Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:36 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times

Advertisements

I assume it must be quite different for online daters of a generation that didn't grow up with social networking and such.... and I've no doubt that scammers and others with less than sterling intentions know that quite well.

Look at all the "offline" scams that deliberately target retirement-age people; there's no reason why online dating would be much different, I suppose.

That said, my son and DIL met on Match.com when they were in their late twenties, lived together for a year and half, married, and will be celebrating their sixth wedding anniversary this summer. It was the first and only time either of them had used a site like that. So it does happen but I suspect there's a much larger share of pure luck involved than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
i have a friend that meets men online. They are all scammers, but she refuses to believe that

And yea i think they take advantage of older women. They think we are desparate and will believe anything.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I briefly went on match.com and was apparently considered a 'catch' being a single, financially independent, educated, vertical, 65-year-old male. I was in high demand for honey-do jobs, mucking out barns and stables, and running myself ragged with newfound troubled kids and grandkids. I bailed out after 90 days. I had a few dates and a short relationship that was pleasant but was wasting her time (I'm not looking for marriage and she was.). In retrospect it was a mistake.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:56 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I tried an over 50 dating site (at age 75) but the only responses I got were from women my own age which I am not interested in. The 50ish age women I contacted did not respond. I gave up after a few months.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

I assume it must be quite different for online daters of a generation that didn't grow up with social networking and such....

That said, my son and DIL met on Match.com when they were in their late twenties, lived together for a year and half, married, and will be celebrating their sixth wedding anniversary this summer. It was the first and only time either of them had used a site like that. So it does happen but I suspect there's a much larger share of pure luck involved than anything else.
Your assumptions are erroneous. First, we are not a generation that "didn't use social networking and such...".

I've been using computers extensively for 30 years since 1989, and for tons of various uses, both personal and work.

And we're talking about online dating for older people and seniors, not your son and daughter in law who met online in their late twenties.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Thank you everyone. I figured that people must be joking or exaggerating when I heard all those horrible stories about on line dating when you are over 65. I guess that they were not joking or exaggerating.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:38 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
i have a friend that meets men online. They are all scammers, but she refuses to believe that

And yea i think they take advantage of older women. They think we are desparate and will believe anything.
I should say that she talked to them online, never actually met any of them in person

They would send her these pictures that would make you blush. And you think why would a guy like this be interested in an over-weight 60 year old. They would just find pic of good looking guys online and use those as their own.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I tried an over 50 dating site (at age 75) but the only responses I got were from women my own age which I am not interested in. The 50ish age women I contacted did not respond. I gave up after a few months.
And this is why some people think some men are so shallow.

All I can say is "karma." May it bite you in the butt

Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I wouldn't recommend online dating for seniors. There are too many scammers/catfishers out there targeting seniors. Many senior men who go online are looking for much younger women, thinking there might be a chance. They can even set their profile settings so they will only be matched with, or meet, women under a certain age. It's even hard for women in their 40s to do online dating. The men who are interested in older women are often strictly looking for money, help, support and figure that an older woman will fit the bill.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I would also add the pickings are slim for older people on online dating websites.

Too many undesirables, and not enough desirables.

And the fact that older men are often not interested in women of their own age is another strong factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement