Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 04:26 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a website or document that explains the different levels of care for Seniors ? ISTM that a lot of folks mis-use words like independent, assisted, nursing, personal care, memory care, etc.

Ideally this info would cover all the possible stages, from "0ver-55" to Hospice. And would include info on which are or are not covered by Medicare or Medicaid or LTCI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 05:05 PM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
I can't give you an answer but I will second your remarks. I am having trouble pinpointing what I want and terms are sort of used and swapped casually. Make it difficult to do the research

Old 07-06-2019, 02:38 PM

819 posts, read 571,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Anyone know of a website or document that explains the different levels of care for Seniors ? ISTM that a lot of folks mis-use words like independent, assisted, nursing, personal care, memory care, etc.

Ideally this info would cover all the possible stages, from "0ver-55" to Hospice. And would include info on which are or are not covered by Medicare or Medicaid or LTCI.
Though there are plenty of websites that might give explanations - you can't count on the information being totally accurate for an individual case.

As a general rule, Medicare does not cover anything other than skilled nursing care. They do cover some personal care, but only if the person is also receiving skilled care. For instance, in my area, a person receiving skilled care home health visits, they also qualify for personal care services - but that would generally just be someone coming by and giving them a bath - not day to day personal care.

For Medicare to cover skilled care in a nursing home, the person would first need to be be admitted to a hospital for several days (immediately proceeding, or within a given amount of time) prior to the nursing home admission. Medicare will pay up to 100 days, however, that is not automatic. For instance, if the skilled care the person needs (that qualifies them) is physical therapy, they also have to keep showing progress for Medicare to pay. So you really can't count on a full 100 days.

To find out what Medicare covers, you can go to the Medicare website, which has a wealth of information on their guidelines. Don't just go by what some random website says about what Medicare covers, because they often just hit the highlights, and don't cover the details.

As far as Medicaid is concerned, that would differ by state. But many state Medicaid programs do pay for custodial care (i.e. help with ADLs - activities of daily living). In my state (Illinois) they will pay for it in Supportive Living Facilities, which is similar to Assisted Living Facilities, but licensed a bit differently by the state. However, you have to be assessed at a certain level of need before they will pay for it.

To find out what Medicaid covers in your state, you would want to go to the state's Medicaid website to start your search.

As far as Long Term Care Insurance goes, that can depend on the insurance company. It also seems to be complicated by the fact that different terms are used in different areas and a different times, which is something I am dealing with right now - trying to decipher all the different terms. Add to that the fact that many LTCI companies try to deny claims complicates that further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement