting story ....my first wife and I were total opposite..we had no common interests except the kids ...

I used to do a lot of stuff alone ...I would see guys hunting and fishing or doing other things I liked together with their wives or girlfriends and I would say to myself how cool is that ...it is like you would never run out of things to talk about or do .

Well fast forward to my current wife ...when I met her we already were in to the gym but she seemed to like everything I did ...she enjoyed shooting guns so we shot competitively on a team , she liked fishing and hunting , she loved photography. So it was like looking in a mirror ..

Well one day we are at the shooting range and we meet a guy from the gym .....he says to my wife I can’t believe you shoot too , I can’t get my wife to even go to the gym....at that moment I realized I became the other guy .....I was now the guy I used to be jealous of

Old 09-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I will tell you an interesting story ....my first wife and I were total opposite..we had no common interests except the kids ...

I used to do a lot of stuff alone ...I would see guys hunting and fishing or doing other things I liked together with their wives or girlfriends and I would say to myself how cool is that ...it is like you would never run out of things to talk about or do .

Well fast forward to my current wife ...when I met her we already were in to the gym but she seemed to like everything I did ...she enjoyed shooting guns so we shot competitively on a team , she liked fishing and hunting , she loved photography. So it was like looking in a mirror ..

Well one day we are at the shooting range and we meet a guy from the gym .....he says to my wife I can’t believe you shoot too , I can’t get my wife to even go to the gym....at that moment I realized I became the other guy .....I was now the guy I used to be jealous of
So now the flip side is we are very competitive with each other ...well actually I am more competitive against her in things like our photography..she couldn’t care less about out doing me. Lol.

But now the problem is we have no adult supervision...whatever I want to buy we need to get two of ...there is never anyone to tell us maybe spending 2k on a lens is not a good idea ..rather now we end up buying 2 ..

We went to B&H PHOTO two months ago and without a thought dropped 6k on two new cameras ....

So be careful what you wish for. Lol. Except for drumming there is nothing I do that she doesn’t so it is always two of everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement