Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 12:47 PM

858 posts, read 680,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, and you left out hearing aid companies and walk-in bathtubs. It also makes you eligible for more of the robo-call scam phone calls, especially if you are in an "affluent" zip code.
Yes, how could I have forgotten thoise. I guess I need more ads for brain pills and memory training software
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:09 PM

65 posts, read 50,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Anyone else notice that once you turn 60, its as if someone opened a floodgate on companies spamming you for retirement scams, home refinance, insurance, retirement homes/communities and burial plans!

For anyone that thinks big business doesn't know everything about you..this is hard cold proof!

Well, where I live, your name, address, age, and voter's registration are public information maintained by the county UNLESS you write them and request the information be made non-public (which I did, but the cat was already out of the bag). I also periodically Google my own name, and if I find it on a public information website, some of the websites you call also request to opt out.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:17 PM

938 posts, read 423,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Back in the day, a can of sardines, a pack of soda crackers, some hot sauce and a coke was a working mans meal.
Or a fishing mans meal!

Old 06-28-2019, 03:21 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,528 times
Quote:
Anyone else notice that once you turn 60, its as if someone opened a floodgate on companies spamming you for retirement scams, home refinance, insurance, retirement homes/communities and burial plans!

For anyone that thinks big business doesn't know everything about you..this is hard cold proof!
Like the OP said, wait until you're about six months away from turning 65. The junk calls and non-stop in trying to sell you add'l medicare insurance coverage and medical devices.

It got so bad I had to change my land line number, they even had my name. We'll see how the new number (unlisted, unpublished) turns out.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:43 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Or a fishing mans meal!
Yep, I always thought it made the bait more effective, too. I still keep a can or two in the pantry.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:55 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Cremation. We get many solicitations for cremation.

The local Brookdale facility started spamming us when I turned 55. Gee, thanks. At 55 I was definitely ready to eat crappy cafeteria food and totter around in a tiny apartment. I suppose it's also possible they hoped we would place one of our parents there.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:11 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Though Spam is convenient, easy to use and has a long shelf-life, it's also very high in fat, calories and sodium and low in important nutrients, such as protein, vitamins and minerals. Additionally, it's highly processed and contains preservatives like sodium nitrite that may cause several adverse health effects."

You should consider canned sardines instead. Much better for you.
"They contain calcium and other vital nutrients. Omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids help prevent heart disease due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamins. Sardines are an excellent source of vitamin B-12. Calcium. Minerals. Protein. Greek salad with sardines. Canned sardine fritters. Spaghetti con le sarde."
I was actually thinking the canned meat too when I opened the thread. But let's not pretend sardines are a substitute. My wife likes SPAM, she would not touch sardines.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,504,647 times
No different when daughter was in her last year of college, close to graduating. Boy did those snail mail mailings come fast and thick, especially from the military. That is how the 3 of us decided she should go into the military and let them pay for her Masters Degree.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:36 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Fried SPAM on toast! An old favorite.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:17 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
My web presence must be very limited and I keep a good spam blocker fully engaged. Don't care to use a smartphone which probably helps. Haven't noticed any such flood. If something does sneak through I ignore, unsubscribe, and delete. Maybe a little more snail mail but it doesn't make it into the house. It gets pitched into the recycle barrel in the garage. The less you put yourself "out there" the less easily they find you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement