U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 09:37 PM

996 posts, read 384,185 times

Advertisements

Just to make a few more bucks? Is life and decisions ever really *that* simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 09:43 PM

6,562 posts, read 3,659,218 times
I sprinted to the door and never looked back.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:22 AM

16,349 posts, read 10,334,620 times
I worked an extra 2 weeks to cover a weekend. It was a favor to the supervisor who did the scheduling. No regrets. She was/is a good supervisor-such a rarity.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:28 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,522,722 times
Yes, I worked two years beyond my government retirement eligibility and am very glad that I did so. Retiring early can mean leaving a lot of money on the table. Those were my highest earning years. The extra earnings combined with a pension multiplier that went up at age 62 added about $12K a year to my pension. My home was finally paid off so I was able to save or invest that money to have a solid emergency fund. The stock market was on a roll and my 401k increased a few hundred thousand. Those extra two years increased my retirement income about 20%. Rather than having to carefully watch my pennies, I now have the assets to travel and spend on other things and have a greater sense of financial security.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:46 AM

245 posts, read 89,595 times
I don't know anyone who still works just because they like their job. I do know people who work because they need the income or benefits.

Myself? I couldn't get out the door quick enough. My last employer sucked.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:49 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
For me it was the opposite of what the OP describes. I couldn't wait to leave and left plenty of $$ on the table retiring early, but I knew we would be fine with the income we would have, and I jumped at the chance.

But yes, I knew many people just like the OP describes. One guy, Rich P., put it off and put it off for years. We had a pension plan that allowed for retirement at 55. Everybody asked him when he'd retire and finally he did. He was a super fitness nut, one of the leanest and most athletic guys I've ever met. He dropped dead of a sudden cardiac arrest at 65, 6 months after he retired. We still call dying right after retirement "pulling a Rich P."

Old 06-29-2019, 09:10 AM

14,025 posts, read 20,336,588 times
The short answer is: Yes.
I had this "one more day" attitude. Every day that I worked meant one more day that I did not take $140 out of retirement funds.
The job was easy (home office, build websites).
Finally, at age 70.5, I fired my largest customer and am now 87.3% retired.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:19 AM

15,216 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
So many people I know who are in their sixties are dreaming of retirement but they don't have the courage to call it quits. They likely have enough money to retire but are holding out just one or two years so they can make a few more bucks in salary, get more Social Security wage credits, or can afford to hold out until they are 67-70 to collect SS Benefits.

The workplace has passed them by and they sense that many people at their employer would like to see them retire and open a spot to someone younger. But they don't have the heart to let them go.

I ask them each year when they are going to retire and they keep saying NEXT YEAR. NEXT YEAR comes and goes and they are still there even more miserable than the before. This goes on until the management team at work finally terminates them- and takes them out of their misery- or health issues forced them out of the workforce.

Does this sound like you or anyone you know?
Well, I'd say few workplaces hang on to people who aren't pulling ENOUGH of their weight. They can hire and fire at will so YOUR opinion of who should retire doesn't mean beans. People can hold out as long as they can work - and only THEY can decide when they want to retire. If they are forced into it, that's something else.

If you don't like working with old people get a job at a tech company and be prepared for some real fear of losing your job when you're 40 - but of course time will have passed you by....so buh-bye!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:22 AM

1,439 posts, read 722,050 times
I found of those who stayed (not including the types who HAD to stay because they didn't/couldn't save a dime, made poor money decisions, multiple divorces, etc.) when they were able to leave fell into 2 types:

1. The greedy/envious type who wanted every dime to rub together, always seeing leaving as less money in their wringing hands or someone else then making more than them overall. Always the more, more, MORE!!! money.

2. The ones who defined their existences by their jobs....the "what would I do with myself without this job, I'd be bored", derived self importance from their titles and the ones who felt the place couldn't run without them, unable to reconcile themselves to the idea that they were replaceable cogs in the machine...which it turns out everyone is.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 3,699,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
So many people I know who are in their sixties are dreaming of retirement but they don't have the courage to call it quits. ...

Does this sound like you or anyone you know?
And those who have held on to their jobs longer than they "should" are supposed to give an answer so those who didn't can sit back and feel superior to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or