U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 AM

147 posts, read 42,299 times

Advertisements

Anyone else notice that once you turn 60, its as if someone opened a floodgate on companies spamming you for retirement scams, home refinance, insurance, retirement homes/communities and burial plans!

For anyone that thinks big business doesn't know everything about you..this is hard cold proof!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,746 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Yes, and you left out hearing aid companies and walk-in bathtubs. It also makes you eligible for more of the robo-call scam phone calls, especially if you are in an "affluent" zip code.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:59 AM

887 posts, read 458,017 times
Just wait and see what you'll be getting when you're 63.5- 64yoa up to Medicare age 65!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:44 AM

14,011 posts, read 20,317,250 times
"Though Spam is convenient, easy to use and has a long shelf-life, it's also very high in fat, calories and sodium and low in important nutrients, such as protein, vitamins and minerals. Additionally, it's highly processed and contains preservatives like sodium nitrite that may cause several adverse health effects."

You should consider canned sardines instead. Much better for you.
"They contain calcium and other vital nutrients. Omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids help prevent heart disease due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamins. Sardines are an excellent source of vitamin B-12. Calcium. Minerals. Protein. Greek salad with sardines. Canned sardine fritters. Spaghetti con le sarde."

Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 AM

2,781 posts, read 928,188 times
I have been deliberately using a misleading date of birth for
all of my on line activities, for almost 20 years, and that
fictitious DoB will turn 50 next month, so it will be interesting
to see who will respond to my "turning 50"

Will have to wait another 10 years to see how they respond
to me "turning 60."

Old 06-28-2019, 10:57 AM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Anyone else notice that once you turn 60, its as if someone opened a floodgate on companies spamming you for retirement scams, home refinance, insurance, retirement homes/communities and burial plans!

For anyone that thinks big business doesn't know everything about you..this is hard cold proof!
I turn 60 next month. I'm bracing myself but I don't expect to be bothered much.

-I don't answer phone calls from unknown numbers
-My email has a spam folder where 98% of spam emails go
-I don't care what gets put in my mailbox. I throw it away.

I don't expect much to change.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:03 AM

5,211 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Though Spam is convenient, easy to use and has a long shelf-life, it's also very high in fat, calories and sodium and low in important nutrients, such as protein, vitamins and minerals. Additionally, it's highly processed and contains preservatives like sodium nitrite that may cause several adverse health effects."

You should consider canned sardines instead. Much better for you.
"They contain calcium and other vital nutrients. Omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids help prevent heart disease due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamins. Sardines are an excellent source of vitamin B-12. Calcium. Minerals. Protein. Greek salad with sardines. Canned sardine fritters. Spaghetti con le sarde."
Back in the day, a can of sardines, a pack of soda crackers, some hot sauce and a coke was a working mans meal.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:04 AM

5,433 posts, read 4,080,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have been deliberately using a misleading date of birth for
all of my on line activities, for almost 20 years, and that
fictitious DoB will turn 50 next month, so it will be interesting
to see who will respond to my "turning 50"

Will have to wait another 10 years to see how they respond
to me "turning 60."
Common tell the truth, thatís really just for your online dating profile

Old 06-28-2019, 11:11 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,523,023 times
If I get any, it goes to my spam folder. When I've glanced at it, I don't see anything age-related, though.

No phone calls, no mail. Pretty stress-free, on that score.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
I just turned 60 and have seen no increase. DH just turned 65 and we got BOMBARDED with Medicare stuff. We're still getting phone calls almost daily of people trying to sign himup for Medicare supplement plans and we are very annoyed by it. We have insurance through our former employers (yay!), so we don't need any of their "help".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or