U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,203,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Sounds like you joined AARP! I made the mistake of joining for one year, I got inundated with junk mail
Is that where all that crap originated from? ugh.. I joined AARP for the cell phones and I'm constantly getting phone calls on the cell and landline for medical equipment, walk in tubs and stair lifts, etc. and the mail ad's to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 09:24 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,532,247 times
Default You can stop the junk telecommuting calls!

You can end the telemarketing calls if you want to stop them, it's your choice. We used to have CenuryLink for our landline telephone service. CenturyLink has a feature that's called "No Solicitation", which stops the telemarketing robo calls. Later, we switched to Comcast landline service, then the telemarketing junk calls started again because Comcast is too stupid to offer a service to stop the telemarketing junk calls. We then bought a Digititone ProSeries Blocker, and programmed the "white list" of telephone numbers that normally call us. That put an end to the telemarketing junk calls again. If you're not on the "white list", you must leave a voicemail, so unknown numbers can leave you a message, but the junk callers almost never try to leave voicemail. The Digitone ProSeries Blocker costs about $70, and is money well spent to put an end to the junk telephone calls. It has a "Black" list and "White" list. The "Black" list of blocked callers is pretty useless, since there are unlimited new junk call telephone numbers. The "White" list is extremely effective to stop the junk telephone callers.

https://digitone.com/call-blocker.html

If you have an iPhone cellphone, you can silence the junk telephone calls. You download a silent ringtone, such as the "Silence, Silent Void of Sound" ringtone. Then assign the "Silence, Silent Void of Sound" ringtone as your "default" ringtone. Next, program each number on your contact list, one by one, to have an audible ringtone. Then when you get a junk telemarketing call on your cellphone, your cellphone will not ring or vibrate. If you receive a call from a number not in your contact list, then they will have to leave a voicemail. You can then add them to your contact list and assign them an audible ringtone.

If the iWatch4 is set to follow the iPhone, the iWatch4 will still ring with the junk telephone calls, which is a flaw in Apple's software. The new iOS version 13 coming out soon will have a feature to stop callers who are not in your contact list or e-mails from ringing your cellphone. If the number is unknown, they will have to leave a voicemail. Hopefully, the iOS 13 version will fix the problem where the iWatch4 still rings with the junk callers if the iWatch4 is configured to follow the iPhone.

You can do things to stop the junk telephone callers, instead of putting up with the all the junk callers. It's your choice! Adding your numbers to the "Do Not Call" list is totally ineffective and a waste of time. You need to do things that actually work to stop the junk callers. The call logs on my iPhone and Digitone ProSeries Blocker still shows that the junk callers are still trying to get through, but they can't ring through, and that puts an end to their annoyance!

I've heard that you can stop the physical junk mail by filling out a form at the post office.

Last edited by davephan; 06-29-2019 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 10:54 AM

404 posts, read 1,170,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have been deliberately using a misleading date of birth for
all of my on line activities, for almost 20 years, and that
fictitious DoB will turn 50 next month, so it will be interesting
to see who will respond to my "turning 50"

Will have to wait another 10 years to see how they respond
to me "turning 60."
I don't know if that is the cause. Many states sell your driver's license data, so I don't think you've fooled them. I believe that's how they got my info.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:23 AM

1,915 posts, read 4,605,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Anyone else notice that once you turn 60, its as if someone opened a floodgate on companies spamming you for retirement scams, home refinance, insurance, retirement homes/communities and burial plans!

For anyone that thinks big business doesn't know everything about you..this is hard cold proof!
Big Business, along with those "credit agencies" (for example Experian), all have tons of information on us, none of which we agreed to having them collect. And there's no way to stop them. There is something very wrong with this picture.

Companies buy mailing lists that are demographically very sophisticated. I don't get spam email, but I do get spam mailings through the post office. It's big business for the PO, since 1st class mail is dying. The PO also sells our names and addresses to companies to make $$, and there is no way to opt out.

Whenever I get spam USPS mail, I send a written request to "permanently delete all of my information from their databases, and to not send any more direct mail to the current address or any future addresses." I also tell them in writing not to sell or lease my information to any other company (something commonly done), I end the letter with "cease and desist all mailings immediately."

I don't call them since they will then have your phone number. There is no way to set your number to "private" on a phone when calling an 800#. (You can use *67 before you dial a regular number to block the caller ID so they don't see your number, but any 800# overrides that feature, including 877, 855, 844.) Plus I want a written record of my communications when requesting they cease all mailings.

I keep copies of the letters in my computer, and by the time they send a third junk mailing after I've sent them three letters to stop, I threaten legal action. That usually stops future mailings.

I can tell you this, however, some age-related mailings are hard to stop. HearUSA, for example. They don't get it. And I will call a lawyer if they don't stop.

As far as robocalls, I have hundreds of phone numbers on my "blocked" list on my iphone. I never answer any call that I don't recognize. Most of these spammers don't leave voice mail, and even if they do, it's usually unintelligible. I always immediately block any phone numbers I don't recognize and who are clearly spam.

I've even looked up some of these spam robocalls in Google using the phone number, and most of the time, it is a number that has a history of spam reported. Some of them impersonate credit card companies or telecoms. My advice is to be careful not to answer them. I only get 1-2 a month now.

Regarding spam emails, some email services like Yahoo, have a "blocked" address feature in the settings. I have hundreds of email addresses that I've put in there over the years. I get very little spam email now.

These spam emails can be very risky to open, and can be full of malware that will infect your computer. Some of them look like they are from legit companies (spoofing), so be very careful. I've even called companies that seemed to have sent an email before opening it, just to make sure it was from them. In some cases, it wasn't, and I ended up forwarding the spam email to the representative (at a financial services company).

If I get a spam email, I simply look at the address without opening it and enter that address in my "blocked" list.

It takes some real effort to make all of this junk spam stop, unfortunately. Very annoying.

Someone mentioned in another post that the DMV sells our info? Whoa! I didn't realize that. I will check it out. I do think that car dealerships sell your info when you purchase a car. I kept getting spam "extended warranty" offers after the manufacturer's warranty ended. How would these bozos otherwise even know what car I owned or when the warranty expired? Could be DMV, but I think it was the dealership. Some of these spam mailings had no company name, only a PO Box. I sent my standard "cease and desist" letter. It usually takes 2-3 letters to get them to stop. All of this is a real pain!

Last edited by xz2y; 06-29-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Is that where all that crap originated from? ugh.. I joined AARP for the cell phones and I'm constantly getting phone calls on the cell and landline for medical equipment, walk in tubs and stair lifts, etc. and the mail ad's to go with it.
Big mistake. AARP is a waste of money and a spam factory. I was with them for several years due to the discount on my car insurance. Then I figured out that the discount was less than the membership cost! I ditched AARP, but of course they still send their crap mailings.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I've heard that you can stop the physical junk mail by filling out a form at the post office.
I have not heard of that. I will check it out. My postal carrier tells me there is no way to "opt out" in a blanket way from of all the junk mail from the PO. He says that the only way to opt out is by contacting individual companies to be removed from their mailing lists, which is what I do. See my above post.

This particular carrier is a real pain, quite honestly. He thinks he's doing me a favor by putting junk mail from previous apartments (lived in 10+ years ago) in my current mail box. I keep telling him to throw it away and he won't do it. He should only be putting mail in the box from the current address. Forwarding services expire after 12 months and don't even include 3rd class mail. A real idiot.

If people really could opt out across the board from PO junk mail, a lot of people would do it and the PO would lose money. But since someone mentioned it, I'll check it out.

The PO makes much more $$ from junk mail than 1st class mail.

Last edited by xz2y; 06-29-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 12:14 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Just wait and see what you'll be getting when you're 63.5- 64yoa up to Medicare age 65!

I'm 76 and STILL getting calls about a "better insurance". I simply don't answer the phone anymore and all the mail ads hit the trash can before I get to the house.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:18 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Like the OP said, wait until you're about six months away from turning 65. The junk calls and non-stop in trying to sell you add'l medicare insurance coverage and medical devices.

It got so bad I had to change my land line number, they even had my name. We'll see how the new number (unlisted, unpublished) turns out.

My number has been unlisted/unpublished for at least 10 years and they still find me. Even know my name. I'm cutting off my landline next month. Not because of that but because the bill keeps going up and up and I've changed nothing.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:12 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,462,971 times
I haven't noticed any uptick in scams in general, and I'm 60.

Scams started before I was born, and have continued non-stop every single day since. ESPECIALLY in the USA, where our entire economy is scam based.

There isn't a day that goes by when somebody isn't scamming somebody else. You can't even buy a car without them at least trying to scam you. In fact, you can't even get a car repaired without an attempt to scam. More so if you are a woman.

People need to stay aware, because scams have always been out there, and always will be.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:39 PM

2,781 posts, read 930,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Cremation. We get many solicitations for cremation.

The local Brookdale facility started spamming us when I turned 55. Gee, thanks. At 55 I was definitely ready to eat crappy cafeteria food and totter around in a tiny apartment. I suppose it's also possible they hoped we would place one of our parents there.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or