Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

Hormel makes the best Spam.

About once a year I'll buy a can and indulge on Fried Spam sandwiches. No need to wait till you retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 07:38 AM

858 posts, read 681,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
You can end the telemarketing calls if you want to stop them, it's your choice. We used to have CenuryLink for our landline telephone service. CenturyLink has a feature that's called "No Solicitation", which stops the telemarketing robo calls. Later, we switched to Comcast landline service, then the telemarketing junk calls started again because Comcast is too stupid to offer a service to stop the telemarketing junk calls. We then bought a Digititone ProSeries Blocker, and programmed the "white list" of telephone numbers that normally call us. That put an end to the telemarketing junk calls again. If you're not on the "white list", you must leave a voicemail, so unknown numbers can leave you a message, but the junk callers almost never try to leave voicemail. The Digitone ProSeries Blocker costs about $70, and is money well spent to put an end to the junk telephone calls. It has a "Black" list and "White" list. The "Black" list of blocked callers is pretty useless, since there are unlimited new junk call telephone numbers. The "White" list is extremely effective to stop the junk telephone callers.

https://digitone.com/call-blocker.html

If you have an iPhone cellphone, you can silence the junk telephone calls. You download a silent ringtone, such as the "Silence, Silent Void of Sound" ringtone. Then assign the "Silence, Silent Void of Sound" ringtone as your "default" ringtone. Next, program each number on your contact list, one by one, to have an audible ringtone. Then when you get a junk telemarketing call on your cellphone, your cellphone will not ring or vibrate. If you receive a call from a number not in your contact list, then they will have to leave a voicemail. You can then add them to your contact list and assign them an audible ringtone.

If the iWatch4 is set to follow the iPhone, the iWatch4 will still ring with the junk telephone calls, which is a flaw in Apple's software. The new iOS version 13 coming out soon will have a feature to stop callers who are not in your contact list or e-mails from ringing your cellphone. If the number is unknown, they will have to leave a voicemail. Hopefully, the iOS 13 version will fix the problem where the iWatch4 still rings with the junk callers if the iWatch4 is configured to follow the iPhone.

You can do things to stop the junk telephone callers, instead of putting up with the all the junk callers. It's your choice! Adding your numbers to the "Do Not Call" list is totally ineffective and a waste of time. You need to do things that actually work to stop the junk callers. The call logs on my iPhone and Digitone ProSeries Blocker still shows that the junk callers are still trying to get through, but they can't ring through, and that puts an end to their annoyance!

I've heard that you can stop the physical junk mail by filling out a form at the post office.

Is this more SPAM?

Old 07-01-2019, 09:30 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
I started getting the spam when I hit 50.
If there is a post paid return envelope I stuff everything into it and mail it back to them.
No quicker way to stop spam mail is to have them pay 2 times for it..once to me and once more back to them.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hormel makes the best Spam.

About once a year I'll buy a can and indulge on Fried Spam sandwiches. No need to wait till you retire.
I took Family Leave for two months in 1999 to care for my grandmother while my mother recovered from surgery. Mentioned Spam one day and Nana's eyes lit up and she said she wanted some, so I got it and made it for the two of us for lunch. She was 92 years old and pretty much ate greasy, salty food all her life. And sweets. Candy, cookies, ice cream. (She would live another two years).

She drank tea all day though. Made me say "hmmm".

Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I took Family Leave for two months in 1999 to care for my grandmother while my mother recovered from surgery. Mentioned Spam one day and Nana's eyes lit up and she said she wanted some, so I got it and made it for the two of us for lunch. She was 92 years old and pretty much ate greasy, salty food all her life. And sweets. Candy, cookies, ice cream. (She would live another two years).

She drank tea all day though. Made me say "hmmm".
Believe it or not, my husband and I like spam sandwich once in a blue moon. Actually we buy them for earthquake food so we have to it them before expiration date. It’s lower and cheaper version than pate. Lol

Old 07-02-2019, 09:48 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Believe it or not, my husband and I like spam sandwich once in a blue moon. Actually we buy them for earthquake food so we have to it them before expiration date. It’s lower and cheaper version than pate. Lol
That stuff should last a lifetime. The expiration date is just to satisfy regulators and get people to consume the stuff faster.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM

858 posts, read 681,295 times
I never considered that literal SPAM Lovers would highjack the thread. LOL.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:31 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
[quote=NewbieHere;55566632]... buy them for earthquake food ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That stuff should last a lifetime. The expiration date is just to satisfy regulators and get people to consume the stuff faster.
Not really to get you to consume it faster, but to ensure it rotates off of the shelf, first arrived, first sold. Just so that the oldest can doesn't get left at the back of the store shelf for 15 years, which is about what I have read the true shelf life is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I never considered that literal SPAM Lovers would highjack the thread. LOL.
Why not. The e-mail version of Spam was named after the canned food (based, I think, on a Monty Python skit).

Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Something Posing As Meat :

https://www.hormelfoods.com/newsroom...ys-back-story/

Old 07-05-2019, 07:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
And here I thought this thread was going to be about:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement