U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:05 PM

6,943 posts, read 3,855,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
They have an over 6000 sq ft home with I'm willing to bet a top of the line cooling system, a theater room and water features among other great things.
I don't think they need to be outdoors unless in a swimming pool.

Lots of people like to be outside. Experiencing their own version of climate change can be problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 PM

6,943 posts, read 3,855,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I guess this proves money can't buy happiness. We're in a 1400 sq ft home in NJ and haven't taken a trip since we retired here 11 years ago. We keep it at 71 degrees 24x7/365.
Out of curiosity is there ever a time when the windows are opened and the temperature is permitted to vary a few degrees as fresh air is allowed to circulate?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:57 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,096,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Out of curiosity is there ever a time when the windows are opened and the temperature is permitted to vary a few degrees as fresh air is allowed to circulate?
Probably when it is 71 degrees outside?

(Can't sleep)

Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 AM

7,866 posts, read 10,540,715 times
As is the case in many marriages there is one party who is the worrier (me) and the other the carefree spirit. Generally I pack the car when we go away because DH has tendency to toss and run and he admits this. I on the other hand worry about coverage for the back of the car, when we stop and access to things we might want or need and we don't have a trunk.

The one time I was too tired to pack the car the night before a trip, my departure morning routine (water shut off, lights on timers, coffee maker off, plants taken care of etc) was disturbed because I was busy packing the car, and about an hour out I asked did you shut off the coffee maker? Nope. I thought you did, you always check that stuff. True, but I usually have the car packed. Thankfully a neighbor has a key and she shut it off and pulled the plug.

My point is that sometimes spontaneity is only possible because the other party handles the "minor details."

Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,663,961 times
So true.

DH sees the big picture and I have the checklist. I pull him back from the brink at times and he gives me a gentle push when needed. Yin and yang works for us.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 AM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
I’m both the big picture and the checklist in my household. Lol. He is everything else. Lately, he doesn’t even like to drive, even though he still drives. He prefers that I’d chauffeuring him around in my SUV, it’s like riding in a limo because I don’t drive aggressively, smooth ride., while he watches the scenery.He doesn’t like when the kids drive even. Even eating lobsters, I had to crack for him. Otherwise, he’d just rather have fish and chips. He gets lazier in his old age.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times
We have no major or minor details to deal with, other than sending a text to activate the cat-sitter. I don't have to be home, I can do that en route.

All of the lighting and irrigation is automated. If we're to be gone more than a few days, cat-sitter is also house-sitter and has a 60 item checklist she has to work through on a weekly basis, including looking in on the koi, running water in each of the sinks, making sure appliances are off, empty and their doors are open to forestall mildew, bringing in the mail, etc.

That's normal in this area. Many people snowbird and have a house-sitter checking on their place regularly through the summer and fall.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:12 AM

2,030 posts, read 857,321 times
Sure. When the weather outside is in the mid to high 60's we open windows and let fresh air in. It just doesn't happen that often. At night when we are in bed we let the temp drop to 69 if it is cool outside. If we are cooking we might open the kitchen window a bit. But our target is 71 in the summer, and 71 in the winter when we are awake. The house isn't air tight so there is air moving around from the doors and windows. I love fresh air but there's not many days of it in NJ without it being cold and damp or hot and humid, so we make our own climate. Keeping the windows shut most of the time keeps out the noise and dust as well as letting us stay at a comfortable level of temperature and humidity. Plus the air is filtered continuously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

Last edited by bobspez; 06-29-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 10:54 AM

4,652 posts, read 3,235,973 times
I missed what the humor was.

IMHO, religious jokes are unacceptable.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:01 AM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
[mod cut - deleted]

geo-caching sounds interesting.....

Wow, why would you say something insulting like this to someone? I mean it wouldn't be for me, or you, but some may enjoy it.

My husbands ex FIL turned metal detecting into a whole thing. He actually made 10s of thousands of dollars (beach community!) and was featured in a couple magazines. He was a retired, something in the military.... some kind of super high end engineer, super successful.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-02-2019 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement